Screven county

broadhead

Good luck this weekend to all the Screven County folks. Who's gonna try to stick one this w/end? I certainly am.

Tom Borck

Banned
Too many choices!!!

You know I will certainly be up a tree! My only problem is deciding on where to hunt! We have 14 food plots ranging from .25 ac to 2.5 ac planted in iron clay peas! A half a dozen corn fields! A 50 ac. soybean field! 20 ac. sunflower field, well it was 20 ac. until the deer ate about 3-5 ac of it. Several funnels and one really good oak ridge near a thick bedding area! Our neighbor planted 75 ac in corn and the deer are wearing it out!! Forgot to mention several persimmon trees loaded to the ground!!

Found several good rubs and one scrape!

Braodhead, you don't have any problem sticking them, it is finding them that counts! :p

Still undecided on my stand? :confused:

broadhead

Well Mr Brock...You must be "joeking"......being that you listed almost every hunting alternative that I also access to...I should see one. I hope you do too! :clap:

Malimn

Sounds like I maybe heading up there this weekend as well... Thanks to Tom I know of a couple of good spots off a huge soybean field that has seen some good activity.

Get to try out new stand FINALLY :)
hehehe

Good luck to everyone and hope you all get a nice buck this weekend.

Jon

mpowell

Mr. Brock???

I didn't know Mr. Clifton was on the boards, Tom. You'll know what I'm talking about.

Joking aside, I wish everyone success this weekend. You and broadhead definitely deserve to reap the fruits of your hard work. Hopefully, we'll all get a chance at something nice this weekend.

broadhead

Same Here

Sweaty, but no mosquitoes. Didn't need the thermacell this AM. Think I had one taking a stroll through the thick stuff, but it never came into view. Gonna try again this afternoon. Any other early Screven reports?

Tom Borck

Banned
What a day. Morning bow hunt, one heck of a mid afternoon dove hunt and back to bow hunting. Saw a doe and yearling feeding around 6:00 this eve.

Saw more doves today than I have ever seen in my life!! Killed my first dove! Actually killed three, but found two. Everybody else got their limit! I might be hooked on dove hunting know!

H

HT2

T Boink!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to see you and Jon back......

Ya'll hang around now......Ya hear.... :clap: :clap:

broadhead

Great opening weekend

Awesome weekend! Saw six deer Saturday PM and at least 6-7 in a herd this morning. It was nice and cool (for Screven) this morning. Glad I had the Thermacell! Tom Borck and I shot quite a few shells at some high flying and fast speeding doves Saturday afternoon! :cool:

Tom Borck

Banned
By far the best opening weekend bow season ever for me!! Saw doe and yearling opening day evening, saw and had a chance at a spike in full velvet and Sunday afternoon had a chance to kill a nice doe and saw a small 6 point and two other does. Normally I do not see a deer during opening bow season. Could have easily bagged two deer! The weather was not as bad as it could have been and the mosquitos were acceptable, if thats possible.

Carp

I'm glad to hear yall had a good weekend. I spent the weekend as a lumberjack. :whip: I had 12 trees down from the storm that passed through. I have enough fire wood to last 50 years! I'm so sore I can hardly move. :( I sure was glad to go to work this morning to get some rest. :bounce:

mpowell

Screven County

Hunted with Borck and Broadhead this weekend on our club and the Borck farm. Saturday night grunted in a basket 6 point with two curious yearlings still in spots on their hind quarters. All in bow range with the yearlings right under my stand and the buck at twenty yards tops. They were feeding in a sunflower field and came in after about 15 minutes after I started grunting.

Didn't see anything yesterday. Heard deer walking in the water in hardwood bottoms on both sides of the foodplot I was hunting last night but nothing appeared.

All and all, it turned out to be a pleasant weekend with good company. One piece of equipment I'm turned out to now is the Thermacell. I bought one at the end of last season but never used it. Figured I'd give it a shot after a few guys in the club said they worked and a friend of mine had success up in New York state with black flies. It sure did the trick. It was nice to sit in the stand and not have to blow mosquitoes out of my head net eye holes!

Tom Borck

Banned
9-13 Hunt

Went this afternoon, cool, damp, windy......in other words a perfect day! Saw 4 does and one buck of some sort. He was moving through the woods and I could make out some antlers on his head. Had two nice fat does standing in front of me (10 yards) for 10 minutes, they kept looking over their shoulder so I assumed something was coming......nothing ever showed up.

mpowell tagged along...he saw several yearlings, a doe and s big bodied deer right at dark.

Tom Borck

Banned
9-14

Cool and Windy a few mosquitos, not bad. A yearling was bedded up in the corn field right in front of my stand. I was in the stand for 10 minutes and a cow horn spike in full velvet came out and fed for 30 minutes. This is the same spike I saw Sunday AM. Another yearling covered in spots came out and fed for 20 minutes.

Tom Borck

Banned
9-15 Hunt

Got a late start, because somebody was running a little late! We won't mention any names mpowell. As I was settling in my stand a group of deer were watching me and did not like what they saw and high tailed to the next county. Did not see a deer.

However, mpowell scored on a mature doe!
Details:
120 lbs
15 yard shot
It ran about 25 yards and fell about 15 yards from where he shot her.

mpowell had a top-notch professional deer cleaner clean the deer for him so he would not get his dainty little hands dirty! :eek: He was also mumbling something about his new manicure ::huh:

BTW, this doe still had some of her summer coat. You could see the winter coat coming in underneath.