T/C Shockwave terminal performance

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
sweet evidence plp !!!! i got to put one to the test this eve. i was 24 hours from having a deerless year and a small 7 and a unicorn stepped out at 138 yards. i have seen these same deer 4 times and decided today with 5 minutes of light left to take the shot. it was raining so no evaluation on the blood trail, but the deer made it 25 yards with massive damage. i am still pleased and kept my goal of no centerfires this year !!!

LanceColeman

Geez Prowler!! why dontcha just shoot ALL the big pigs!! Lotsa them boys got some serious dawg stabbers!! Thats some mighty fine evidence ya got there man.

hawgrider1200

shoot em all

Geez Prowler!! why dontcha just shoot ALL the big pigs!! Lotsa them boys got some serious dawg stabbers!! Thats some mighty fine evidence ya got there man.

Don't matter how many u shoot there will be more to take their place in a few months. Shoot all you can!!! Trap some too!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
sweet evidence plp !!!! i got to put one to the test this eve. i was 24 hours from having a deerless year and a small 7 and a unicorn stepped out at 138 yards. i have seen these same deer 4 times and decided today with 5 minutes of light left to take the shot. it was raining so no evaluation on the blood trail, but the deer made it 25 yards with massive damage. i am still pleased and kept my goal of no centerfires this year !!!

congrats on the last minute success feral!

Davexx1

The terminal performance (expansion, exit, etc.) of a hunting bullet depends upon its construction, the speed it is traveling when it hits the animal, and what it encounters on and after impact. Bullet manufacturers try to make a bullet that will perform well at a wide range of velocities and situations, but the truth is that no one bullet will perform perfectly at all speeds and situations.

A shot thru the shoulder, that hits the shoulder blade and heavy leg bone is less likely to exit the far side than a shot behind the shoulder where only ribs and internals are encountered. Closer range shots at higher velocities with higher powered guns are usually more likely to produce exit wounds, but not always. Muzz bullets are big, heavy, and slow compared to modern rifle calibers, may not produce the massive shock and tissue destruction of the modern and faster calibers, but they are effective if used with good judgement and within a conservative and effective range.

PB's are known to be constructed of soft lead with only a base seal which makes them easy to load in muzz gun, but because of the softer lead composition they have a reputation for quick over expansion, lack of penetration in some instances, break apart, etc.

I think it is safe to say that no one bullet is perfect for all game and hunting situations so we try to find one that performs well at average distances, speeds, etc. I have used the 250 grain TC Shockwave with excellent results. Some shots were pass thrus, others were not. Many experienced muzz shooters/deer hunters have said the 300 grain bullet is better and has much more likelyhood of complete pass thru (better blood trail if needed), but they have higher recoil. Generally speaking the 250 Shockwave bullet in my 50 cal muzz gun is very accurate and has done a good job for me when I do my part.

Dave

GEORGIA-HAMMER64

I hunted all deer season with my muzzleloader killed 5 deer with it 3 doe's and 2 good bucks.I got complete pass throughs on all of them with 250 grain shockwaves and 100 grains of blackhorn 209.But there was no blood at all where they were standing when i shot them but after about 20 to 30 yards plenty of blood.Had no problem tracking them and there was a dead deer 30 yards from first spot of blood im satisfied with them.

Public Land Prowler

Got something to show you about how the 250gr T/C shockwaves penetrate..Out of my T/C Triumph with 150gr of pyrodex pellets..

Shot this 110# sow at 65yds..1/4 towards..Straight on shot...Entrance wound was between the center of the chest and right shoulder White arrow..

CopyofIMG_0425.jpg

Close up pic..entrance is (red arrow),went under the shoulder,and entered the chest (yellow arrow)

IMG_0431.jpg

Went through the entire body damaging the lungs,and top of heart,and came out of the abdomen just before going into the Left ham(aqua blue arrow),went into the left ham (purple arrow),then the bullet hung up just under the hide after exiting the ham.Green arrow is pointing at bullet..So it went all the way from front right to back left...4 1/2 foot of hog.. ;) That's penetration..lol.. Hog went 40yds or so..maybe less...Thinks it's safe to say it will take out an elk. ;)

IMG_0426.jpg

Last edited:

Public Land Prowler

Had a request for a close up of recovered bullet.Keep in mind it actually did not hit any bone except for a rib or 2 on the way in..I have seen them after they hit bone,and they flatten out a little more,but not like a Power Belt.This is the standard T/C shockwave,not the bonded,which would not expand as much as the original.

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0428-1.jpg

I'm going to see if I can find one of my shockwaves,that hit bone,and post it.

Public Land Prowler

Here is a 250gr T/C shockwave that I recovered out of a hog last season.Hit both front shoulders,and hung up on the hide.Hog was DRT.

The one from yesterday that didnt hit bone,and the one that hit solid,and expanded..

IMG_0439.jpg

Front view

IMG_0438.jpg

Back view..you can see the petals are wrapping around nicely.

IMG_0437.jpg

Mtns2hunt

The terminal performance (expansion, exit, etc.) of a hunting bullet depends upon its construction, the speed it is traveling when it hits the animal, and what it encounters on and after impact. Bullet manufacturers try to make a bullet that will perform well at a wide range of velocities and situations, but the truth is that no one bullet will perform perfectly at all speeds and situations.

A shot thru the shoulder, that hits the shoulder blade and heavy leg bone is less likely to exit the far side than a shot behind the shoulder where only ribs and internals are encountered. Closer range shots at higher velocities with higher powered guns are usually more likely to produce exit wounds, but not always. Muzz bullets are big, heavy, and slow compared to modern rifle calibers, may not produce the massive shock and tissue destruction of the modern and faster calibers, but they are effective if used with good judgement and within a conservative and effective range.

PB's are known to be constructed of soft lead with only a base seal which makes them easy to load in muzz gun, but because of the softer lead composition they have a reputation for quick over expansion, lack of penetration in some instances, break apart, etc.

I think it is safe to say that no one bullet is perfect for all game and hunting situations so we try to find one that performs well at average distances, speeds, etc. I have used the 250 grain TC Shockwave with excellent results. Some shots were pass thrus, others were not. Many experienced muzz shooters/deer hunters have said the 300 grain bullet is better and has much more likelyhood of complete pass thru (better blood trail if needed), but they have higher recoil. Generally speaking the 250 Shockwave bullet in my 50 cal muzz gun is very accurate and has done a good job for me when I do my part.

Dave

Excellent and accurate post IMO.

I wish more individuals would realize that there are many variables to bullet performance and no one bullet will be perfect in every situation. I believe knowledge about the bullet you are shooting is important i.e. how it expands at different velocities, knowing a deer's anatomy and how the bullet will perform in different areas i.e. shoulder vs chest shot.

I have killed many deer with the TC Shockwave some expand well (shoulder shot), some pencil through (chest or no contact with bone), others leave a big blood trail (low chest shot), high chest shot little or no blood trail for 20 - 30 yards.

Shot placement IMO is everything - I believe one should practice with their rifle to be proficient but should also use their preferred bullet enough to know how it performs: not just once or twice and then declare poor bullet performance.

Finally, I enjoy reading everyone's experiences about the shockwaves or Hornady SST"S please keep posting. I am happy to see the shockwaves are performing well on hogs. I have not had an opportunity to hunt them yet but I am looking forward to it.

Shooting a TC Pro Hunter 50 Cal, Leopold, Ultimate Slam scope, 200g shockwave (40 cal) with 110g BH and a 209 CCI primer.

icdedturkes

I will never shoot another shockwave/SST non bonded muzzleloader bullet on an animal again.. I know alot of folks love them but IME they are a ticking time bomb in terms of fragmentation in some cases and lack of expansion in others.

Mtns2hunt

I will never shoot another shockwave/SST non bonded muzzleloader bullet on an animal again.. I know alot of folks love them but IME they are a ticking time bomb in terms of fragmentation in some cases and lack of expansion in others.

Could you expand a bit on why you dislike the Shockwave so strongly? I have always felt that a pass through is good because it leaves a heavy blood trail. But that a bullet not passing through is also good because it is dumping all its energy inside a deer, even if there is some fragmentation.

Are you currently using the bonded shockwave? If so what have been the results: does it perform better then the regular shockwave?

I respect all opinions and I am trying to learn from the experience of others.

Okie Hog

According to t/c and hornady the shockwave and sst are the same.

Well, they ain't the same. The SST has a soft plastic tip. The Shockwave has a hard plastic tip. Therein lies the problem; the Shockwave may not expand as quickly as the SST. Under some conditions the Shockwave may not expand at all.

i've killed about 25 deer and dozens of wild hogs using the SST and Shockwave bullets; never lost an animal: Many were bang flops.

Unless i blew it and shot an animal in the guts, it died within 100 yards. Few animals went over 50 yards after being hit. The hog that is my avater went about 100 yards after being double lunged with a 250 grain SST. Bullet broke ribs coming and going. It was found under the skin on the off side.

Chase4556

I shot 2 deer this year with the Shockwaves(yellow tip). My buddy shot one with my rifle, same setup, and the yellow tips.

All three deer left little to no blood trail for the first 20-30yds. Two of them went from one end of the deer to the other with a complete pass through, and the entrance and exit wounds looked exactly the same. The third was a double lung shot, and it appeared again that the bullet did not expand much.

All three deer were recovered, but the lack of initial blood was very unsettling to me. For me, 20-30yds is a good distance to be trying to pick up a blood trail and makes me worry about loosing a deer.

With that said, halfway through the season I swapped to hornady xtp loads. I shot 2 more deer with those. One was a double lung pass through with TONS of blood. My inexperience with tracking(have always neck shot with centerfire hunting) led to me pushing the deer and I never recovered her. However, the blood trail she left made me wonder how on earth she still had any blood left. The second deer I shot was at about 200yds, low chest, and had blood instantly and the deer ran 20yds before piling up.

The shockwaves are VERY accurate out of my CVA Wolf over two 50gr pellets of 777. I can get clover leaf groups if I sand bag the rifle and do my part. The XTPs shoot a slightly larger group, about 1.5in, at 100yds but the terminal performance is tremendously better than what I have experienced with the shockwaves. Plus, the XTPs are $10 for a box of 20. Hard to beat that.

Mtns2hunt

Well, they ain't the same. The SST has a soft plastic tip. The Shockwave has a hard plastic tip. Therein lies the problem; the Shockwave may not expand as quickly as the SST. Under some conditions the Shockwave may not expand at all.

i've killed about 25 deer and dozens of wild hogs using the SST and Shockwave bullets; never lost an animal: Many were bang flops.

Unless i blew it and shot an animal in the guts, it died within 100 yards. Few animals went over 50 yards after being hit. The hog that is my avater went about 100 yards after being double lunged with a 250 grain SST. Bullet broke ribs coming and going. It was found under the skin on the off side.

Sounds as if you have good experiences with the Shockwave and Hornady SST's. I agree that shot placement is very important along with knowledge of the animals anatomy to insure quick and humane kills.

dwinsor

I use the T/C shockwaves if you use the yellow tip 250 grain bullet, use 100 gr and lower of powder. If you use the Blue tip 250 grain bullet, use 100 gr or higher powder, the Blue tip is a bonded bullet. Have never shot the 300 grain shockwave.

Mtns2hunt

I have never shot the 250 grain shockwaves: either in yellow or blue tips (I have shot the Hornady version).

I have heard the blue tips (bonded) penetrate better then the yellow tips. Always thought that the blue tip is more suitable to hunting hogs as it does not take much to skewer a deer.

I am a bit surprised that you recommend less then 100 grains of powder for a 250 grain shockwave. But perhaps that is what your rifle prefers.

I shoot a TC Pro hunter and it loves 110 grains of BH 209 powder behind a 200 grain (40 cal.) Shockwave. Accuracy is incredible although I am still trying to tighten groups by weighing charges.

The 200 grain with 110 grains of BH 209 is a deer hunters dream.