Bad gene's, or injury? And what is this

BuckNasty83

Been watching this Lil feller all summer. Yall think it's an injury, or genetics? Also just noticed he has a tumor like lump on his chest

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-07-15-18-14-51-1280x720.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-07-15-18-14-51-1280x720.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 958
  • Screenshot_2017-07-15-18-17-31-1280x720.png
    Screenshot_2017-07-15-18-17-31-1280x720.png
    956.1 KB · Views: 957

sghoghunter

Hard to tell but kinda looks like it's growing out his head lower than it should also. I wouldn't shoot him just for that but that's just me,I like them wierd ones

across the river

That isn't a genetic trait. The pedicle is almost on the side of the head, so it doesn't look as much like the antler is deformed, as it does the location of the medical caused the antler to start off to the side of the head instead of going up. He may have been injured when he was little which is way may have caused it. I don't think it is related to the goiter.

MCBUCK

The only way to know for sure if it were a genetic trait would be to do an actual DNA test on him and his ancestors/lineage. I would guess an injury of some sort; ran into a tree, hit by another deers hoof...etc.... It could even be something as simple as an insect(s) bite(s) on or near the pedicle.

BuckNasty83

Will it always grow like that? I had pic's of him when they first started growing and it was growing straight down soon as it started growing. Didn't notice this last year, but he may be new to the neighborhood.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
That isn't a genetic trait. The pedicle is almost on the side of the head, so it doesn't look as much like the antler is deformed, as it does the location of the medical caused the antler to start off to the side of the head instead of going up. He may have been injured when he was little which is way may have caused it. I don't think it is related to the goiter.

This. It looks like he could have suffered a skull fracture and the pedicil has moved or could have been born that way I guess. I'd let him grow. He could grow a unique rack at some point

Forest Grump

The swelling is not a goiter. Goiter is a disease of the thyroid, which is located at the larynx (middle of a deer's neck). That is more likely an abscess, & may be related to the abnormal antler growth. If it has a skull fracture they don't often heal & frequently result in brain abscesses, especially in areas originally stocked with Wisconsin's.

If he were on my land, I'd green-light anybody to take him out. Look him over real close before you eat him too..

cape buffalo

i had a deer similar to this one. i let him go and the next year his rack grew back normal ..i think it is a injury ..