Oat seed

LongLeggedMacDaddy

What kind do yall plant for deer? Where do you get them? Can you buy them by the pound? Do most feed stores sell them?

About all I can find online are in 50 lb bags, and it costs just about as much to ship as the product costs. I just need to add about 10-15 lbs of seed to what I've got. Thanks for any input.

cliff&pam

bought some last year from tractor supply ,early sept. I think they were buck forage oats , around $25.00 50 lb bag

doe shooter

We use feed oats for horses in our food plots. We broadcast a little more to make up for the germination loss. We have also used the buck forage oats and other seeds. I tend to go on the cheap side for fall food plots simply because i don't know what the weather will do. It is the major factor on our food plot success.

BREAK'N WINGS

coker 227's or Buck forage. We carry them. sold by the bag (50lb) and thats what we are, feed and seed store!!!

its recommended 60-120 per acre.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
You probably wont find a feed and seed store that sell partial bags of oats. Almost any feed and seed store will have them. Feed oats will work as well as seed oats. They are the same but havent been germination tested.

LongLeggedMacDaddy

Call Walker Creek they have the really good seed in smaller quantities for all hunters.

Thanks. Where are they for future reference? I've already bought some at our local hunting store. I had to go w/ a 50lb bag of buck forage oats for $30. I tried 2 feed stores around clarkesville but neither of them had oats for some reason. Seems like I've heard of walker creek.

deputyatnight

Buy a bag and sell the rest on ebay as "cat grass" seeds in small packs. Cat lovers will buy the stuff to grow on window sills, and you're costs will be covered many times over.

L

liveoutside

just buy coaker oats not buck forage. you are just paying for a picture of a deer on the bag. o.k so i can't say definitivley that they are actually the same variaty of oat but buck forage sure does have a huge advratising budget to pay for. actually i would go with wheat rather than oats. it's cheaper and pennington has done several studies and found that deer browsing preference is actually higher on wheat than on oats.

LongLeggedMacDaddy

just buy coaker oats not buck forage. you are just paying for a picture of a deer on the bag. o.k so i can't say definitivley that they are actually the same variaty of oat but buck forage sure does have a huge advratising budget to pay for. actually i would go with wheat rather than oats. it's cheaper and pennington has done several studies and found that deer browsing preference is actually higher on wheat than on oats.

I was going to go w/ the cheaper one but noone had anything that I could find around here, so I had to go w/ the buck forage oats that our local hunting store carries. He also had a bag that was an oat/wheat mix, and maybe something else mixed w/ it, but he reccomended the plain forage oats. He said that's all he ever plants, and said that you have to keep it mowed pretty short or the deer won't eat it. His wife said she killed 5 deer in the plot the first year he planted it.

GRIZZLY63

we have always had good success using feed outs strait from the feed store.the germination isnt quite as good but for the price you save a ton of money and they eat them just the same.last year we found them for $9 a 50lb bag.

BowanaLee

we have always had good success using feed outs strait from the feed store.the germination isnt quite as good but for the price you save a ton of money and they eat them just the same.last year we found them for $9 a 50lb bag.

I've been planting feed oats fer years. They work great, cheap too. I also mix in cheap wheat. Around 10.00 per 50 # bag.

HALOJmpr

Feed Oats = $9.99 a bag Germination will be 50-70%. I've heard reference to Tractor Supply and their branded ones are Plotspike Forage Oats. They are seed coated and germination is around 90% and they are $18.99 Both will come up well and are pretty reliable even with bad soil as long as you get some rain. If you have a lot of food plots then plant it with winter rye or wheat and you'll have green pretty plots.

Try to keep it mowed to about 6" every once in a while to keep em coming.