Arrowhead identification, please

Oconostota

Banned
I found this the other day near Villa Rica. Most likely Creek or their ancestors, or maybe from a raiding Cherokee war party.

Can any arrowhead experts provide any intel. on my find?

IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a Woodland-era stemmed point, or could be an Archaic form, hard to say for sure. There were similar small stemmed points in both periods, and quartz points don't usually show much detail. It probably predates both the Creek and Cherokee as we know them. How big is it?

Oconostota

Banned
1-1/2" long x 1-1/16" wide.

I have another that I found...get this - right behind Cherokee Estates, in Cherokee county GA. It looks almost identical.

I know lots of folks say that Cherokees & Creeks used guns way more than arrows, but as a kid, when the Coosawattee Cherokee village was opened up to public digging before they flooded the Carter's Lake re-regulation reservoir, we got several shoeboxes full of pottery, teeth, small animal bones, and a whole slew of arrowheads. I think arrows were used quite a bit by the Cherokee.

If anyone remembers the movie Holes, that place looked much like it did in that movie, with a whole bunch of people digging and sifting.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Those predate creek and cherokee by hundreds if not a thousand or thousands more years. Hard to tell by those pictures. I have woodland mounds on my property but have found bolen points right near there when the river washed out old roads or such during floods. In other words, just because there was one culture there, doesn't mean there wasn't one there before, actually people tend to always settle the same areas through milenia simply because it has everything they need, water, shelter, fuel and easy food supply. Neither the cherokee nor creek would have used lithography like that, yeah they used arrows for awhile, but they used iron heads after european contact and little if any stone points. If you think a sight is creek or cherokee you are going to find glass beads, copper bells (really bad shape), brass buttons and coins made into jewelry, basically you are going to find lots of european trade goods. I used to have access to a great creek site and found lots of trade goods, I also found tons of woodland and even archaic artifacts in the field after it was plowed. About your points I would bet they are archaic simply because by the time there was woodland culture and surely any later precolumbian cultures there would have been extensive trade in chert so the points would have been made out of a higher grade chert/flint. If you found any pottery in association with the points that would be helpful and if it were a woodland or later site you would find pounds of broken pottery for every point or work of lithography. No pottery, it is archaic period.