Deer killed with worms

mcseals

A friend of mine killed a doe in cohuta last weekend went to gut her and she was full of worms. Anybody ever seen that before ?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Every deer on the planet probably has worms.

Etoncathunter

They are like any other animal. They all have fleas, ticks, and worms. Just like your pets at home do if you don't treat them regularly. It's just part on nature.

We killed a buck one time with little black wormish things all along the spine and on the back straps saddlery we didint eat any of that deer but the hams an shoulders the straps where nasty

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
A friend of mine killed a doe in cohuta last weekend went to gut her and she was full of worms. Anybody ever seen that before ?

If you hunt and fish you have probably eaten more parasites than you realize. Most that occur in muscle tissue are pretty harmless if the meat is cooked properly. Trichinella in pigs and bears is much more concerning than most anything you'll find in a deer, but is killed by adequate cooking temps. I'd bet what your buddy found were abdominal worms (Setaria yehi) which are of no health concern to humans. They inhabit the gut outside of all the organs.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Well done or cook them in a pressure cooker, extra protein

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

What does "full of worms" mean ? In the digestive tract or in the abdomen?

nmurph

I thought he meant he used fish bait to kill a deer...I was interested until I read his post...mostly harmless...cook it well and enjoy.

Pate55

Well dang. I was here to see how many worms you had to throw at a deer until you killed it !

rustybucket

Wait til you cut open the nose cavity of one with bot flies!!!

On a serious note, most all of them (that I know of) are harmless when cooked. Ever filleted a cobia or amberjack? They are slap full of them some times of the year.