Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip 30-30

lungbuster123

i just picked up some of them for my .270 but i have yet so harvest anything with them ive also been wondering how they do????

TenPtr

Just a warning about the ballistic tip.....
They have alot of knock down power because all the energy is released upon impact as the bullet fragments inside the animal. The problem occurs when the deer does not drop in its tracks. The ballistic tip rarely passes through which means minimal blood trail. With nothing more than an entry hole an animal can easily be lost even after running a short distance. I have seen this happen on numerous occasions and that is why I have changed to an Accubond. Its similar in design but is much more likely to pass through resulting in easier tracking. Thats just my .02

mojo02

I've used cor lokts for severals years and recently noticed somewhat of a decline in penetration (all shot through the same gun). I then tried the remington ballistic tips and absolutely hated them (everything tenptr said). I have since changed to ballistic silvertips and absolutely love them. I have only killed two with them, but both were pass throughs (through the shoulder). One of the bullets did fragment, but the largest portion passed through.

dogboy

Just a warning about the ballistic tip.....
They have alot of knock down power because all the energy is released upon impact as the bullet fragments inside the animal. The problem occurs when the deer does not drop in its tracks. The ballistic tip rarely passes through which means minimal blood trail. With nothing more than an entry hole an animal can easily be lost even after running a short distance. I have seen this happen on numerous occasions and that is why I have changed to an Accubond. Its similar in design but is much more likely to pass through resulting in easier tracking. Thats just my .02
Maybe in a 30-30, but a 30-06 will blow a exit hole the size of your fist. Have taken more that 12 with this bullet. Exited on all animals and they never went more than 10-feet from point of impact. I use the 168-grain.

lungbuster123

i bought some for my .270 in 130 grain...so far i like what im hearing hoping to put it to use this weekend...if i get one ill let yall know and ill snap some pics:bounce:

BIGJOHNA

A lot of folks have thier own opinion of ballistic tips. In my opinion ( shooting winchester silvertips 168 gr in a 30-.06) I love them! I believe shot placement makes all the difference. I have had them drop and I have had them run 75 yds. I killed a hog this weekend with silvertips and brother he didnt move! Dont know if you realize how thick a hogs skin is, but brother he didnt move. Gotta love them silvertips!:fine:

TenPtr

I was basing my opinion on the orginal ballistic tip. I dont know anything about the new silver tip but it sounds like they have improved the performance.

dchfm123

My brother and stepfather both hunt with a 300wsm and used the xp2 balistic silvertips when they first got their rifles. They rarely got passthroughs. Only a few ran off but we had to track them by footprints not blood because there was not any. They have switched to the xp3's which is an awsome round. Passthroughs every time. Its like a balistic tip as far as bullet design but it is bonded and does not fragment only expands.

Public Land Prowler

I have not tried that round in a 30-30,but to add to the post I will say I have shot probably 30 deer and half a dozen hogs with ballisitic silvertips,and Had several passthroughs,and better blood trails than solid points in some cases.I have had them blow fist sized holes,and 50cent piece holes.

The one bad experience I had was on a spike.I hit a small pine sapling the size of your finger just before it hit him,and exploded.It looked like he had been shot with buckshot.He had 5 entry holes,and the jacket is what hit him in the heart.I never found the lead core.

When you get over a certain Velocity/Energy level you have a higher chance of the bullet fragmenting.That's when you need to step up to a harder bullet.Like a XP3 or core lokt.

bobcat

i know someone that shoots them in a 30-06 and he has been able to dig part of his bullet out of every deer that was over 140 lbs. Shot placement is the key with any bullet I beleive . My son shot a 3pt with 223 silver tip and deer was found a week later as there was no blood trail and crapy dog trailing it .i know someone that use to shoot the silver tip in 270 and never had a blood trail with a 10 ring shot placement , like 4 deer . I shoot remington corelock and love the knock down power .Have never switched and dont plan on it . Only reason son was using it was because that was all I could find at the time.

bluedvl11

I use the 180 gr silver tips in my 30-06 and have killed 10 deer with them, only one of the ten didnt have an exit wound. And anything that was within 50 yards had an exit I could put my fist through! I love these bullets and dont understand why so many people say they dont get exit wounds, I think its all about shot placement.

7Mag Hunter

My SIL uses Silver Tips in her 270...Pretty effective....

I would not load them in a tubular magazine 30-30 !!!!
I would use 1 in the barrel and 1 follow up bullet in the
magazine..

buckeroo

The problem occurs when the deer does not drop in its tracks. The ballistic tip rarely passes through which means minimal blood trail. With nothing more than an entry hole an animal can easily be lost even after running a short distance.

You have a very valid point, however I have had multiple mixed experiences with ballistic tips. Take a look at the deer below. It is a doe I got on the last day of the season this year. Like you stated the entry hole is tiny and there was no exit wound. I shot this one at 60 yards and she dropped like a rock and didnt move. The side facing the camera is where the bullet went in. I bet an arrow makes a bigger hole than that.
DSCN0026.jpg

Another example from this year is a buck I shot at 190 yards. He ran and left a blood trail like no other. I was shooting the same gun, my Browning .308, with the same box of shells. (newest version of the ballistic)

It is like this everytime I shoot. My last big buck, an 11 pointer, was hit and ran 10 yards and expired. The shot was from 30 yards. There again the hole was tiny going in and it didnt come out the other side nor did he bleed any.

I shot my last ballistic tip this year and am in the market to try a new shell. I don't like all of the times I have had no blood whatsoever. Luckily all of those times the deer didnt go out of site.

I miss the days when I shot Black Talons. I don't know what yall think of those, but I never had a problem recovering deer with those things.

Last edited:

dchfm123

Are you kidding me? They never made black talons for rifles. I guess you are talking about a pistol cartridge.

gsujwh

My experience with the ballistic silvertips has been great, but its in the .270 with 130 grain bullets. Ive killed three with them this year all big deer and had pass throughs on all of them, one of which was a slight mishit that went through both shoulders. Best bullet i've ever shot.

fishtail

Last edited: