Lime Spreader

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Hey all, I'm looking for any and all opinions and a little help. I've aquired several of the old pull type, 12 foot overall width, 10 foot wide box, lime spreaders in good condition. These are of the Ezee-Flow, New Holland, International, variety where they are wheel driven, with an auger type device inside, that was designed to spread bulk Ag lime. They also were originally designed to spread fertilizer and larger cereal grains, so they were a pretty versatile piece of equipment for the times. One piece of equipment to do a lot of things.

Last year, I cut down my Grandfathers old International lime spreader, down from 12 feet overall, to 6 feet wide. I did this to be able to get it down some trails to our food plots and also, so it could be pulled behind a 4 wheeler. We cleaned it up, replaced some bearings, put new tires on it and gave it a new paint job. It looks nice and does a good job! Last year it spread about 15 tons of lime.

My question for y'all, is I plan to sell these lime spreaders. What would be of most interest to a perspective buyer, here in Ga? A refurbished 12 foot spreader, like they were orginally made, gone over, new tires and paint or one that is cut down to 6 feet overall and made to carry about 500 lbs of lime, pulled behind a 4 wheeler and can be trailered somewhat easily?

There will be enough time and money put into these that they won't be sold cheap, however, I suspect that the "payback" on these spreader will come after spreading 8 - 10 tons of Ag lime vs 8 - 10 tons of pelletized lime.

I have pics of the original cut down spreader, if anyone is curious. Just pm me. The work on these spreaders will be done this winter, as time permits.

Any and all opinions will be appreciated!

Last edited:

denny

It would be nice to have one, but on the other hand they rent very cheap when you buy your lime in bulk. It would take many years to get you money back when you have that option. Plus you don't have to maintain it, store it, or have theft problems.

Canuck5

Thanks for the reply

Yes, you're right about that. For us, however, we have some food plots on Timber Company land that taking the full size spreader in, wasn't an option. And for what it's worth, we have a fertilizer spreader and seed spreader too.

But there is something nice about renting and letting someone else worry about cleaning it up.

For those that pm'ed me, if you would, send me an e-mail at canuck5@Bellsouth.net and I'll send some pics and video.

denny

The small spreader would be perfect for those hard to get to spots. Kinda was thinking of my situation where as we have good roads and we can get to em easy. Post some pics when you can .

Canuck5

Lil Fella.jpg This is a pic of the cut down lime spreader at work

Cut down Lime spreader 1.jpg This pic and the next one are just after it's been cut down and welded back together, but before new tires and paint. I have video of the finished painted up unit in action, but I'm not sure how to attach those yet

Cut down lime spreader.jpg