OK,,,Food Plot experts,,,Question???

z71mathewsman

Went down to my lease in Harris County yesterday to check on things and was surprised that my little food plot is doing well.My questions is,its a mixture of clover,wheat,oats.The clover is what I got a question about.I dont want to just wait till this Sept and till it all under and replant.Should I just mow it,and fertilize now,and remow it in about 2 months?Its all about knee high now,which the clover is got the red buds on top.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
If it looks like this, it's crimson clover and will be seeded out and dead in the next 30 days. The wheat and oats will seed out in 45 days (or so) and feed the critters for a while. I would just let it go, bush hog it when the seed is all gone to take care of the weeds and work on your fall plan. Perennial clover? A clover mix?

You will have a good amount of free crimson clover, that will germinate again in the fall.

Attachments

• crimson.JPG
    crimson.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 292

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
If it looks like this, it's crimson clover and will be seeded out and dead in the next 30 days. The wheat and oats will seed out in 45 days (or so) and feed the critters for a while. I would just let it go, bush hog it when the seed is all gone to take care of the weeds and work on your fall plan. Perennial clover? A clover mix?

You will have a good amount of free crimson clover, that will germinate again in the fall.

This right here^^^^^^^^^^^^^