Why do injured deer go to water??

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I am going to agree with the down hill run in the short term. In the long term, a wounded animal, like any other, needs water and a wounded animal will likely need it more.

healthandprosper

I am going to agree with the down hill run in the short term. In the long term, a wounded animal, like any other, needs water and a wounded animal will likely need it more.

I agree w/ this. Most of mine go down hill when first hit, whether there's water or not. I've found several that died in the branch, though. A friend wounded one that got into a neighbor's pond one time. He had to get the guy's permission to get it. It was still alive when they got to it. It kept swimming from one side to the other, until the neighbor finally shot it with his pistol when it got to one of the banks. They kept throwing stuff at it but it never would get out of the pond.

snookdoctor

It is easier to run down hill. If you shoot one and it runs up hill, most times you have a problem.

tiddybream

When people are wounded they are always thirsty. I worked a lot of wrecks when I was in the fire dept. and I have had a lot of people ask for water especially if they were bleeding. I seen it a lot when people were bleeding out internaly. It is a natural responce for an animal to find water as well.

rutnbuk

Been tracking now on the Dial a Dog list for 5 years. Weird thing is I have yet to find one in water, Found several close to water- but none in it. I know many have seen this happen before- I just have not. Just my 1 or 2 cents. :)

JNC995

I was always told they run to water to try and stop the bleeding. That they do it whenever they are hurt. Roll around in the mud to help clog up the cut. So, when they get shoot, just a natural reaction to treat it like they got cut by something.

mgrclicket

GON Member
wound instinct

Although a deer does not have the same reasoning
to decide as a human I think that they do cool their
wounds as in privious post but remember that the edge
of water is mud and scraping or lying in it helps close
the wound. I believe that GOD gave the animals the sense
of instinct to do so.
mgrclicket

ROMANS 8:28

the cold water will clot the hole same thing with leaves.i tracked deer, and found them in creeks with there nose just above the water line still breathing. and once i got up on one and it took off runnin and didt bleed a drop more. he is probley still kickin

Core Lokt

It seems to me that a gut shot deer will run to water more often that one that isn't gut shot. I've shot them before and totally destroyed the heart and they ran 30, 40,50 yds but I call that a "dead deer running".

satchmo

I think it all depends on how bad the deer is hit. If you put an arrow through both lungs they usually run the direction they were heading, not very far ever. They don't have time to think about it. I have found them in water, and I have found them up the side of a hill that I could hardly climb.
If a deer is not hit that good they do run out of steam and down hill is way easyer than up hill.

Philbow

IMHO it is mostly when the wounded deer hits a water obstacle it stops. If it runs to the edge of a lake or river and does not have the energy to swim, it stops. If it does try to swim the excess energy required to swim causes it to die quickly and it is found in the water. If it goes down a creek/river bank and can't climb the opposite bank it stops. Also if there is thick cover near the waters edge it will be a good place to hide so it stops. It is not that the wounded deer runs to water, the wounded deer runs into a water trap.

dertiedawg

They get thirsty due to the loss of blood (fluids). They instinctively know to go to water. Sometimes they submerge in the water because submerging in water helps them to feel better because cold water constricts the blood vessels which slows the bleeding and soothes the wound.