Remedies for squash vine borer grubs

Every July my zucchini get attacked by squash vine borer grubs. Has anyone had any successful ways of preventing these pests? I have tried both seven spray, and diatomaceous earth...but the grubs always win.

Thanks for any help.

ucfireman

BT, Bacillus Thuragensis. . You spray the plants early and it keeps the moths away. I have done it a couple of years and it works well. Just spray early and 2-3 times.

doomtrpr_z71

BT is pointless for the moths, you can spray spinosad for them. If you want to use BT it needs to be injected into the base of the stems frequently to work. My preference is imidacloprid, but sevin would be effective if sprayed weekly once you find the moths. If you didn't destroy the plant residues from last year you will have issues again.

Thanks for the ideas. I am going to try using some insect netting raised above the plants to keep the adults from laying eggs on the plants. That would avoid using insecticides. I will have to pollenate the plants since bees won’t be able to get to the flowers. I will update with the results later this summer.

bick27

I have not used a lot of insecticides in the past, but what do you all prefer between Sevin and Malathion?

doomtrpr_z71

They are essentially the same, persistent for short periods of time, slightly different chemically, but work the same as the both are acetylcholinerase inhibitors.

cjones

Side note here... As with all insecticides, please apply early in the AM or late in the evening to avoid impacting bees that may be active in the area.

I'm not a beekeeper, but I sure do like honey. :)