Who's hunting with an "interesting" caliber this season?

aabradley82

Guess I'll use the 9.3x57 again this year(if I can find where I put my box of bullets safely away). 300 savage will probably get a trip and the 7x57 lives in the truck anyways. Does a 30-06 AI count for weird? I like that 9x57 up above, let's not shoot off the same bench,could get confusing.

GAHUNTER60

Not that uncommon 7x57 1893 Mauser I built.
Drilled and tapped for scope mounts,bent the bolt. Re barreled. Kept original stock but put many hours in sanding it down and shaping it so it didn't feel like a boat paddle and free floated and glass bedded it.

I would never know that was an original Spanish Mauser. nice work on the stock and bolt handle. Did you alter or replace the Mauser safety to make it scope friendly?

The 1893 is the rifle used by the Spanish at San Juan Hill, and caused such a horrific number of American casualties that the U.S. began work to replace its slow-loading Krag rifles with a clip-fed, Mauser-style rifle, resulting in the 1903 Springfield.

GAHUNTER60

Guess I'll use the 9.3x57 again this year(if I can find where I put my box of bullets safely away). 300 savage will probably get a trip and the 7x57 lives in the truck anyways. Does a 30-06 AI count for weird? I like that 9x57 up above, let's not shoot off the same bench,could get confusing.

Is your 9.3 built off a Model 96, or a Model 98? (I may have asked you that last year).

From what I read, anything my .358 Winchester can do, your 9.3x57 can do better (and certainly with more panache!).

ALL Ackley Improved rounds are weird in my book.

.257 Weatherby Magnum

As far as a new to me bullet, ill be shooting a .257 WM that I bought this year. Along with the same ole .308,.308,.308 and so on.

pacecars

Shiloh Sharps in .45-100

.243 win

gets a bad rap.

I own one along with a 6mm rem and both I have killed plenty of deer with. Modern bullets have progressed these calibers popularity. I like federal ammo in both, you pick one but the fusion is hard to beat in both calibers.

I have a friend who hates a 7mm-08....go figure. It has to be the ammo he was using because he sold the gun.

My daughter shoots mine and everything she shoots is an 18" kill...straight down. But, she is a neck shooter...@ 200 yards....what I wouldn't do to be young again and could see like she can.

s&r

Mauser

Thanks,its not the prettiest but it shoots good,lts light,and it handles good,its 40in long. I replaced the safety with a buehler I think. Its been 12 or 13years ago. Would love to build a few more but its crazy how much the mausers cost now.

GAHUNTER60

gets a bad rap.

I own one along with a 6mm rem and both I have killed plenty of deer with. Modern bullets have progressed these calibers popularity. I like federal ammo in both, you pick one but the fusion is hard to beat in both calibers.

I have a friend who hates a 7mm-08....go figure. It has to be the ammo he was using because he sold the gun.

My daughter shoots mine and everything she shoots is an 18" kill...straight down. But, she is a neck shooter...@ 200 yards....what I wouldn't do to be young again and could see like she can.

s&r

You are right about the bullet choice causing a lot of my problems. Back when I was hunting with the .243, I was using factory ammo loaded with 100-grain Game Kings. This was before I became an educated "gun guy" and learned that all bullets work as long as they have the letters N O S L E R P A R T I T I O N printed on the box they come in.

I'm sure many of my problems were the result of that lightly constructed Sierra bullet failing to penetrate fully.

pacecars

What bullet you shoot'n in that sharps? Got a friend that has a .45-110, but no way can he get 110 grains of Swiss single F powder in the case. What's your load?

Just got it. First loads will be using the Lyman 457121 475gr grease groove bullet. I will also work up a load with a 500 gr paper patch mold from Accurate Molds. I will be using Kik FFFg to start out. The Lyman bullet will probably allow 80 grs seating the bullet with all grooves covered and the paper patch should allow 90+ grains of powder.

Should be fun working up loads for it.

243SuperRC

243 Super Rock Chucker, one of the last remaining rifles from a gun collection sale. Barrel had no markings. M700 action. I was the only taker, got it for a very good price. Figured out the caliber and twist rate, but did't know the cartridge chamber. Weeks after buying the rifle, my dad was fortune to find the dies in the seller's workshop.

Reloading was fairly simple. Ran 25-06 brass through the dies. Same case capacity as 240 Weatherby Mag. Barrel was 1 in 12 twist. Shoots 85 gr Sierra hpbt really well.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 243

Jack Ryan

I'll be getting old school on 'em this year. 30-06 Garand and my old slug gun.

Who knows, I may even break out the old Hawken rifle before the season is over.

aabradley82

I've got 2 9.3x57s. One is a husky 46 with a side scopemount and a bushnell 2.5 with post-crosshair. The other is a 146 that I had d&t witha 4x weaver. I'm seriously thinking of reaming it to a 9.3x62.

GAHUNTER60

I've got 2 9.3x57s. One is a husky 46 with a side scopemount and a bushnell 2.5 with post-crosshair. The other is a 146 that I had d&t witha 4x weaver. I'm seriously thinking of reaming it to a 9.3x62.

Yeah, the 46 is a small ring Mauseris built off a Model 94/96 action, and reputed to be a little weaker than the model 146, which unless I'm mistaken is built on an FN '98 action. Both actions are suitable to ream out to 9.3x62, but the 146 is obviously the better choice.

My son shoots a CZ 9.3x62 and has vowed that if he (or we) ever return to Africa, he is going to use it to take a cape buffalo, as the 9.3 is the legal minimum allowed in Zimbabwe for hunting dangerous game. The 286 grain 9.3 bullet is one of the best balanced, deepest penetrating bullets every invented for a rifle caliber and is capable of great killing power.

N o s l e r p a r t i t i o n

Certainly a fine bullet choice. I shot these in my 2506 for many years.

Today, I am a bonded bullet guy. I like the Federal Fusion but I also like the Hornady Interloc round as well.

The North American Whitetail rounds are what I am shooting now and I am more than pleased with the results.

Good Luck this season for you as well.

Me and my .270 are ready. However, my 2506(sweetness) at this point feels she is being neglected so she might have to bark this season as well.

s&r

Darien1

The last two years I have been rotating between my Winchester 70's in 257 Bob and 6.5X55, and an old Ruger 77 in 250 Savage. I think this year I will go back to my old reliable. My Marlin in .308 Marlin Express. That is the finest deer rifle I have ever owned or shot.

ssramage

Nothing super interesting but I'll mainly be toting the .25-06 I just finished. Will also likely hunt with my 6.5 Creedmoor.

And I always find a time to bring out my Marlin .30-30 (first gun I killed a deer with), my grandpa's Remington 742 Woodsmaster .30-06, and I just picked up a Browning BLR .243 manufactured in the year I was born (1988) that will see woods time as well.