GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Political Forum

Old 10-10-2017, 07:12 AM
GON Severe Weatherman
Default The Liberal Commies are headed for a McGovern Redux....

If you were alive then, you can see it coming. The Liberal Commies just don't know when to just shut up and be happy with what they have. It's not about the country to them, it's all about power.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...on-2020-215687

Quote:
In 1968, as in 2016, Democrats narrowly lost the White House after nominating a relatively moderate, establishment candidate instead of a more liberal alternative who had inspired a raging enthusiasm among younger voters. Democrats spent much of the next four years arguing about what direction the party should take. White working-class voters—traditionally a Democratic bloc—were sluicing away, and progressives, convinced the party needed to change both its policy direction and its coalition of supporters, demanded a new approach: a “loose peace coalition” of minorities, young voters and educated white Democrats, as strategist Fred Dutton wrote in his 1971 book, Changing Sources of Power. One year later, the party’s presidential nominee, the ultra-liberal Senator George McGovern of South Dakota, went on to lose 49 states in one of the most lopsided victories in American history.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:49 AM

I can see a little correlation
Old 10-10-2017, 07:55 AM
GON Severe Weatherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyHoel View Post
I can see a little correlation
As long as she is standing, or can be propped up, Hillary will forever be the Liberal Commies present day McGovern.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1447...y-huge-lasting

Quote:
“We have a cult of the president, where we make too big a deal of the president.” Political history is made by all sorts people, of course—businesspeople, generals, intellectuals, activists, members of Congress, and, yes, sometimes losers. Clinton’s lifetime of political achievements and failures ensure that she’ll be anything but a historical footnote.
Quote:
Two of the biggest political losers in American history were Barry Goldwater in 1964 and George McGovern in 1972, yet both candidates were enormously transformative. Goldwater initiated the takeover of the Republican Party by the conservative movement, and pioneered the use of racist dog whistles that have characterized Republican politics to this day. McGovern, famously caricatured as the candidate of “acid, amnesty, and abortion,” made social liberalism one of the pillars of the Democratic Party. He actively courted feminist voters, campaigning on increasing the participation of women (and minorities) in the party. In 1968, women made up just 13 of delegates at the Democratic National Convention. Thanks to changes pushed by the McGovern campaign, that number reached 40 percent in 1972. While the measure to include gays rights in the platform failed that year, McGovern stated that he considered it a civil rights issue, a first for a presidential candidate.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:42 PM

I felt that Bernie Sanders was the modern day McGovern. While I don't agree with a lot of their talking points, I was impressed with how they were passionate for their cause.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee in GA View Post
I felt that Bernie Sanders was the modern day McGovern. While I don't agree with a lot of their talking points, I was impressed with how they were passionate for their cause.
Passion for stupidity is not a good thing.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:39 PM

The day the GOP candidate can win California is the day we might see another McGovern....

"It's far easier than you think to manipulate a nation of naive, self-absorbed sheep..." ~Congressman X
Old 10-12-2017, 03:47 PM

Which begs the question.. Why can't the Republicans take advantage of the conservative wave taking over the company.

I know the answer.
2nd Thessalonians 3:10-12
Association of Dime Store Cowboys-Regular, Average Run of the Mill member.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhunter1 View Post
Which begs the question.. Why can't the Republicans take advantage of the conservative wave taking over the company.

I know the answer.
I highlighted the 2 major flaws in your post, but I'm sure you already knew them.

Was at the Georgia National Fair yesterday and had a conversation with 2 people at a "Republican" booth with a cutout of Trump supporting local candidates.
They did not like me.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:21 PM

McGovern chaired a DNC "reform committee" that changed the method by which convention delegates were chosen.
Basically, the traditional backbone of the democrat party was cut out, that being mostly white-male middle class Southerners. Supposedly, women and minorities and young people were to be represented in numbers reflecting their ratio in the general population.

A joke at the time was that if you were on your way to the '72 Democrat convention, and passed a group of hippies smoking dope and needing a bath, you had best pick them up, because they were probably delegates.

The reforms resulted in republican control of the White House from 1968 until 1992, except for the four years of the Carter Trainwreck.

There are some interesting parallels, but whether history will repeat that era remains to be seen.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee in GA View Post
I felt that Bernie Sanders was the modern day McGovern.
McGovern was more successful. He at least got the nomination before Nixon crushed him.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:18 AM

This is true, although I think the modern day DNC would make sure that neither candidate would get that nomination.