Weiss or Wedowee

Mrbowdeadly

Hi yall,

I am planning a fishing trip next month to take my kids and wife on. Gonna rent a cabin and stay at the lake and fish. I was wondering if anyone had any input as to whether you would go to Weiss or Wedowee?

Appreciate any help with this.

MBD

jeremyledford

i vote for Weiss. If your kids are young and get bored easily it'll be easy to pull up under a bridge and fish or anchor out on a flat and catfish at night.

Mrbowdeadly

Thank you both for answering. I saw the water slide tube at weiss, was figuring maybe that would be fun for them. Any parts of the lake better or worse for fishing? Swimming better at wedowee?

Mbd

Tarpfisher

I always thought that slide was private... unless you are talking about a different slide than the one in yellow creek.

Wedowee is more of a deeper clear water lake, which to me makes for better swimming. Weiss is snakey to me. LOL

again... if fishing is the priority, then go to Weiss.

Mrbowdeadly

Yeah, I think the waterslide belongs to the resort. Not sure if you need to be renting there or if you can pay to use the slide and beach. Guess I need to call them.

I understand what you are saying about deep and clear vs. snakey, lol. Is the fishing tough at wedowee? I know up here by Jasper, Carters makes for a pretty lake but is harder to fish.

MBD

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
Be careful on Weiss, you can go from 35' to a stump field in a boat length.
Wedowee this time of year fishes best on shakeyhead heads, drop shots and C rigs. The fis are likely to be on main lake points in 15 to 25 feet of water.
I would try to fish below the hwy 48 bridge and the closer to the dam the better. Boat traffic in the little River will be horrendous.

jeremyledford

Cowan creek is my favorite arm of the lake on Weiss. You have to be careful though cause it can be a dangerous lake if you don't know it. You can be 1/2 mile from the bank and in trouble. If you have a GPS you should be good though. And watch for floating logs if you're up there at night.
I've fished, Swam, and tubed in it many of times. As far as fishing goes it's a great place and would be my number one option. If you're just going to fish a few hours and want to spend most of your time riding, swimming, tubing etc I'd probably go somewhere else.

Mrbowdeadly

Thanks everybody for the input. Let's shift gears. If you were planning a family fishing trip would this be one of your choices? We live in Jasper.

Thanks!

Mrbowdeadly

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions. Looks like we are weiss bound! I'll post up a report around the 1st of july.

MBD

riprap

Actually down towards the dam at Weiss doesn't look all that bad to swim in. The Alabama queen north...I don't think I'm that brave.

Mrbowdeadly

Well first day fishing report. Fished last night and caught two flathead off the dock. Boys swam at the dock too and seemed to enjoy it. Caught one dink bass this morning
Thinking about hiring a guide to help figure this out a little. Playing pool with the kislds and enjoying some time off! Pics coming.

MBD

Mrbowdeadly

Well we didn't have much luck with spots or largemouth (I am sure that is my fault) but we had a great time, caught a mess of cats, both flathead and channel. Got into some spinner action on small white bass on ultralights and just had a nice relaxing vacation.

Mayflies were awful. Had to talk to each other with your lips pursed tight or you were gonna eat one.

MBD

Attachments

• 20160626_224611.jpg
    20160626_224611.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 287
  • 20160627_002500.jpg
    20160627_002500.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 286
  • 20160628_071725.jpg
    20160628_071725.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 293
  • 20160628_093051.jpg