do deer eat peanuts?

W

WarrenCo

I'm not talking about peanuts growing in a field, I'm talking about regular peanuts, in the shell, kinda like what me and you eat. I couldnt find any deer corn the other day so I bought a 10 lb bag of " squirrel food". It was mostly corn, but it also has sunflower seeds and peanuts. I threw it out around my trail camera. I guess I'll get some picks of something:bounce:

Rem270

Seen um eat the clover, not sure about the nuts themselves. Stands to reason they would though.

Bighead

They graze the plants until the nuts mature underground then they paw them up and eat the nuts. They love the dried ones too.

W

WarrenCo

what if you just throw a bunch of peanuts on the ground? in the shell? do they eat them?

ClydeWigg3

If a deer will eat a cotton bowl to get the seeds, I think they'll eat anything. :bounce:

I imagine they would eat peanuts. I know they like cotton seeds for the oil in them.

ALLBEEF

We've had em' eat the buds out of the tops of tobacco before - so to answer your question - yes they will eat p-nuts in the hull.

ClydeWigg3

We've had em' eat the buds out of the tops of tobacco before -

Now that's country!!!! A tobacco chewing buck. Say, that wasn't the deer Ray Stevens sung about in LeRoy the Redneck Reindeer?

Bighead

Yes after we harvest the peanuts they will feed in the fields for weeks on the ones left on the ground in the hull.

Now that's country!!!! A tobacco chewing buck. Say, that wasn't the deer Ray Stevens sung about in LeRoy the Redneck Reindeer?

Hey Clyde,

I believe that was Joe Diffie, not Ray Stevens, but it's a great song.

"He mixed Jingle Bells with a Rebel yell and made history that night."

That song always reminds me of the t-shirt I saw one year. It had Santa and his sleigh and 9 reindeer draped over the roof of an outhouse, and the caption from Santa's mouth said, "You Idiots!!!! I said the Schmidt house!!!!"

gadeerwoman

If you wonder what all they will eat just put out a trail camera and put different stuff out. I've tossed out old stale bread, peanuts, tomatoes, potatoes, pumpkins near the back den window and watched them eat all of it at night. Yard deer are great for trying out different scents too. You get to watch their reactions to stuff.:bounce:

ClydeWigg3

"You Idiots!!!! I said the Schmidt house!!!!"

:bounce:

That Santa, he's got a sense of humor.

I've heard of deer busting open melons and the like, so I imagine GADeerWoman is on to somethin'. Put out a camera and see for yourself. Oh, and be sure to post some here for us to see.

tdot527

Banned
yeah they will i did the exact same thing a few weeks ago and they moved the corn to eat the peanuts

doublebarrel

Deer started eating the tops out of my row of peanuts last week so i guess between the deer and the drought i will get no peanuts! BB

T

Taximan

If your talking about peanuts that are already blanched or cooked for human consumption the answer is yes but it takes them some getting used to it first. About 2 months ago a friend gave me 1500 lbs of peanuts already hulled and blanched that came from a peanut butter testing run and were gonna be trashed. I put out all 1500 lbs with trailcams over them to monitor. The deer did not take to the blanched peanuts but the raccons and fox loved them. The deer ate the growing clay peas all around the piles of peanuts but did not eat the peanuts until a couple weeks had passed by and the pea patch was getting pretty thin... even then they still didnt seem to care for them that much... not as much as the feed corn close by. I also put out 55 gallons of peanut butter and altho I have seen deer lick peanut butter in the past on other leases they still havnt touched it.. looks like Ill be burying the peanutbutter soon. Now if your talking about RAW peanuts then youll have no problem at all.. they will eat them up once they get used to the spot you put them.

KDarsey

Saw one with a bottle of Pepsi with peanuts in it the other day!:bounce:

Rick Alexander

Best day of all

last year hunting was the day the peanuts were dug on an open field of about 300 acres - not 30 minutes after the farmer shut the tractor down for the day. I'm not positive they were after the nuts or the tops as the tops were still fresh but it sure looked to me they were eating the nuts. Just after the sun went down and before it really started getting dark I had 3 groups of deer in the field with a total of 23 deer in the field at one time. Not one mature buck among them but I bet later that night they were there. Absolutely nothing the next morning though.

cpowel10

I've got about a ton of peanuts waiting to be put out for deer right now. They will eat it in the hull, but they like them better when they are shelled.

I've just started stomping on the bag a few time before I put the peanuts out to break open the hulls.