Helen area fishing options

Silver Bullet

Hey guys,
I looking for easy access, decent looking water in the Helen area. I will be up there on a business trip in the end of January. I plan on bringing a 5 wt and some bead heads. My only real fear is trespassing. It looks like a bunch of NFS land but still a few cabins. Can I fish in town without getting arrested? I won't be able to travel too far from our hotel and I probably won't have but a couple of hours to fish each afternoon, but I miss some good small water wading. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SB

Dialer

When entering Helen from the Cleveland end of town on US 76, make a right on Edelweiss Street, fork off to the right until you see the river. Follow the river upstream and park in the parking lot next to the flumes of Cool River tubing, where you see picnic tables and group shelters on the right, at the river. I go there a lot, and have great luck sometimes, and not so great luck at other times. I lobbed a wad of chartreuse power bait into a pool and nailed an 17" brown there once. Go on a weekday, all public land.

Silver Bullet

When entering Helen from the Cleveland end of town on US 76, make a right on Edelweiss Street, fork off to the right until you see the river. Follow the river upstream and park in the parking lot next to the flumes of Cool River tubing, where you see picnic tables and group shelters on the right, at the river. I go there a lot, and have great luck sometimes, and not so great luck at other times. I lobbed a wad of chartreuse power bait into a pool and nailed an 17" brown there once. Go on a weekday, all public land.

Thank you sir! This is exactly was I was looking for. As I am not at all familiar with the area, when you say it is all public land, how far up and downstream can I wade without getting into trouble with landowners?
Thanks again!
SB

Water Swat

Fish all of downtown helen. Or head up to the chatahoochee river road. Once it turns dirt youre good to go for miles and miles. You couldnt fish it all in a year.

sasmojoe

Check with fly shop in Helen, (Unicoi Outfitters), they have some private water next to there shop that is pretty reasonable to fish. As stated Smith creek at Unicoi State Park is stocked regular this time of year at is a delayed harvest stream. I wouldn't worry to much about trespassing as people put up plenty of signs.

Dialer

I watched 4 little boys pulling trout out of Smith creek one after another! They were having a BLAST! Then their Dad walked up with another full stringer. None were concerned about size or limits....

natureman

I watched 4 little boys pulling trout out of Smith creek one after another! They were having a BLAST! Then their Dad walked up with another full stringer. None were concerned about size or limits....

Doesn't delayed harvest mean you have to release them?

Jimmy Harris

The river through Helen is a great winter fishery. Access is easy but please be aware that the overwhelming majority of the property along the river is privately owned. Just be aware and respect that so we can all continue to be able to fish it. Have fun!

Silver Bullet

The river through Helen is a great winter fishery. Access is easy but please be aware that the overwhelming majority of the property along the river is privately owned. Just be aware and respect that so we can all continue to be able to fish it. Have fun!

Yes sir. Absolutely. Again, the last thing I want to do is anger a landowner. Do you have any spots that you might suggest I drop into the river to avoid conflict? When you say that the area along the river is privately owned, I'm assuming I can still get to it somewhere?

Thanks to everyone who responded!! I appreciate all the thoughts!
SB

Jimmy Harris

You can access at any bridge in town and along the city park. The run right behind the FestHall is really good.