Deer Farming - What do you think?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I'm 100% against deer breeding farms and high fence hunting.

T-N-T

I "feel" like people will start any business that will make money.
White tailed deer make money.
I also feel like if you want to shoot a 42 point yearling, you better have the proper bank statements to back it up.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking that most of the nay-sayers on this site would do it if they could afford it. I would if I could!

I think you are living on a different planet from most of us deer hunters, then. I would just as soon go out in the pasture and shoot one of my neighbor's cows. Hunting on a deer farm has absolutely no appeal for me. I have shot cows, hogs, and other livestock in a pen. I prefer to hunt deer. I would 100x rather kill a public-land forkhorn any day as one of those 200" tame mutated pseudo-deer. And that is 100% honesty. And I'd say I'm not the only one. Believe what you want.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I don't agree with deer farming. I don't agree with high fence hunting.
I put my shotgun down rather than shoot tame quail.

I don't really care what others choose to do with their own $$. I figure every dude and dudette hunting inside a fence with a guide and a 15x scope is one I ain't gonna see wherever I'm hunting. I'm absolutely certain of that.

I try not to lose sleep over what others do and don't do as long as what they're doing is legal. I have my own set of hunting ethics and figure most other hunters do too. I'm also pretty darn certain no two sets are exactly alike.

Is what they're doing on farms and fenced "fantasy" hunt areas worse than the guy walking in on your lease or private property? Pretty sure none of those people hunting such places on the weekend are not the same folks stealing treestands, 4 wheelers or whatever during the week either.

spencer12

I would not and will not ever shoot a deer behind a fence. Nor do I ever want someone releasing a giant pen raised buck into the wild to spread it's genetics into the general population. No, no, no.

I actually have a close friend who works for a "game preserve" that's around 2,000 acres with exotics. (Axis, Stags, Rams) There are also wild deer that can enter and exit the enclosure at certain spots. I can hunt there any time I want for FREE and shoot all the whitetails I care to. I've seen them on many occasions and had the go ahead. My answer then and now is still no.

six

i just don't see the appeal. I'd be just as proud of killing a 300" deer on a video game as a deer farm. Probably more so based on my lack of electronic gaming skills.

ProAngler

One thing I really like about the GADNR is their stance on deer farming. Hopefully it stays illegaL here.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
hate it. i dont even like food plots. why would i want to build a deer?

Bellasdaddy1611

I'm a 100 percent against high fence and deer farming. Matter of a fact my partner at work and I were talking about it this morning. I actually said I would not kill it if is was free let a lone pay bay big money. I don't care if it's 10,000 acre high fence and even if it was harder to kill in that fence than free range, I just could not feel good about killing it. Not only that, I don't really have a desire to kill one of those freaks with horns going everywhere even if it is free range. I feel like it s a genetic disorder that causes that, deer horns are not suppose to look like that.

Sgt.USMC

I wouldn't pay to hunt there even if I had Trumps money!

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
It gives the regular hunting public a bad name, bottom line. Hunt for the experience...if a trophy happens, it does, but really.

A bunch of ED individuals that did not get hugged enough from their parents...

bone2112

Despite all the moral and ethical issues with deer farms the real problem is diseases. And that affects us all. So the freedom ends there.

Tenkiller

I think i'll pass on the high fence "hunting," IMO once you put a fence around it it's no longer wild, it's livestock.
However, just because I don't want to do it doesn't mean I'm going to trash someone else for doing it. Also, I don't want it to be outlawed because if one type of hunting is outlawed then the anti's have their foot in the door to outlaw other types of hunting.
If that's what you want to do, do it. But don't expect a pat on the back from most hunters for the big deer you killed.

T-N-T

i just don't see the appeal. I'd be just as proud of killing a 300" deer on a video game as a deer farm. Probably more so based on my lack of electronic gaming skills.

Lol