GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Firearms, Reloading and Scopes
Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 08:49 PM
GONetwork Member

I'm taking My Marlin lever gun in 44Mag with me to Canada next month, Not that unusual of a caliber but very unusual to hunt Canadian whitetails with, I think it will be a challenge to kill a good buck with a old 44mag with iron sites
Old 10-11-2017, 08:55 PM

I always take my 130 year old 1873 Winchester in 38-40 out once a year, and will probably use a Ruger No. 1 in .300 Holland and Holland, .405 Win. and .250 Savage, and Savage 99's in .284 Win. and .358 Win. "Interesting" calibers are right up my alley.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weagle View Post
This year I will be hunting with a rifle I bought about a month ago. It's a sproterized Mauser / Belgium guild gun built on a small ring 98 Mexican mauser. It has a octagon to round barrel with a full length solid rib. The scope is an old Weaver K3-1.

It's chambered in 9x57 mauser. One of the original Mauser calibers that was very popular in Africa before WWII. It's probably the rarest of the Calibers that the Winchester model 54 and 70 were ever chambered in. The last commercial rifles were built in the '30s. I'm shooting 50+ year old Kynoch 245gr round nose ammo, but will be reloading with 200gr Hornady .358 spire points using resized 8x57 brass when I get a chance to work up a load. Ballistics fall between .358 winchester and .35 Whelen.

Now THAT is an interesting caliber!!!

I know the cartridge, as, unless I'm mistaken, it became popular in Europe after The Great War when military calibers were outlawed for hunting in many countries (including several in southern Africa). The simple solution was to neck up the 8x57 Mauser to 9mm, so the only thing that needed to be done to convert the thousands of 8mm guns floating around to a legal caliber was to rebarrel or rebore. All the other dimensions -- bolt face, magazine, feed rails, etc. -- remained the same! And, you are right, it was very popular in Africa, second only to the 9.3x62, which was coveted for its stopping power on dangerous game.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 021 View Post
I always take my 130 year old 1873 Winchester in 38-40 out once a year, and will probably use a Ruger No. 1 in .300 Holland and Holland, .405 Win. and .250 Savage, and Savage 99's in .284 Win. and .358 Win. "Interesting" calibers are right up my alley.
Now you are someone who gets it! Great calibers all (especially the H&H)!
Old 10-11-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
I'm taking My Marlin lever gun in 44Mag with me to Canada next month, Not that unusual of a caliber but very unusual to hunt Canadian whitetails with, I think it will be a challenge to kill a good buck with a old 44mag with iron sites
Remember, those Canadian whitetails are in some cases twice the size our bucks. Shot placement is everything, no matter what you are shooting!
Old 10-11-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHUNTER60 View Post
Now THAT is an interesting caliber!!!

I know the cartridge, as, unless I'm mistaken, it became popular in Europe after The Great War when military calibers were outlawed for hunting in many countries (including several in southern Africa). The simple solution was to neck up the 8x57 Mauser to 9mm, so the only thing that needed to be done to convert the thousands of 8mm guns floating around to a legal caliber was to rebarrel or rebore. All the other dimensions -- bolt face, magazine, feed rails, etc. -- remained the same! And, you are right, it was very popular in Africa, second only to the 9.3x62, which was coveted for its stopping power on dangerous game.
Yep. The barrel on my rifle was originally 8x57, but way back when it was rebored to 9x57. The cartridge predates WWII, and was an original Mauser offering, but it was definitly boosted in popularity by the fact that 8x57 barrels and actions were pretty easy to convert. The 250 gr round nose bullets are killers of great reputation. They are obviously overkill here in GA, but .358 wincherish loads are easy to mimic with 200gr spirepoints.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:05 PM

I'll be doing a lot of hunting with my Kimber in .338 Fed. Really like how that round performs. I'll also use my old .303 Brit and k98 8x57. Have an old 1892 in 38 WCF that I'm going to use a few times in some short range areas.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:35 PM

Since there's been several 6.5 Swede's brought up, I'll jump in.
I check sighted my two Swedes today and I'm feeling pretty good.
One is a rebarreled Remington mountain LS that started out as a .270.
The other is a Tikka T3 lite stainless.
Name:  IMG_0629.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  54.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0630.JPG
Views: 270
Size:  49.7 KB
Old 10-12-2017, 01:08 PM

One of the funny things about these "interesting and unique" calibers is, over time, the ones that are really, really good, enjoy a resurgence with American hunters -- sometimes to the point that they becomes "mainstream" again. The 6.5x55 (Swede) is a good example. Even though the caliber had a loyal, albeit small, following in this country throughout the 20th Century, it remained wildly popular in Europe where it was reputed to possess killing power well beyond it's 26-caliber size. Eventually, probably through numerous articles by American by gun writers (who seem to love all things metric), it's popularity grew on this side of the pond (deservedly so) to the point that it can no longer be viewed as unique.

Another good example is the old 45-70. When I was a teenager, I was introduced to this strange round through an aunt who owned an original trap-door Springfield that had been passed down through the family. When I started researching what the gun fired, I found out that it was ".45 Government," also known as .45-70. I was shocked to find out that there was still ammo being manufactured for it because there were so many guns of this caliber still in use, mostly in the back woods.

I became enamored with the cartridge and vowed that someday, I'd be the first person in our deer club to take a deer with this old bruiser. Little did I know back then that the 45-70 was destined to enjoy a major resurgence, mainly due to the fact that its large case, originally loaded with black powder, could be filled with modern powders and stuffed into stronger modern actions to create a real thumper of a large and dangerous game rifle, capable of taking even charging elephants! Today, there are at least two rifles of this caliber used regularly in our club on whitetails. But when I saw a Marlin Model 95 in .45-70 on the shelf at WalMart a couple of years ago, I knew conclusively that the old gal had crossed over from niche-shooters caliber to an everyday Bubba gun.

Lord help me, if I ever see a .404 Jeffery on the WalMart shelf, I'm gonna lose it!
Old 10-12-2017, 01:26 PM

Yes, a mod 99EG i found in a pawn shop about 17 years ago. I always wanted one since i was a young'n
it was the first gun i carried when i was old enough to buy my own license, my uncle loaned one to me and i fell in love with it Wasn't until year 2000 that i found one that i liked. It wears a Nikon 1-4.5 20mm scope on it.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:42 PM

Unique guns I've hunted with.
1894 marlin limited edition trapper in 44mag its smaller then a red Ryder.

7x30 waters in a pistol was Thor's hammer really liked that one.

We have a .356 Winchester it's hard to find that ammo we reloaded An have 150brass it's a gun that lots have never seen. Ours is a Marlin lever gun wanna say around 1990.

I hunted a good bit with a .257Roberts it was a fun gun easy to carry easy to shoot. I killed 4 with it one weekend. 110gr accubond reloads made it a bad lil dude.

I have 6.8spc barrel on my contender, that's a cool case trying to get some steam amongst shooters .277 110grTSX no recoil at all but it shoots lights out.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:53 PM

The .300 Savage is the "original" short action .30 caliber round, and incredibly effective on whitetails, mule deer, and in some cases, elk! Not only is the round itself great, the Model 99 Savage, for which it was specifically designed, is a rifle of pure joy to carry. It's a shame the .308 came along and usurped the .300 Savage, which would still be going strong had the military just adapted it instead of the only-slightly-more-powerful .308 round.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:04 PM

The .257 Roberts is a caliber with which gun writers seem to have a love/hate relationship. I personally have no experience with one, but I have lots of experience with a .243 Winchester, which is the caliber most writers try to compare it to when writing about it.

Most claim the Roberts is a better round than the .243, which is good, 'cause I'll go to my grave hating the .243 based on my experience hunting with it over the years.

(I don't want to get into an argument about the .243. I know there are bunches of folks who love it and have made dozens of one-shot kills from 10 to 500 yards. I just happen to be one who does not like it based solely on my experiences.)
Old 10-12-2017, 02:08 PM

Not that uncommon 7x57 1893 Mauser I built.
Drilled and tapped for scope mounts,bent the bolt. Re barreled. Kept original stock but put many hours in sanding it down and shaping it so it didn't feel like a boat paddle and free floated and glass bedded it.
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2017, 02:45 PM

Gonna be hanging with a new Henry 45/70 for the few times i will gun hunt this year -
"John 3:16"
Old 10-12-2017, 03:39 PM

Guess I'll use the 9.3x57 again this year(if I can find where I put my box of bullets safely away). 300 savage will probably get a trip and the 7x57 lives in the truck anyways. Does a 30-06 AI count for weird? I like that 9x57 up above, let's not shoot off the same bench,could get confusing.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauser View Post
Not that uncommon 7x57 1893 Mauser I built.
Drilled and tapped for scope mounts,bent the bolt. Re barreled. Kept original stock but put many hours in sanding it down and shaping it so it didn't feel like a boat paddle and free floated and glass bedded it.
I would never know that was an original Spanish Mauser. nice work on the stock and bolt handle. Did you alter or replace the Mauser safety to make it scope friendly?

The 1893 is the rifle used by the Spanish at San Juan Hill, and caused such a horrific number of American casualties that the U.S. began work to replace its slow-loading Krag rifles with a clip-fed, Mauser-style rifle, resulting in the 1903 Springfield.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabradley82 View Post
Guess I'll use the 9.3x57 again this year(if I can find where I put my box of bullets safely away). 300 savage will probably get a trip and the 7x57 lives in the truck anyways. Does a 30-06 AI count for weird? I like that 9x57 up above, let's not shoot off the same bench,could get confusing.
Is your 9.3 built off a Model 96, or a Model 98? (I may have asked you that last year).

From what I read, anything my .358 Winchester can do, your 9.3x57 can do better (and certainly with more panache!).

ALL Ackley Improved rounds are weird in my book.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppthepop View Post
Gonna be hanging with a new Henry 45/70 for the few times i will gun hunt this year -
I bet you didn't buy that one off the shelf at Wally World!
Old 10-12-2017, 03:59 PM
Default .257 Weatherby Magnum

As far as a new to me bullet, ill be shooting a .257 WM that I bought this year. Along with the same ole .308,.308,.308 and so on.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:04 PM

Shiloh Sharps in .45-100

Old 10-12-2017, 04:16 PM
Default .243 win

gets a bad rap.

I own one along with a 6mm rem and both I have killed plenty of deer with. Modern bullets have progressed these calibers popularity. I like federal ammo in both, you pick one but the fusion is hard to beat in both calibers.

I have a friend who hates a 7mm-08....go figure. It has to be the ammo he was using because he sold the gun.

My daughter shoots mine and everything she shoots is an 18" kill...straight down. But, she is a neck shooter...@ 200 yards....what I wouldn't do to be young again and could see like she can.

s&r
Old 10-12-2017, 04:26 PM

Thanks,its not the prettiest but it shoots good,lts light,and it handles good,its 40in long. I replaced the safety with a buehler I think. Its been 12 or 13years ago. Would love to build a few more but its crazy how much the mausers cost now.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacecars View Post
Shiloh Sharps in .45-100

What bullet you shoot'n in that sharps? Got a friend that has a .45-110, but no way can he get 110 grains of Swiss single F powder in the case. What's your load?
Old 10-12-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurrs and racks View Post
gets a bad rap.

I own one along with a 6mm rem and both I have killed plenty of deer with. Modern bullets have progressed these calibers popularity. I like federal ammo in both, you pick one but the fusion is hard to beat in both calibers.

I have a friend who hates a 7mm-08....go figure. It has to be the ammo he was using because he sold the gun.

My daughter shoots mine and everything she shoots is an 18" kill...straight down. But, she is a neck shooter...@ 200 yards....what I wouldn't do to be young again and could see like she can.

s&r
You are right about the bullet choice causing a lot of my problems. Back when I was hunting with the .243, I was using factory ammo loaded with 100-grain Game Kings. This was before I became an educated "gun guy" and learned that all bullets work as long as they have the letters N O S L E R P A R T I T I O N printed on the box they come in.

I'm sure many of my problems were the result of that lightly constructed Sierra bullet failing to penetrate fully.