Pine Timber

redlevel

How much can a landowner expect to get per ton for his/her pulpwood right now? Chip'n'saw?

To keep this on topic, I'll probably plant some food plots once the pines are cleared.

I have an offer, and I just wondered if it is in line. I'm sort of between a rock and a hard place on this.

Thanks

Mark

gadeerwoman

Best thing to do is get a couple offers and compare them before you sign a contract. There can be quite a difference sometimes between offers.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
I personally have no idea, though according to the Farm Bureau monthly magazine that I just received today, July timber prices for Chip-n-saw for the South and Middle GA was $15 - $27 per ton and North GA was as high as $30.50 per ton.

The prices quoted come from timber sales managed by the forestry division of GA Farm Bureau Real Estate Co. or sales of which their foresters had direct knowledge of.

It is important to note, that the above is a range. Prices will vary by specific location, logability of the tract, quality of the wood, amount of volume and access. Time and need of specific buyers could greatly affect any price.

Hogguide

Banned
I personally have no idea, though according to the Farm Bureau monthly magazine that I just received today, July timber prices for Chip-n-saw for the South and Middle GA was $15 - $27 per ton and North GA was as high as $30.50 per ton.

The prices quoted come from timber sales managed by the forestry division of GA Farm Bureau Real Estate Co. or sales of which their foresters had direct knowledge of.

It is important to note, that the above is a range. Prices will vary by specific location, logability of the tract, quality of the wood, amount of volume and access. Time and need of specific buyers could greatly affect any price.

Those are MILL Prices. The price that you will get from the logger will be much less than that since they have to cut the timber and haul it to the mill.
On a recent cut in the middle GA area, Diesel fuel costs were 200 gallons per day for running One Skidder, One loader and one cutter on a 250 acre "Plantation Style Cut". Add to that 3 operators, a service man and 1 dozier operator and finish saw cutter plus a boss man and 2 more service trucks.
It is not cheap.
A load is around 25 tons and they could get 6-10 loads per day.
HG

How much can a landowner expect to get per ton for his/her pulpwood right now? Chip'n'saw?

To keep this on topic, I'll probably plant some food plots once the pines are cleared.

I have an offer, and I just wondered if it is in line. I'm sort of between a rock and a hard place on this.

Thanks

Mark

Prices will vary. I know of one recent operation (Finishes this week) that got between $4.75-6.50 per ton for Chip and saw. (Trees Must Up to 3" diameter at 30 feet) Current mill rates are around $22.00 per ton at the mill.

The MOST important thing is the LOGGING CREW. That is what I would ask around about. Some crews will leave your land a mess and if you have to clean up up with a Bulldozier after they leave, you will go broke.
Be sure that they cut the trees and have the skidder haul them ALL to a loading area to delimb. Them have them push this area off to leave you a food plot when they are done and before they leave. Have them push everything in a pile where you can burn it in late February, early march before the greenup. It may take a couple of burns.

If you are around the Monroe, Bibb, Twiggs County or Middle GA county, I can recommend and EXCELLENT crew
to do your logging.
Good Luck,
Hogguide

trailhunter

Agree on the crew

Agree that the crew is the most important thing. Especially if you want to have decent trees left for the more valuable cuts later on.

th

deuce

Gone but not forgotten
This could be the wrong time of year to harvest your trees since the sap is going down. Spring time when the sap is rising is when the trees give you more tonage.

GrandSlamHunter

These are chip-n-saw prices. Redlevel asked about pulp prices. According to the same magazine, pulp prices for middle Ga ranged from $3.50 to $9.50. Using a forester to market your timber will assure that you get the best of several competitive bids. Their commission is well worth it.

GSH

Cabinetman

pine timber prices

i'm currently trying to get some pulp thinned and have had 2 offers one of $3.00 per ton and one of $6.50 per ton i have had 1 offer on the chip&saw of$13.00 per ton . but i think they will work with you . how much have they offered you ?