.58 cal

Can you still buy muzzleloaders in .58 cal and if so what companies sell them? Thanks for any help, I'm looking for one to pack a punch for HOG hunting>.

georgia_home

Personally, I'd stick with a 50 as the supplies are WAY easier to find. And they will slap down a hog just fine in full bore or sabot.

While looking for stuff in 50 and 54, I've seen cabelas with a limited supply of 58 stuff. If you go down the less commercial direction, you may want to do your own balls / lead etc

Any way you go, do enjoy and have fun.

The person you really want to here from on this board is nicodemius. He will have some good info for ya.

Paging nic! ;)

tv_racin_fan

I dunno if anyone makes sabots for a 58 at all.

OOO MMP does but it is for a 45 cal projectile..

georgia_home

Sorry to op for tangent...

Tv, I may be wrong, and maybe you know...

Some of the sabots for 50/54 differ in inner diameter, right? Or am I mistaken?

A recent post said something about difficult to load. Got me thinking if they should be using 44cal instead of 45??? In the sabots they were pushing?

Sorry again op!!!

For sabots, I've heard rate of twist may make sabots a lesser choice depending on fast or slow. In a 58, even if you find them, they may not be so recommended. Same is true for the other calz from what I understand (I would gladly stand corrected).

I dunno if anyone makes sabots for a 58 at all.

OOO MMP does but it is for a 45 cal projectile..

flyfisher76544

Can you still buy muzzleloaders in .58 cal and if so what companies sell them? Thanks for any help, I'm looking for one to pack a punch for HOG hunting>.

Are you looking for a sidelock or an inline?

tv_racin_fan

Supercracker

Are you looking for a sidelock or an inline?

That's what I was going to ask. There's sooo many really cool traditional MLs to be had, I hate to see people automatically steer towards or default to some plastic semi disposable contraption.

If you're looking for a traditional ML then there's TONS of choices in .58 and even bigger if you like. In percussion and flint.

Most smoothbores will start at .62 and go up from there and are just as useable as a rifle out to probably 40 or 50yds. There's a wide selection of Hawken style plains guns and early style rifles in and around .58 or larger that provide ample thump and accuracy much farther out than people think.

Last edited:
F

FrontierGander

cva mountain rifle. Do an internet search for deer creek out of indiana, they have all the left over stock.