Anyone use TC Maxi-Ball 320 Grain (Question)

Niner

I was gonna suggest the lube thing....but y'all hit on it.

T/C uses, or used (I believe) bore butter on their projectiles. If it is old it will be "cakey" and flake off. Hornady uses somekindofa waxy substance....heck it MAY be wax for all I know on their conical bullets.

Still in all, if the lube is the least bit suspect.....wipe it of an reapply some bore butter on 'em.

From what little bit I can find on the Wolf, it has a 1:28 twist. I would guess it would shoot the Maxi ok. That sure ain't no roundball twist. :)

Flaustin1

Maybe i was trying to push em to fast. I will have to dig them out monday and see.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What is the muzzle velocity of the 350 Grain TC maxie-hunter and 90grain pyrodex from a TC Hawken?

I have no idea, but it will flat-out ruin a deer's day. I've killed probably 35 deer with pretty much that same combination from point-blank range to 130 yards, and I've yet to recover a bullet from a deer. Most are dead right there, the few I've had to track left a blood trail through the woods like pouring blood out a five-gallon bucket.

Rainmaker

I have read that the maxi-ball sometimes doesn't expand well on deer resulting in a long tracking job.

Has anyone ever tried drilling a shallow hole in a maxi-ball to create a small hollow point like the maxi-hunter?

thanks

collardncornbread

Are you positive they are 50tys and not 45 never shot one that went down the barrel easy.....:)

x2
If you put them in a caliper I have a sneaky feeling you have yourself some 45's
the 54 cal maxi balls are 430 gr
the 50 cal maxi balls are 370 gr ( Best I can remember)
45 cal--? 320 gr.? I dont have any 45s but it sounds about what the curve would put it on.

blocky

I have the same problem with them. Tip the barrel down and the bullet will slide right out. I am going to melt them down and make sinkers out of them. And they are 50 cal, not 45's.