GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Gunsmithing Discussion and Tips

Old 10-09-2017, 11:38 PM
Cool colt 1911 national match 45

COLT 1911, NATIONAL MATCH 45 ACP ser number 10691 NM. what can you tell me about the year of gun the gun it's my mother-in-law
Attached Images

Last edited by turkeyman55; 10-12-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:59 PM

According to Colt's serial number lookup site, that NM was made in 1962.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:59 PM

1962, according to Colts website. I would take the rubber grips off & clean them and put a good coat of oil or grease on the frame b4 putting them back on. Those rubber grips hold moisture under them bad, causing rust.
Tom
Old 10-10-2017, 04:21 PM

Oh, and by the way, Colt did offer several of their 1911 models with the rubber wrap around Packmayr grips (option ?). I have one like your example, and it came with the Packmayr grips. I eventually swapped it out for the original slab style tan walnut grips with gold medallions.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:50 PM
Default Colt 1911, national match 45 year made ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgapeach View Post
according to colt's serial number lookup site, that nm was made in 1962.
is my gun gold cup and VALUE VERY NICE CONDITION NO PITTING BLUE STILL VERY BRIGHT IS GUN 70 SERIES OR 80 SERIES THANK YOU PS WHEN I TAKE RUBBER GRIPS OFF ON BACK OF GRIPS IT READS COLT 45

Last edited by turkeyman55; 10-10-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyman55 View Post
is my gun gold cup and VALUE VERY NICE CONDITION NO PITTING BLUE STILL VERY BRIGHT IS GUN 70 SERIES OR 80 SERIES THANK YOU PS WHEN I TAKE RUBBER GRIPS OFF ON BACK OF GRIPS IT READS COLT 45
i have box but it said one side union uaw made GOLD CUP NATIONAL MATCH MARK IV SERIES 70 MODEL 5870 I THOUGHT IT WAS WRONG BOX GUESS NOT
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2017, 07:14 PM

Your Colt is a Gold Cup National Match (providing all components of the pistol are original). The words "Gold Cup" didn't appear on the slide until 1970. Your NM is a pre-series 70. Series 70 pistols were produced from 1970 until 1983. Your's is earlier than that.

I can't tell by the pictures but, the mainspring housing (lower rear of the grip) should not be arched. It should be as straight as the back of the magazine housing / grip line. It may be my old eyes or a shadow in the pic. If it's arched, that particular part may have been replaced sometime during its history.

The Packmayr grips may also have been an owner addition. The "Colt 45" marked inside the grip just indicates what firearm this particular grip is manufactured to fit. I don't know if they were optional in the early '60s or not. They were (and still are) a popular modification to the 1911s. Your receiver should have a "NM" rollmark on the right side above the trigger somewhere. That would help verify the originality of the receiver to the slide.

Your first assumption about the box was correct. The end label indicates it contained a Mark IV / Series '70. Your specimen pre-dates that series by eight years. It is a great looking, fine conditioned, box and worth keeping.

There's a lot of info to be gained by doing a google search for your Colt. You'll find a few Colt 1911 dedicated forum sites worth browsing through to learn more about the history and specifics of your particular year NM.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
your colt is a gold cup national match (providing all components of the pistol are original). The words "gold cup" didn't appear on the slide until 1970. Your nm is a pre-series 70. Series 70 pistols were produced from 1970 until 1983. Your's is earlier than that.

I can't tell by the pictures but, the mainspring housing (lower rear of the grip) should not be arched. It should be as straight as the back of the magazine housing / grip line. It may be my old eyes or a shadow in the pic. If it's arched, that particular part may have been replaced sometime during its history.

The packmayr grips may also have been an owner addition. The "colt 45" marked inside the grip just indicates what firearm this particular grip is manufactured to fit. I don't know if they were optional in the early '60s or not. They were (and still are) a popular modification to the 1911s. Your receiver should have a "nm" rollmark on the right side above the trigger somewhere. That would help verify the originality of the receiver to the slide.

Your first assumption about the box was correct. The end label indicates it contained a mark iv / series '70. Your specimen pre-dates that series by eight years. It is a great looking, fine conditioned, box and worth keeping.

There's a lot of info to be gained by doing a google search for your colt. You'll find a few colt 1911 dedicated forum sites worth browsing through to learn more about the history and specifics of your particular year nm.
i added 2 pictures let me know
Attached Images

Last edited by turkeyman55; 10-11-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Your Colt is a Gold Cup National Match (providing all components of the pistol are original). The words "Gold Cup" didn't appear on the slide until 1970. Your NM is a pre-series 70. Series 70 pistols were produced from 1970 until 1983. Your's is earlier than that.

The Packmayr grips may also have been an owner addition. The "Colt 45" marked inside the grip just indicates what firearm this particular grip is manufactured to fit. I don't know if they were optional in the early '60s or not. They were (and still are) a popular modification to the 1911s. Your receiver should have a "NM" rollmark on the right side above the trigger somewhere. That would help verify the originality of the receiver to the slide.

Your first assumption about the box was correct. The end label indicates it contained a Mark IV / Series '70. Your specimen pre-dates that series by eight years. It is a great looking, fine conditioned, box and worth keeping.

There's a lot of info to be gained by doing a google search for your Colt. You'll find a few Colt 1911 dedicated forum sites worth browsing through to learn more about the history and specifics of your particular year NM.
I POSTED 2 NEW PICTURES ABOUT the mainspring housing (lower rear of the grip) should not be arched. It should be as straight as the back of the magazine housing / grip line.
Attached Images

Last edited by turkeyman55; 10-11-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:03 PM

Have the Gold Cup's always had checkered front straps?
Old 10-12-2017, 06:48 PM

Not that I'm aware of. None of the ones I have now have cut checkering. Looking at your pictures, I actually thought the grip was a wrap around style of rubber grip (like was available on the Colt Officers model). I didn't realize the checkering was actually cut into the front strap. That'd be another "owner option" added.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of. None of the ones I have now have cut checkering. Looking at your pictures, I actually thought the grip was a wrap around style of rubber grip (like was available on the Colt Officers model). I didn't realize the checkering was actually cut into the front strap. That'd be another "owner option" added.
Not my pics, or pistol.

The grips are Pachmayrs, that set looks like the wrap-around style.

All the Gold Cups I've seen had very fine checkering (much finer and sharper than the diamond pattern on the Pachmayr wrap-around) on front strap of grip. Was wondering if that could be used to determine if the OP's frame actually matched his slide...
Old 10-12-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
not that i'm aware of. None of the ones i have now have cut checkering. Looking at your pictures, i actually thought the grip was a wrap around style of rubber grip (like was available on the colt officers model). I didn't realize the checkering was actually cut into the front strap. That'd be another "owner option" added.
grip is wrap around
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyjoe View Post
1962, according to colts website. I would take the rubber grips off & clean them and put a good coat of oil or grease on the frame b4 putting them back on. Those rubber grips hold moisture under them bad, causing rust.
Tom
thanks
Old 10-12-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve762us View Post
Not my pics, or pistol.

The grips are Pachmayrs, that set looks like the wrap-around style.

All the Gold Cups I've seen had very fine checkering (much finer and sharper than the diamond pattern on the Pachmayr wrap-around) on front strap of grip. Was wondering if that could be used to determine if the OP's frame actually matched his slide...
Duh on my part! Been a long day......

To be honest with you, all of the pre-70 and 70 series I have ever looked at (including the ones I own) had the straight vertical / parallel groves running nearly the full length of the front strap. I've never had the pleasure to look at one with the checkered front strap. I wonder if those were the military versions. Guess I need to get schooled more on the early army 1911s.

The most significant differences between the pre-70 series and other series of GCNM Colts is the lightened slide (extra milling done to the inside of the slide to reduce weight), the solid hand fitted barrel bushing, and a wider trigger.

Just looking at the OP's pictures; the slide has period correct rollmarks for the serial number on the frame. If the slide is locked racked back, a lightened slide should allow the extractor to be view by turning the pistol upside down and look through the underside of the slide. You can really tell if it's a '57 through a '70 slide when you take it off the gun and put it beside a series 70 slide. They hogged out quite a lot of metal in that pre-70 series slide to reduce the weight. There should also be a considerably lighter recoil spring than "full weight" Colts of other eras. That reduced weight comes with a drawback, though; full powered ammunition (surplus GI ball for example) has the potential to damage the gun. Recommendations are to use the lighter weight (180 gr.) lead wad cutter ammo.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyman55 View Post
grip is wrap around
If the mainspring housing and grip are the only modifications, and the barrel and rest of the internals are in good condition, you should have one sweet and accurate NM! You can pick up period correct lumber grip slabs and a straight MS housing relatively cheap, if you want to get it back to "stock".

Very nice, in my opinion.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:

To be honest with you, all of the pre-70 and 70 series I have ever looked at (including the ones I own) had the straight vertical / parallel groves running nearly the full length of the front strap. I've never had the pleasure to look at one with the checkered front strap. I wonder if those were the military versions. Guess I need to get schooled more on the early army 1911s.

The most significant differences between the pre-70 series and other series of GCNM Colts is the lightened slide (extra milling done to the inside of the slide to reduce weight), the solid hand fitted barrel bushing, and a wider trigger.

Just looking at the OP's pictures; the slide has period correct rollmarks for the serial number on the frame. If the slide is locked racked back, a lightened slide should allow the extractor to be view by turning the pistol upside down and look through the underside of the slide. You can really tell if it's a '57 through a '70 slide when you take it off the gun and put it beside a series 70 slide. They hogged out quite a lot of metal in that pre-70 series slide to reduce the weight. There should also be a considerably lighter recoil spring than "full weight" Colts of other eras. That reduced weight comes with a drawback, though; full powered ammunition (surplus GI ball for example) has the potential to damage the gun. Recommendations are to use the lighter weight (180 gr.) lead wad cutter ammo.
the owner before he pass was in navy about what is gun worth. his spouse wants me to sell for her
Old 10-12-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:

To be honest with you, all of the pre-70 and 70 series I have ever looked at (including the ones I own) had the straight vertical / parallel groves running nearly the full length of the front strap. I've never had the pleasure to look at one with the checkered front strap. I wonder if those were the military versions.
The ones I saw with the fine, sharp checkering were, in fact, military/guvmint property. Just looked through several web images and all the Gold Cups I saw seemed to have smooth front straps, though pics were only side shots.