Breaking Game Laws.....

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
If you know someone around you is constantly breaking game laws and does not strive to do the right thing, at what point do you personally not look the other way?

In other words what game laws do you not overlook?

Jim

Toliver

Killing for parts. People who kill animals for nothing more than trinkets and souvenirs made out of specific body parts should be hung by their eye lashes. That's one that I wouldn't overlook even if it was a close friend.

{edited for typing through the censor}

Ga-Spur

Toliver seems just today and I quote you said: "come saturday morning for me , if it's brown it's down. Unless of course it's a buttonhead, or a small buck , or a doe, or my neighbor's cow. Hmmmmm ........guess that only leaves the big boys". To some native Americans that is the single worst reason to take an animal. Just for the" part "incorrectly called "the horns". Now what were you saying about hunting for parts? :D

Toliver

The big buck part only enhances the flavor of the meat that I'll be eating afterwards. :D

Come to think of it, I don't think I worded that none too good. :eek:

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I guess I'm having another weak moment.

Baiting: I tend to overlook unless I feel it's going to get me in trouble. (I don't bait!!)

Wearing an orange vest: If your not wearing your orange, your putting your self at risk, not me, because I'm not going to shoot you. If it's a loved one or a good friend that's not wearing their orange, I'll thump them on the head, because you don't know what the other guy in the woods is going to be shooting at.

The ammunition limit in your firearm: I've never even thought about it. If you need more than 5 rounds, you need to get to the target range. But, that doesn't stir up much with me.

That's all I can think of.

Tommy

Randy

I never look the other way. I may just tell them how I feel and if they keep it up I'll turn them in but I never just look the other way!

Michael Lee

I can't stand folks taking over their limit on anything, and I'm with Coon Dawg.........TRESSPASSING is not cool at all!!

ML

Clint-06

Thomas Lackey said:
I

The ammunition limit in your firearm: I've never even thought about it. If you need more than 5 rounds, you need to get to the target range. But, that doesn't stir up much with me.

That's all I can think of.

Tommy
Ammo Limit? Do you mean shotguns? I am not aware of an ammo limit on rifles?

Clint-06

Handgunner

This is going to sound like "backwoods justice", but if someone trespasses, spotlights, etc... on the farm here, we go after them while the spouses call the law.

We want them to know, "you're not gonna do it and get away with it! You will be gone after and if caught reap the rewards".

I know, not the best way to handle things, but just the way it's done around here.

For instance, a while back we rode over to "the 60 acres" to feed the catfish and while sitting on the pond dam watching the fish, we heard a 4 wheeler crank up and take off, we hopped in the truck and chased the guy down.

We didn't jump out with an attitude, just stepped out and said, "hey, I'm Delton, nephew of the guy that owns this peice of property and this is David, son of guy that owns this property, how ya doin'?"

We talked to the guy and throughout the whole conversation he kept tripping himself up. If you watch and listen a liar will tell on himself very readily. He did. And we caught it. We got his name through just introducing ourself, "Hey I'm Delton, and live across the branch and this is David"... The guy said "I'm so and so, and live right up the road".

That easy we got his name and residence.

Found out later he was hunting the property line watching my cousins food plot for him while he was away on the week days.

My cousin visited him and gave him a "firm" warning.

GeauxLSU

Jim,

I honestly can't think of one where I "look the other way". I've quit, quitely, multiple clubs because I either caught people doing things illegal or got nauseated hearing them brag about it around the campfire. I should also say that in each of these clubs I was VERY clear with the club president prior to joining that I expected everyone to be 100% legal in their practices. Each and every president assured me that that was the case and most had that as rule NUMBER ONE in their written rules (if they existed). I never turned anyone in, just left. In one club I never returned after opening morning (the things that went on there! :eek: :mad: ). I've always felt quite a bit of regret for not turning those idiots in. :rolleyes: :(

After spending untold hours and money on different clubs, the light bulb finally came on. I'm a little slow, granted. I said to myself, "Self, YOU are being honest and upfront about your expectations and all you are asking is for the crazy premise that people just OBEY THE LAW so that you can RELAX while hunting, which is the main reason you go. Self, why are YOU the one having to waste your very very precious hours in the woods and your hard earned dollars to have it all stolen from you by poachers?"

My days of "looking the other way" are over! Forever!
Now that I've said all that, I will admit, 'intent' is something I'd have to look at. As in bowbender's example, if someone forgets their license, they haven't violated the rules of fairchase and if they want to go sit in a stand and risk it, they haven't jeopardized MY rights or MY ability to hunt, so I can't imagine I'd ever give someone a hard time for that. Now if they hadn't PURCHASED a license, then yes....

I'm sure there are other examples but I can't think of any right now, but it doesn remind me of another thread I meant to start...

Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
A shotgun can't have more than 5 rounds of ammo in it. That means you can't take your police version that can carry 8 or more rounds.

If you shoot a semi auto rifle you can't put a 30 round clip in it, I think the clip limit is a five round clip as well. I may be a little rusty on these regs. I only carry 4 bullets with me and I hunt with bolt actions.

Tommy

GeauxLSU

Shotguns 3 & 5, rifles unlimited?

Thomas Lackey said:
A shotgun can't have more than 5 rounds of ammo in it. That means you can't take your police version that can carry 8 or more rounds.

If you shoot a semi auto rifle you can't put a 30 round clip in it, I think the clip limit is a five round clip as well. I may be a little rusty on these regs. I only carry 4 bullets with me and I hunt with bolt actions.

Tommy
From the regs: "Shotguns must be plugged to a maximum capacity of 3 shells (magazine and chamber combined) except for deer, bear & feral hog hunting. For deer, bear & feral hog hunting, shotguns are limited to 5 shells. Plugs must be one piece and incapable of being removed through the loading end of the magazine. Silencers may not be used for hunting."

I don't think there's any regs on maximum number of RIFLE cartridges you can carry but I could be wrong. Anyone know? Obviously 10/22s and such are used for small game and carry more than 5 rounds. ::huh:

Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
What if it was a friend not a stranger? Would you look them in the face and say I'm turning you in, for say, He refuses to wear his orange in his deer stand, but wears it on the ground always???

Tommy