My pups got heartworm

rehatch

just enough factual information to make it seem believable, especially if you do not believe in fact checking! Heartworm infection is not a rare phenomenon in most of the continental united states and is becoming increasingly worse every year. If you actually do intelligent research, you will find that heartworm infection is exceedingly common in certain regions of the country. In my neck of the woods 1:7 (capc.net) dogs are heartworm positive. This number is based on "reported" tests which are low due to most tests being run in house. At my clinic no heartworm positive cases are reported for statistics and i can guarantee you that 1:7 is low for this area.
Much of the info in this article i do not disagree with, however, there is much that is left out or plain wrong! In southern states, heartworm transmission is a year round problem!
Everyone wants to point at the "greedy, money-hungry" vet being out to get you and your money. It is quite obvious that these people have no idea what veterinarians actually make; let alone how much they spent on their education. You should probably take the time to do that research and maybe your eyes would open to how ridiculous this idea sounds.

Heartworm prevention, or "treatment" monthly, depending on your symmantics, is simply that. Monthly treatment to PREVENT your dog from developing heartworm disease. buying ivermectin at tsc to use as a preventative works great if you want to keep costs to a minimum, as long as you do it monthly.
I cannot remotely act as if there arent horrible, unscrupulous veterinarians out there. But, if you think that as a profession that we would "scare jar" clients into unneccessary treatment you're insane. Please show me what the point would be! Because financially it does NOT line our pockets as this article and other statements on this thread make it seem. I definitely couldnt afford life on the mere selling of heartworm prevention.
I hope that those of you reading this do not take this as an assault or fight. I simply chimed in to offer "free" expert advice on something that i deal with every single day in practice and that is very preventable. I do not wish to be argumentative or vile. I just hate to see my profession get bashed by false ideaology. There is no one perfect treatment or preventative for heartworm disease, and, regardless of cost, any veterinarian worth his/her salt should be willing to discuss every option with you. If not, you really should be looking for a new one. I would be more than willing to discuss every aspect of this thread and the quoted article with anyone and be willing to show you any and all data out there concerning heartworm disease, prevention, disease complications and treatment anytime. My only hope is that i help atleast one person prevent this disease from affecting their pet and open their eyes to the fact that caring for your pet is my, and most veterinarians top priority.

The best thing to do is Prevent, prevent, prevent.

Nannyman

Only problem is the OPs dog was on heartworm prevention. The very young dog supposedly had heartworms and then the vet charged the man for a very expensive cure. Sorry but I smell a rat somewhere.

Joe Overby

Nannyman, the op has stated that the dog was on heartgard...which uses ivomectin as it's active ingredient. It is common knowledge now that there is an Ivomec resistant strain of HW that covers an expansive part of the southeast and the entire Mississippi flyway. So, just because the dog was young, and on a monthly preventative does not warrant conspiracy theories. This can happen regardless of age, health, environment, or presence of preventative usage.

rehatch

There are resistant heartworms populations to ALL macrocyclic lactones (i.e. all heartworm preventatives). However, these worms are only in select areas and resistance is not caused by the use of heartworm preventions, but due to a mutation only within that population of worms. Any dog on heartworm prevention can potentially develop the disease due to the fact that NO medication is 100% effective. These cases do happen, but they are rare. Regardless of how you feel about the veterinary profession, there is no "rat" at play, but a natural phenomenon that happens in ALL facets of medicine both veterinary and human. Preventative treatment is the ONLY way to offer any form of protection to your dog from heartworm disease!!!

longbowdave1

Well, we got the "all clear" blood test back this week! Ol' Miss Riley is back to her good ol' self now, thanks to a good Vet! :cool:

Again, thank you to all for your support!