Best Muzzle Loader

Chase4556

You might need to reconsider your cleaning procedures!!!

For my knowledge, could you explain your procedure?

I use Hoppes No9 on a bore brush, dip the brush in the #9 and run it through the barrel, dip and repeat, 3 patches, one more run of #9 then patch it clean. I generously coat another patch with gun oil, and run that down the barrel a couple times. Use one of those #9 soaked patches to take any buildup off the front of the plug. Scrape primer flash hole with a pick, spray out with gun cleaner, check the flash hole to make sure its good. Smidge of grease on the threads, reinstall plug. Silicon cloth to run the gun down real quick. Takes me 10 minutes or less, and by barrel is still shiney and new and the gun looks great. Every 50 shots or so I will clean off the reciever around where the primer sits to take any carbon buildup off, and then a drop or two of oil on the firing pin.

Just curious if there is a better way, or if I am missing an important step.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I clean mine with cold water and then give them a light coat of real bear oil.

killitgrillit

I use Hoppes No9 on a bore brush, dip the brush in the #9 and run it through the barrel, dip and repeat, 3 patches, one more run of #9 then patch it clean. I generously coat another patch with gun oil, and run that down the barrel a couple times. Use one of those #9 soaked patches to take any buildup off the front of the plug. Scrape primer flash hole with a pick, spray out with gun cleaner, check the flash hole to make sure its good. Smidge of grease on the threads, reinstall plug. Silicon cloth to run the gun down real quick. Takes me 10 minutes or less, and by barrel is still shiney and new and the gun looks great. Every 50 shots or so I will clean off the reciever around where the primer sits to take any carbon buildup off, and then a drop or two of oil on the firing pin.

Im saying it should only take 10 minutes to clean a BP gun with good results.

F

FrontierGander

cleaning it and cleaning it the right way differs from one to the other.

hambone76

If you want easy loading and shooting, I'd suggest a break action like the CVA Wolf, 209 primers, pyrodex or 777 pellets, and powerbelt bullets.

Pellets are not as clean burning as Blackhorn, but no need to weigh or measure it. Be sure to clean the barrel every time you shoot it or you'll have rust pitting and lose accuracy.

I strongly suggest CVA. They are located in GA and have excellent customer service. I once broke a firing pin on Thursday before ML weekend. I drove to the CVA offices on Friday. They installed a new firing pin while I waited. I was in the woods on Saturday.
X2 on the CVA and their Customer Service. I have an Optima Elite .45. It's a great shooting rifle very accurate. Their CS is top notch.

ourway77

Sml

The new Remington 700 Ultimate IS NOT designed to burn smokeless propellant.
Don't try smokeless powder in that ultimate Even though it has the Remington 700 rifle action, Breech plug and the type of steel used in the barrel determines if you can use smokeless powder. Use a hefty dose of BH-209 and reach out and touch someone Merry Christmas

SuperCreech

I have been extremely happy with my t/c omega .i fully floated the barrel and I have worked up a few loads and 120gr of triple 7 and a 300gr 44 cal dead center will cut holes at 100 yards not to mention these bullets drop deer like sack of potato’s .

Kaisrus6

The only thing about the dip and repeat method that is negative is that every time you dip a dirty brush into your solvent you're putting contaminants into clean solvent. May be better to pour a small amount into a bowl or cup or onto the brush.