new powerbelt bullets

gtgeorge

Not to knock the powerbelt, but I went along for the ride the first year with no blood trails, no exits and a flat bullet on the other side under the skin. While I recovered all deer, I decided to make a change to 250gr SST and have had great results on deer and hogs. Didn't like looking for animals with absolutely no blood, I too thought it was odd that a 50 cal projectile could leave such a small entrance wound, but saw it first had several times.

Marlin_444

All I use are PowerBelts; never a Non-Recovery - Always a Football Size Spray Machine from the pump station (as I shoot quartering away most times); however last season on my first day out I shot two does in the shoulder in one side and out the other... DRT... Platinum Aero Tips (275gr)...

*V* - WHOOT!

Bowyer29

I've only shot/killed one buck with my muzzleloader, used the powerbelt platinum 270's...left a "red carpet" trail 30yds dead as dead can be, round not recovered,...so what is the problem?:huh:
Nothing with that one apparently. Use them if you like, you will be disappointed eventually, I assure you.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I have killed 15 deer using Powerbelt bullets, everything from the original solid lead HP in a .54 CVA inline to the new Aerotip in my .45 Traditions Long Distance and 3 of those were DRT and the other 12 left a blood trail a blind man could follow.

Might be poor shot placement is the blame and not the bullet

Bowyer29

I have killed 15 deer using Powerbelt bullets, everything from the original solid lead HP in a .54 CVA inline to the new Aerotip in my .45 Traditions Long Distance and 3 of those were DRT and the other 12 left a blood trail a blind man could follow.

Might be poor shot placement is the blame and not the bullet

I hear that a lot, possible poor shot placement and I could not agree more. I hit one deer low through the legs, she ran off, my guts turned over and I felt terrible. She bled a little. I shot several others through the chest, I have pictures of the deer being processed, excellent hits. I cannot locate them right now on the computer, I will look for them and attach one. No blood on the ground, with another hunter checking behind me. I wrote to Powerbelt and was told that this was a common thing that happens and they were not considering changing the lead content to make it a little harder, thus theoretically tougher. I told them in writing I would never buy another powerbelt and I meant it.

As to the new ones, I am sure they are better, really, but I would not buy them with all of the other excellent bullets on the market. I will just clean the rifle a little more between shots.

ryanh487

I've only shot one deer with a muzzleloader, used a 295 grain powerbelt hollow point. Shot a 100 lb doe just a hair forward of the crease at the shoulder, and she crumpled and didn't even twitch. The round did fragment and stop just under the skin on the far side of her rib cage in 3 pieces though.

BERN

I shot my first two muzzle loader deer yesterday. 100 grains of 777 and power belt 223 grain. I was keeping track of this thread fairly closely as I was preparing for my first ML hunt. I have gotta say that to my surprise this turned out to be true. Both deer were hit slightly high, right behind the shoulder. There was a .50 hole on each side of both of them but no blood trail. Where they fell there was a huge pool. One ran 10 yards and the other about 25 so there wasn't really any tracking needed.

I hope they are improved. I have never had a bloodtrail at all with powerbelts.

BERN

The interesting thing to me about this thread is the extreme disparity between the good and the bad. A lot of these equipment discussions end up being mostly personal prefernce. In this case apparently the bullets either blow a giant hole in the deer or they don't. Ballistics chart for the 223 grain says 1800 fps muzzle and 1400 @ 50 yds yet I didn't see signs of much (if any) expansion. What on earth could be the difference for y'all who are getting good results?

rutandstrut

I shoot the 260 Gr 50 Cal. Power Belt Aerotips and 3-50 Grain Pyrodex Pellets (150 Gr) and have had nothing but good results! I have used them on Deer and Hogs...usually never take a step! Worst shot placement. Center punched left ham when 8 Pt. turned right on the trail just as I pulled the Trigger. Bullet went end to end and left a large knot just inside the right leg on the Bucks chest after center punching his Heart! Longest shot 210 Yards using same setup. Buck went less than 50 yards! I have been using them ever since they came out and will continue to use them!