Weed Control on Food Plots

chrismhaase

I have a clover, alfalfa, rye and wheat food plot. Should I spray weed killer to knock down any weeds so it doesn't compete with the clover and alfalfa? I know the weed killer will most likely kill the rye and wheat, but since they are annuals that is okay, as I am more concerned about the clover and alfalfa.

What herbicide do you suggest I use? Any recommendations for a ATV sprayer?

Thanks, Chris.

1gr8bldr

I used to use Post. But that was way back. Some of these guys will know the names of the modern stuff. We actually used to use a small percentage of 24D. Like cemo, it stunted the clover but killed the rest

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Poast (Sethoxydim) is an option, as well as Arrow 2EC (Clethodim). Both are grass selective herbicides, which means they will kill anything in the grass family. Your rye and wheat are in the grass family.

I would try that first, as it won't hurt your clover or alfalfa. Then if you have broadleaf weeds seeming to come on, go ahead an mow it to try to control them. If mowing doesn't work, use 2,4-d b next. The 2,4-db (remember to get the stuff with the "b" on it) won't hurt your clover or alfalfa and will kill the broadleaf weeds.

My personal preference is using a product with Clethodim in it, along with 1 quart of crop oil to the acre.

chrismhaase

Canuck- can all of this be all be purchased at Tractor Supply? With the crop oil, do you spray that first or mix that with the herbicide ? Also, the rye and wheat will die soon as they are both annuals right? Therefore they should not be worried about?

Forest Grump

Canuck- can all of this be all be purchased at Tractor Supply?
Yes

With the crop oil, do you spray that first or mix that with the herbicide ?
Mix; can alternatively use ionic surfactant (also @TSC) to increase the uptake instead

Also, the rye and wheat will die soon as they are both annuals right? Therefore they should not be worried about?
If the rye or wheat is all you have, no grass, it should be bolting now. One mowing would finish it off without chemicals. Mow it high, 4-8". Once your cereal grains bolt, deer & especially turkeys don't use the clover, etc...as well as they do if it's been mowed. If you can't mow, spray, or just leave it til it seeds out & it'll die off.