Nature's scent control

ProAngler

They have a great nose but sometimes I think there hearing is better...so it seems to me the last couple of times I sat in the woods

Deer have about the same hearing capabilities as we do

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
So what some of you are saying is I have been wasting my time and should just wash my clothes with the fresh Lavender Blossom perfume scented stuff. That I can smell when some one walks into the room. Dangit

I really do appreciate all this positive help and great advise a lot of people give on here. Guess that explains why there are only 2 pages of new post all day today.

Pretty much. Deer aren't afraid of lavender. They're afraid of human scent. And if a deer is downwind of you so that it smells your lavender-scented clothes, it can smell you under them, too. Deer can't smell upwind. And tests with dogs, which don't have as good of noses of deer, have proven many times that cover scents cannot prevent a deer of dog from smelling you.

But that's just speaking from three decades of deer hunting and watching deer in the woods, not watching tv- so I could be wrong.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Exactly, except they can hear much better than we can.

Not really, according to science. They are very tuned-in to their environment, though.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Baking soda for your washing clothes, charcoal to store them along with some cedar. The old chemical suits the military used worked pretty good, but were messy.

The best time I ever had hunting to get deer close was when we had a bunch of wild fires here, get by the camp fire, deer got really close.

I just can't see buying all the scent lock, buying and carrying in an ozonics, and all the other do dads that people use.

Hunt the wind as much as possible, but sometimes you have to do what you have to.

Killdee

I've heard of guys smoking there clothes to mask human scent has anyone tried that before?

Thats what I do using a bee smoker and its the best thing I ever tried.

I disagree with some on here, as usual :banging While I do think the scent free products are a waste of money, most any unusual strong odor, scented soaps deodorant,cologne, shampoo will likely have a deer alert. I had trouble with strong fragrances during chemo a few years ago so we switched to fragrance free soaps all the time. So I say hunt clean as possible, fragrance free, no gas on the boots and smoke your self up good before every hunt. But if you are one that wears out a spot and you spook deer out a few times smoked up or not, you may get patterned and associated with the smoke odor.
1 other thing that used to work for some of us was skunk scent, its very strong and comes close to masking human odor. We used it back in the blue jean flannel shirt days before scent blocking was ever talked about and the only buck lure was Rickards Indian Buck Lure and I think it had vanilla odor.

meatseeker

IMHO I feel like if scent cover makes you feel better go for it. That being said I don't think most people have much knowledge about animals. Earth scent cover up? A few months ago I buried my 16 year old border collie. 4 feet deep. 2 weeks later I came home to find her remains laying on my gravel driveway. Going back to her grave to find the coyote tracks on the fresh dirt. Amazing that smelled her 4' under the ground. How buzzards never light on sleeping cattle. But let one die and bam they spot em. How birds of prey spot a raft from hundreds of feet in the air when sometimes I can't find my wrench under the truck when I just had it. And let a dog go in heat Even in a pen and the dogs will come from near and far. I've never knew when my wife was ready. ? I've been busted in a lot a lot of different situations. But I've had deer downwind not bust me to. Maybe it was because it was morning and my scent was going up?animals live by their eyes noses and senses. Their lively hood depends on it. Sit outdoors and watch critters and give them the credit due. Watch a fox listen for a rat under the snow and pounce on it. And from the amount of "what is it threads" I think a lot of folks should do some research. I hate when people say I saw a fox it was a grey fox mixed with a red fox. No it was a grey fox they have red on them. I don't know everything. Far from it. But I have spent 40 something years outdoors and watched countless hours of nature programs. Not commercial hunting shows. We are the most intelligent living thing on this earth but sometimes that puts us at a disadvantage. Good huntin everybody. :biggrin2::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

huntingonthefly

Gone but not forgotten
How can cover scent cover you when studies have shown deer can smell app. 37 different odors at once?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
How can cover scent cover you when studies have shown deer can smell app. 37 different odors at once?

Word.

I also think that what it all boils down to in one way, though, is this:

Whatever you do that gives you more confidence in your setup, be it rubbing yourself with pine needles, washing your clothes in imported Carpathian spring water, or wallering around in skunk pee; keeps you out there longer, keeps you in "predator mode" longer while you're out there, and will likely result in you killing more deer in the long run.

The mtn man

My strategy is to wash my hunting clothes in plain water. My cold weather wool garmets might not get a wash for a couple years. I make sure if I'm camping to stand in the smoke for a bit. otherwise if hunting from home, I take a shower when I get up in sent killer soap. I wash my hair and scrub off all the dead skin cells I can, along with what ever smells I might have obtained from the bed! If I'm not hunting in rough terrain I wear my muck boots, (I think they help with foot odor). If I'm going back into the mtns. I carry a large pack, in it are my hunting clothes, when I get to where I'm going , I change clothes, putting my walking before daylight clothes in a scent free trash bag in my pack, I strip down wiping myself down with scent killer wipes to once again scrub off dead skin cells and what ever human odor I accumulated while walking in, I change socks, underwear, everything. Pack My other stuff into the trash bag, roll it up tight and place back into pack. After I'm ready to head back to my truck, I change clothes again. It's a lot to do, but it makes me feel better. I am in the same mind as NC hillbilly though. I don't think its the ivory soap or the smells that your wife passed onto you while cuddled up the night before that deer are scared of. I think its the chemicals created by your own body, along with the dead skin cells that are spooking Game in the woods.

The mtn man

By the way, I have had deer eat my skoal, and lick my pee off the ground. So who knows what their really thinking???

Killdee

Now that's dedication! My wife would banish me to a tent in the back yard if I came home smelling like Pepe Le Pew:rofl:

You most defiantly do not put this on any part of you or your boots. My late buddy Larry Beavers put it on a rag tied to his boots and years later he could open up his shed where the boots were and smell skunk.

P6smSKC

Word.

I also think that what it all boils down to in one way, though, is this:

Whatever you do that gives you more confidence in your setup, be it rubbing yourself with pine needles, washing your clothes in imported Carpathian spring water, or wallering around in skunk pee; keeps you out there longer, keeps you in "predator mode" longer while you're out there, and will likely result in you killing more deer in the long run.

Hey, maybe my methods are a waste of money or time. But I have seen more deer and killed more deer since I started to do this. Sure, the most important things are probably just to sit still and quiet and hunt the wind. Maybe it does keep me in predator mode longer. But it works for me and puts meat in the freezer so I'll keep doing it my way and let you keep peeing on your deer if that works for you

KLBTJTALLY1

Not effective at all and a waste of time. Hunt the wind is all you need to do.

I wash clothes, myself and spray down bow and rifle before I go in. Go way out of my way to be as scent free as possible.

The tips work for me or at least help anyway. Wind direction can change at any time and if you think it's all a waste of money your just fooling yourself.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
So you are telling us that you use no type of scent killer?

I don`t. Nor do I use any type of attractant scents.

I`ll not criticize anyone who does though.