Mossberg maverick rifle 243 youth

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Has anyone got a review for this thing. I believe they a re fairly new on the market, i was thinking of getting one tomorrow for my boy. I found some at a great price.

BigBlack

I do not know anything about that rifle, sorry I cannot help with your question, but what they asking for them? Reason I ask is Academy Sports has Remington 700 ADL 243's in stock for $349.00. I picked up one and hope to break it in this weekend. Plenty of Youth stocks floating around on the messagage boards as well if the adult model has too much pull.

polaris30144

They must be new enough that Mossberg doesn't list them on their web sight. They have the ATR and 4x4, but I only see a shotgun under the Maverick name.

NOYDB

BANNED
The Maverick is a shotgun.

The ATR comes in a youth model in .243.

Like this: http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=98826

If this is what you saw and the price is good then I'd say go for it. All the reviews I've read on the new mossberg rifles have been positive. Sub MOA out of the box.

Prices online run from $330 on up, avg seems to be about $350. However, no one has any in stock. Since Mossberg dosen't list them I'm *guessing* they are discontinued. At least as a youth model. So if you like that gun and have on in hand I'd snap it up.

dixiejacket

Mossberg

Mossberg does now make a Maverick 88 rifle. Adventure Outdoors is advertising them as regular price $249 but now on sale for $199. The calibers listed are .243, .270,
.308 and 30-06.

lungbuster123

I do not know anything about that rifle, sorry I cannot help with your question, but what they asking for them? Reason I ask is Academy Sports has Remington 700 ADL 243's in stock for $349.00. I picked up one and hope to break it in this weekend. Plenty of Youth stocks floating around on the messagage boards as well if the adult model has too much pull.

Thats a good deal on a great gun. I wish I had one close to me I would probably buy one for myself.

VolFan1nGA

Mossberg does now make a Maverick 88 rifle. Adventure Outdoors is advertising them as regular price $249 but now on sale for $199. The calibers listed are .243, .270,
.308 and 30-06.

Dixie, is that an "in store only" special? i don't see those prices on the net.

dixiejacket

Mossberg

Not sure. I am on their mailing list and got an e-mail on Thursday with this gun as part of the advertisement. The sale ends tomorrow and they are closed next week. If you are interested, send me your email and I'll forward this to you.

VolFan1nGA

Boy there is absolutely no info on these on the net. Not even on Mossberg's site. My Dad is feverishly looking through his American Rifleman mags because he remembers a recent review of these guns. And I have really been wanting a good affordable .270 cal.

Thanks Dixiejacket

VolFan1nGA

I did find this http://www.denverammo.com/LONG-GUNS/BOLT/MK28850.html which tells me I am definitely gonna get one. It holds 4 rounds.

CORRECTION- at closer inspection this model is different. The one in the link comes with factory mounted Weaver scope mounts. The "88" does not from looking at the picture I have. Still gonna get one. Will post pics later as I unbox it.

Last edited:

NOYDB

BANNED
I'm going out on a limb (just a little) but the latest offerings by Mossberg have been shooters right out of the box ATR, 4X4. I bet these will too. Sounds like a deal to me. Buy two!

BigBlack

Thats a good deal on a great gun. I wish I had one close to me I would probably buy one for myself.

I just happened to be in Macon so without being around one it would have been a good trek to just buy a rifle.

VolFan1nGA

Ok. So I got the Mossberg Maverick 270WIN yesterday at Adventure Outdoors. First I will say, you won't find anything on these on the net yet. They are that new.

My opinion? I have only unboxed it and dry fired it but I don't see how you can get more for the money! Four round blind box magazine, factory installed Weaver scope mounts (no peep sights), poly one-piece stock/forearm, decent trigger action, decent bolt action. $199 (+ 3% because I didn't have cash and had to use my card).

Attachments

• Moss 1.jpg
    Moss 1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 8,479
  • Moss 2.jpg
    Moss 2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 8,486
  • Moss 3.jpg
    Moss 3.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 8,455
  • Moss 4.jpg
    Moss 4.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 9,021
  • Moss 5.jpg
    Moss 5.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 8,420
  • Moss 7.jpg
    Moss 7.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 8,801
  • Moss 8.jpg
    Moss 8.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 9,902
  • Moss 9.jpg
    Moss 9.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 8,523

VolFan1nGA

One last thing, I wouldn't classify this rifle as a "youth". Feels full-size to me. So maybe we are not talking about the same rifle.

Bill Mc

If it's the one I sold Thursday, it's a youth rifle.

If you take a closer look at the butt stock, you will see a removable piece plus there another piece you can add.

It looks very simliar to the 100 ATR.

NOYDB

BANNED
Looks good!

A suggestion. It'll rile up the glass snobs but so be it.

For a scope: http://www.eabco.com/97DRiflescope01.html

They build custom rifles. When they commissioned a scope be built to their specs, this is what they came up with. I often have shots out to 300yds and with my '06 and Mueller scope I have absolute confidence. With your .270 and that scope your son would have a great set up.

Another possibility: http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MU31044IGR.html

Note the mfc web site charges full retail. He won't undercut his dealers. The dealers discount and sell on ebay for less.

VolFan1nGA

If it's the one I sold Thursday, it's a youth rifle.

If you take a closer look at the butt stock, you will see a removable piece plus there another piece you can add.

It looks very simliar to the 100 ATR.

It is the one you sold me Bill. Thanks for the info. The owner's manual did not say anything about it being a youth model and it felt comfortable on my shoulder. Plus there is almost no info at all on these on the web.

Bill Mc

The piece to add, I thought it was in the box. But maybe I was wrong:huh: