What dog is best for tracking deer (blood)

tiddybream

What type of dog is best for tracking wounded deer. Don't need it often but when you need it it's important to have it. I also want the dog to be a pet for my children. Is this possible? I know a man that uses a beagle and it seems to be OK. Just would like to hear some testimony or input.

dirtroad

Gone But Not Forgotten
Jack Russel,had one(r.c.) that would find the deer if it was dead.Many local people used him and were amazed how he would"mind",with that being said,we also put in ALOT of time training him.(to track deer,blood)
I just got my daughters another one,R.C. passed on,and hope to do the same with her.(Crystal a.k.a "Chrissy")

Hoyt man

bloodhound, I got mine from hounddog. just watching his was enough for me to want one.

mossyback8874

I watched a show on tracking dogs (for deer) and in that show, the main guy was using a weiner dog (dachshund). Don't know from experience, but he could have something.

Horns

Hank Johnson in week 14 of the truck buck has a weiner dog. As a matter of fact, he shot that buck on property that he found a buck for a club member, and they let him hunt for finding the deer. I saw his weiner dog in action, and the dog found the deer.

bevills1

A friend of mine had a Rottweiler that was very good tracking wounded deer, and I've read about people using German Short Haired Pointers and Labs. I've also known men that used Dachsunds and Beagles. I think many breeds may be used with good results, and the main factor is proper training IMO. I'd recommend choosing a good breed as a pet for kids and do the proper training for tracking.

woody10

we have a yellow lab that was never trained all you have to do is turn him loose and let him work if you hit the deer blood or no blood he'll bay it up .. never lost a deer with that dog either

alligood729

Hank Johnson in week 14 of the truck buck has a weiner dog. As a matter of fact, he shot that buck on property that he found a buck for a club member, and they let him hunt for finding the deer. I saw his weiner dog in action, and the dog found the deer.

I've seen J.D. in action also, that is one bad wiener dog!! When he finds the deer, Hank, or his son Jason, are the only ones JD will let pull him off. He's worked hard for that deer, and it belongs to him!!!:)

wildlands

Find a breed of dog that you likeas most of the timeit is going to be a pet. As others have said many breeds of dogs can be trained to track wounded deer. All it takes is time and patience. year round training is need to make a top notch tracker. Look at hunting stock and stay away from show blood lines as most of the time the hunt has been breed out of them.

I concur with others on the SBMC. This is the breed we first started out with many years ago. Very protective of their family and good on fresh tracks 4 hrs or less. Older track they tend to miss. They are an air scenter and will beat many other breeds hands down on a windy day.

If you are a duck or bird hunter also consider the versitle Deutsch Drahthaar. An excellent tracking dog, very protective of family and will work a VERY old blood trail. Not for the novice handler. Need someone familar for dog training. Two good web sites to find out more are
http://www.vommoorehaus.com/index2.htm
http://www.sehc.org/

As others have mentioned the wirehaired dachshund or WHD are know for their tracking abilities. The born to track web site that has been mentioned is a great resource. They do very old tracks but in the south have a potentialy serious problem with snakes striking their head. Also many are not good with small kids. Also need to look at the European blood lines as the AKC bloodlines usually have a lot more health issues and a lot of the hunt has been breed out of them for showing.

Many hunting preserves use Labs for tracking. Make sure it is out of good hunting stock with some type of health gurantee. Starting them early and keeping at the training is very important as with all of the breeds. Great with kids just big.

Then buck the system and get a sooner. Make sure it is mostly hunting breeds. Most make good family pets and you do not have to worry about cost compared to most pure breeds that are bred for tracking are not cheap.

One final resource to look at is www.unitedbloodtrackers.org

Good luck on what ever you end up with.

Ken

cnowery13

I've got an English Bulldog that will find any down animal! Usually takes him a couple days because he is a bit slow, but man can he track that blood!!

cutnloose

buddy amines got a bloodhound that had never tracked a deer before this season. turned her out on two this season and she went straight to them. never lost the trail and has never had a day of training. shes pretty impressive.