Best Turkey Choke for Mossberg Ulti Mag 835?

1776Flintlock

I would like to shoot Hevi Shot 3 1/2" shells #6 with max load with my 12 Ga. Mossberg Ulti Mag 835.

Do you have a recommendation on what brand choke I should use?

Thanks.:)

rutandstrut

I use a Gobbler Guns Final Strut .675 Choke Tube with 3.5" Winchester Extended Range #6's in my 835. If you do a search for Mossberg 835 Patterning in this Category you can see the patterns that I am shooting with this combination.

Last edited:

brucemacgee19

pure gold .670 is what I am currently using. it produces a killing pattern to 65 yds. I am shooting the 2 1/4 oz shot #6's in the 3 1/2 inch shell...... I'll post pattern from my mossberg

brucemacgee19

IMG_3410.jpg

that is 60 yds........ mossberg 835, 3 1/2 shell, #6 shot, 2 1/4 oz., pure gold .670 I keep it inside 60 yds........ this was the yardage that I was starting to loose the pattern. anything inside 40 is shreaded.:cool:

CassGA

I shoot a Primos Jelly-head out of my 835. With Hevi-shot 3 1/2" 1 3/4oz #6, I was averaging 150 pellets in 10" circle at 40 yards. I have since got the same shells with 2 1/4 oz shot, but have not shot them yet. I anticipate a similar pattern, with more pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards.

fountain

i shot a gt. 670 with 3.5" nitro #7 last year and got +/- 275 in a 10" circle at 40 yards in a 21" bbl 835.
i plan to experiment with a jelly head and the nitro 4x5x7.5 this year to see if i can get 300+

Steven Farr

Rhino .695 all the way. Shoot hevi-13 2 1/4oz #6s or the real Nitros in them and it will make you dizzy at how good it is.

fountain

you are right. when you shoot a bird you never feel it, but getting the patterns dialed in is a different story

1776Flintlock

Thanks all!

I found the ones you mentioned:

Gobbler Guns .640 constriction, $75

Pure Gold ,choke constriction not shown, $65 (Cabelas rating 4.3/5.0)

Gobblin thunder , choke constriction not shown, $60 (Bass Pro rating 5.0/5.0)

Primos Jelly Head, $45 (Cabelas rating 4.6/5.0)

Rhino .695 , $108

Rhino had some compelling arguments about Turkey Chokes on their web site but I could go broke taking on all their recommendations. Their advice sounds good if you want the very top of the line but I've dropped enough birds over the years at having a less than perfect set up.:hair:

Just one more questions before I make a decision: has anyone experience with:

Carlson's® Ported Turkey Choke Tubes

Briley Hevi Shot® Extended Turkey Choke Tubes .675 (although no listing for Mossberg 835 in Cabelas) so I suppose that one is out.

Truglo® Gobble-Stopper Choke Tube

M.A.D. Calls Super Max Hevi-Shot® Turkey Choke Tube

Briley Ported Super Turkey Chokes (although no listing for Mossberg 835 in Cabelas) so I suppose that one is out.

I may be leaning towards Rhino but I just want to avoid trial and error and go with a good choke that won't have issues with Hevi Shot. That is my main concern.

Thanks!!!

Kevin Farr

Again, Rhino .695

And if you want to take it up one more notch, buy the Nitros reccomended for your gun. :shoot:

Whatever you buy, don't "overchoke" your gun. That is a mistake that people have a tendency to make with these 835's.

1776Flintlock

Again, Rhino .695

And if you want to take it up one more notch, buy the Nitros reccomended for your gun. :shoot:

Whatever you buy, don't "overchoke" your gun. That is a mistake that people have a tendency to make with these 835's.

Thanks. Looks like the same constriction for Rhino and Nitro, what is the difference?

Kevin Farr