They keep cutting more and more of BF Grant

7Mag Hunter

Been hunting BFG and surrounding ONF for over 25 years and have noticed a decrease in overall deer population and size of deer in general...
Not conjecture or speculation, but real
world observation.....More doe days, on
surrounding property (ONF) and poor habitat Mgt on BFG has resulted in decrease in size and number of deer in the overall area....
Real world facts....

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Where are they doing most of the cutting at?

When I drove through I saw recent cutting along Godfrey road, Godfrey Lane, Hearnsville road, and Indian creek road. I didnt go over the Reids and Ponder Pines roads area.

buckchaser3

Been hunting BFG and surrounding ONF for over 25 years and have noticed a decrease in overall deer population and size of deer in general...
Not conjecture or speculation, but real
world observation.....More doe days, on
surrounding property (ONF) and poor habitat Mgt on BFG has resulted in decrease in size and number of deer in the overall area....
Real world facts....

This^^^ been hunting there 16 years and agree. Less deer less quality.

mauser64

I long for the days of the old Piedmont Experiment Station myself!

GA DAWG

I've been going to BF forever. It really flat out sucks is what it does. They selling all that timber for profit and has nothing to do with helping manage for wildlife. They would have cut the creek bottoms by now if it was legal. They need to drop the deer quota a good bit. Its kinda dangerous. Ive saw fools shoot across clear cuts not knowing who or what may be on the other side. Just because your on one side and have walked a mile. That dont mean your alone. Know whats over there. Be safe.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
They selling them trees to buy ball players.seriously they may be trying to sell them before the beetles do.

Could be on pines........... but beetles aint bothering all those big hardwoods UGA is selling.

I dont think Charlie and the DNR have any say in what the school folks decide on what gets cut.

Elkbane

The university owns BF Grant and is charged with operating it sustainably to optimize ownership value. If they are cutting timber, its because the timber is economically mature. They have a well though out forest management plan which incorporates timber growth, market values, environmental impacts and risk. And they execute that plan on time and on budget. If they didn't cut trees, they couldn't afford to own the property....and you could cross that property off as a place you can hunt.

The owners allow public use (they don't have to!) of the property through a cooperative agreement with the DNR, which has established it as a WMA. The owners could get 3x more revenue leasing the land privately instead of leaving it in the WMA program. Or they could sell it off in parcels to private individuals and you'd never be able to set foot on it again.

IMO, you guys need to cut the owners some slack; you get a "free" place to hunt at the owner's expense.

Elkbane

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
IMO, you guys need to cut the owners some slack; you get a "free" place to hunt at the owner's expense.

Elkbane

Wait a minute, this is GON we are supposed to whine :bounce: