Have you ever thought about Hunting Africa?

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
not being able to bring the meat back is a deal breaker for me.

It's a hard for me too man. Idk if it'll be a deal breaker in the long future. But I love meat!

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Did my Africa hunting in Morocco 1960-61-62, on the Naval base when i was in the Navy. Small game with bow and arrows. That was enough Africa for me.

Phillip Thurmond

If you could bring it back you probably could not afford it. My Eland was about 900 Lbs could you imagine having to ship that back and what it would cost?

sea trout

If you could bring it back you probably could not afford it. My Eland was about 900 Lbs could you imagine having to ship that back and what it would cost?

Yes but for the average family that could be the year supply of red meat.
The rest of the trip/flights is paid for anyway.

But I do understand what your saying. Probably 350lbs or more of meat would be difficult on the airline and expense passed on to the hunter.
But hey...once in a lifetime... yeah I'd want do everything in my power to get my meat home.

sea trout

Awesome pictures y'all have posted by the way!!
Spectacular beast!!!!! Congrats!!!!

Havana Dude

Never taken a shine to wantin to go over there and hunt. It interests me zero. I don’t begrudge those who go or long to go, it just ain’t my cup of tea.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've always loved reading stories about hunting Africa's dangerous game. I don't care to do it myself and doubt I'll ever go there but I enjoy hearing others' tales about it. Capstick is a favorite of mine. I've got Horn of the Hunter on my soon-to-be-read list.

Beautiful critters you all have posted! Well, except for NCHillbilly's...

Horn of the Hunter is a great book. Once you read it, you'll see where Capstick stole some of his lines from. :D

And yeah, them critters give me the creeps. Google "aye-aye," and watch them tapping on a tree limb with that big long skinny finger.......:eek:

dtala

I just love hearing folks THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN TO AFRICA tell all about how it is to hunt in Africa. Africa is a huge land and hunting varies greatly across that land. 95% of African hunting is canned is 100% a made up, grabbed out yer butt, number. South Africa has a good number of high fenced places with tens of thousands of acres of land. Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Namibia, etc have very few fenced properties. The Save where I hunted in Zim is over a million acres, and fenced with cattle fence with HUGE holes in it everywhere. Not what any sane person would call a "canned " hunt. We had Leopard and Lion in our camp at night....and none of em were named.

I'm pretty sure if any of you "I don't care to hunt Africa" fellas ever went there you would quickly change your mind about the hunting.

Havana Dude

I just love hearing folks THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN TO AFRICA tell all about how it is to hunt in Africa. Africa is a huge land and hunting varies greatly across that land. 95% of African hunting is canned is 100% a made up, grabbed out yer butt, number. South Africa has a good number of high fenced places with tens of thousands of acres of land. Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Namibia, etc have very few fenced properties. The Save where I hunted in Zim is over a million acres, and fenced with cattle fence with HUGE holes in it everywhere. Not what any sane person would call a "canned " hunt. We had Leopard and Lion in our camp at night....and none of em were named.

I'm pretty sure if any of you "I don't care to hunt Africa" fellas ever went there you would quickly change your mind about the hunting.

I don’t claim to know anything about hunting over there. I have no desire to go on ANY kind of guided hunt. I have access to a 3400 acre quail plantation that I work at. I’m basically told what deer I can and can’t shoot. I can live with that, that is the rules. I’d much prefer to hunt my 40 acre swamp, and go by my own rules. I’m no opposed to hunting Africa, I just don’t have the first desire to do it. Never will.

Dirtroad Johnson

I don’t claim to know anything about hunting over there. I have no desire to go on ANY kind of guided hunt. I have access to a 3400 acre quail plantation that I work at. I’m basically told what deer I can and can’t shoot. I can live with that, that is the rules. I’d much prefer to hunt my 40 acre swamp, and go by my own rules. I’m no opposed to hunting Africa, I just don’t have the first desire to do it. Never will.

:cheers: Me either - not my cup of tea...

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
"Trophy" is back..

On cnn..

Right now. as of 10:13 tonight. ;)

Big7

The Oracle
Just sick.

ANY IDIOT can shoot that.

NOT hunting.

Just Sayin'.

deers2ward

Yep! ^^

There are a bunch of high fence operations in the United States, too. (I've never been to one, but I know they are out there.)

Imagine a bunch of people in any other country/on another continent saying these same things about hunting in the US....Pretty ignorant.

And for folks who poo poo on "guided hunts"...I call sour grapes. Maybe for you in your world of "dont ever need to leave the county I grew up in", I'm sure you are great at killing a whitetail or catching a bass. Good for you. But if someone in another part of the world wants to experience that, they don't have your experience, gear, knowledge, or permission to hunt the places you do. And because of their nationality or the state they live in, they may not be able to DIY even if they wanted to. Some people like to explore new experiences and learn about the rest of the world and animal kingdom beyond books and TV. Just because you don't....no need to hate on people who do and try to discredit the world of "guided hunting." GON forum never disappoints in the ignorance department.

Last edited:

Havana Dude

Yep! ^^

There are a bunch of high fence operations in the United States, too. (I've never been to one, but I know they are out there.)

Imagine a bunch of people in any other country/on another continent saying these same things about hunting in the US....Pretty ignorant.

And for folks who poo poo on "guided hunts"...I call sour grapes. Maybe for you in your world of "dont ever need to leave the county I grew up in", I'm sure you are great at killing a whitetail or catching a bass. Good for you. But if someone in another part of the world wants to experience that, they don't have your experience, gear, knowledge, or permission to hunt the places you do. And because of their nationality or the state they live in, they may not be able to DIY even if they wanted to. Some people like to explore new experiences and learn about the rest of the world and animal kingdom beyond books and TV. Just because you don't....no need to hate on people who do and try to discredit the world of "guided hunting." GON forum never disappoints in the ignorance department.

I’ll probably get my hand slapped for this but I don’t really care. Do you not bother to read and comprehend ENTIRE posts. I spoke specifically about what you are saying, but nowhere did I say anything about others shouldn’t do it. In fact, I specifically stated I begrudge no one the opportunity to do so, and that it just wasn’t my cup of tea. The original poster asked a question in such a manner as to welcome both sides of the conversation. It never was my intention to be controversial, nor do I think the OP desired this back and forth over opinions. Your opinion of my opinion is not needed here

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Different strokes for different folks.

Im gonna tell you something. When you sit around a campfire and listen to elephants breaking branches just out side of camp or a lion calling down the river. You know you are in a wild place were you are also on the menu. It makes me smile every time I think about it.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Different strokes for different folks.

Im gonna tell you something. When you sit around a campfire and listen to elephants breaking branches just out side of camp or a lion calling down the river. You know you are in a wild place were you are also on the menu. It makes me smile every time I think about it.

Yep

dtala

Exactly ThunderHead. We had a male Leopard that came down the river bank by our camp and loudly voiced his displeasure every third er so night. VERY LOUD grumbling.

Also had an ancient lioness that would come INTO camp and sit by yer tent(the one with the broken zipper). You know, the old lions that can't catch food and take to eating slow humans....

Around the campfire one night my PH asked if we wanted to go shoot some pigs. Sounded good, so we wa;led down to the skinning tent/platform and sat on the concrete platform. It had a 2 foot tall wall you sat behind....AND NO OTHER COVER OR PROTECTION. Also it was so black dark you could not see your hand in front of yer face.

An hour of sitting and suddenly a bone crunches 30 yards to our left. Pigs? I ask my PH. No answer. I whisper a question again. No answer. I whisper a lil louder and he tells me it a lion and SHUT UP. Talk about nervous. Finally PH Jim whispers pigs, get ready and turns on the three cell maglight. Pigs spring for cover, dust flies, and I put two buckshot loads into a running pig at 30 yards.

Jim jumps up and takes off after the pigs. I follow. We'd run 20 yards without light, then shine the light, repeat, repeat, repeat. I'm wondering where the dang lion is now. We end up in the dry riverbed chasing the "wounded" pig. Reeds ten foot tall, you can see three feet WITH the maglight. Something big, like REAL BIG, like truck big is walking maybe 20 feet away in the dark. I ask Jim what it is..he replies HIPPO. I ask if our shotguns will stop a hippo and he shakes his head no. We get the heck out of there. Back at the skinning platform we find out my wife and the tracker found my pig right where I shot it in the grass...we had chased a healthy pig into the river bed!!!!! We finally get in bed so we can get up at sunrise and hunt all day. As my buddy says, you can sleep when you are dead.

Phillip Thurmond

If anyone wants to come to the meeting it will be Monday night at 6:30 at Here is a link to the guys place for anyone who cares to see can look. Myself and several of the guys that I have gone with are featured in the gallery of photos If you are coming please RSVP so we can have a head count for food
678 234-0068

http://www.watervalsafaris.com/index.html

Last edited: