What was it...?

35 Whelen

that got you interested in the Civil War?

For me it was a 6th grade school field trip in 1966 to the battlefield and museum in Gettysburg Pennsylvania. That year I did my first term paper on Pickett's charge. I have been intrigued by the Civil War ever since.

leemckinney

I had a history professor that said Davis sent Lee an order to attack at Gettysburg. I have never been able to find out an info on this and still wonder if what he said is true.

westcobbdog

that got you interested in the Civil War?

For me it was a 6th grade school field trip in 1966 to the battlefield and museum in Gettysburg Pennsylvania. That year I did my first term paper on Pickett's charge. I have been intrigued by the Civil War ever since.

Growing up as a kid in Atlanta in the 60's and 70's with the history of the struggle still visible all around in visible trenches, markers, monuments,ect..then learning about the soldiers I was related to from my Grandma as a young kid got me hooked. One day my intention is to assemble and research all the different family names from all my many ancestors and come up with a list of soldiers. I know of 1 yankee and and maybe 15-20 or more Southern Soldiers. Recently found a few I didn't know about from looking through 2 old family bibles.

rvick

early 60's field trip to Andersonville. could still look in the tunnels at the bottoms of the old wells. much more real then, with a chance of finding artifacts, (never did) Thanx, Coach Manley. used to listen to an album of related songs about the time of JFK assassination. wish i could find that album now.

egomaniac247

Another moment that really got me into Civil War interest was being a summer security cop as a freshman in college in Dinwiddie, Va where a Chaparral Steel facility was being built.

My job at that time was to sit out in a Ford F150 rent-a-cop truck on a 1500 acre construction site that was nothing but mud and red clay. They were just leveling the land before construction began. All I had to do was stay awake and drive around the site making sure no one was trespassing or vandalizing the tractors, bulldozers, dump trucks, etc.

They had to jump through tons of hoops to get clearance to excavate the site because it was literally yards away from civil war trenches at Pamplin Park. Heck the road immediately beside the site was named "Flank Road".

I know this would have been illegal but I always wondered if I should have just snuck a metal detector out there a few times at night.

I do know that they dug up tons of artifacts off that site.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Hearing both of my grandfathers telling me about their grandfathers and or great grandfathers riding with the 2d GA Cavalry (Ironically on both my mother's and father's side they rode in the same unit) Apparently alot of calvary units came from SOWEGA. That was with the Army of Tennessee under N.B Forrest. I grew up in Albany and my first memories are of what was called the 2d reconstruction and now them Yankees was at it again.

biker13

Tales of my great grandpa,member of the 63rd Ga regiment.Fought at Kennesaw Mtn,Atlanta,ended up in a Union Hospital at wars end and was told to go home.So he walked back home to Dunwoody.