Hit them with your best shot

savedjim

Whats the best shot u have ever made on a game animal with your bow. Or a shot that u are just proud of. This is your chance to tell your story. Include pics and what equipment made the shot possible . It doesn't have to be a thousand yard shot it could be a 10 yard shot that every thing just came together on. Let's get it going enjoy this thread and use it. :pop: :pop::pop:

paulkeen

e9evt5.jpg

View My Video
got them both the same day

J Gilbert

My favorite shot was also a squirrel, the first one I ever killed with a bow. My cousin and I used to practice with our bows daily (sadly, we don't get to do this anymore, I was around 12 at the time and he was 8 or 9) and we were shooting off his deck at a McKenzie deer target. We went inside for a drink, and I looked out to see a squirrel on the deer target's back. I slipped back out onto the deck with my bow right as the squirrel hit the ground. He was 16-17 yards away, directly under the target, as I took aim and drilled him. He ran to a tree but didn't make it up.

The reason this is my favorite shot is simple; it was the first time I ever had my body go on autopilot to shoot an animal with a bow. I vaguely remember lining the pin up, but after that everything was a blur. As I said, this was when I could practice shooting for hours a day, and this was when I realized how awesome it is to have your weapon become an extension of your body.

Edit: no pictures, but the bow was a PSE Spyder with an Impact pendulum sight and Tiger Tuff rest. I believe the arrow was an Easton Gamegetter 1816 with 85gr field tip

lungbuster123

I placed what I believe to be a perfect arrow on this small doe last season. It was about a 15 yard shot....she trotted about 15-20 yards and was just standing there. I honestly thought I had missed this deer but she had no clue what happened. After standing there for about 10 seconds she just flopped over and kicked a couple of time then she was done. Nothing I like better then a quick clean kill from a well placed arrow.

Nice thread idea man!

Attachments

• DSCF1497.jpg
    DSCF1497.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,286

Stick

Favorite would be my first bow kill. I shot this buck at 16 yards from my knees and on public land. I was running real late that morning and while stopped trying to pick a tree to climb, I saw the tips of his antlers coming though a thicket my way. I was able to shed my stand from my back, get my release on and pull the shot off when he gave me an opportunity. Been ruined ever since. I remember that excitement like it was yesterday!
P1010084.jpg

I was using an old PSE a good friend loaned me to "try" bowhunting, shooting Gold Tip Expedition Hunters I believe tipped with a Grim Reaper.

savedjim

Ok here's mine . I was sitting in a pine on the edge of my soybean field I had two pics of a good eight point along with several do pics. My wife was going to have our twins any day so I really needed to tag a good deer quick. It was getting late when it started a light rain that only lasted about 25 minutes . Just as the rain stopped I look to my right and saw a big doe jump the fence an enter the field followed by 3 more as the last doe jumped the fence I came to full draw she took a few steps into the field and I realesed my arrow hitting her right behind the shoulder . She runs out of the field and I realize how far she was . About 40 yards and I only have a 20 and 30 yard pin . I had held my thirty yard pin over her back and shot her perfectly. Just as I started to sit back down I looked to the left corner of the field and the big eight was standing there like a statue I quickly grabed another arrow and started trying to judge the yardage because I didn't own range finders at that time. I judged him at about 55 yards so I came to full draw and placed my thirty yard pin on his shoulder and raised it up to we're I thought my fifty yard pin would be in my sight bracket if I had one . Holding steady I realesed the arrow the deer squats quickly but doesn't run the arrow on its way the buck stands back up to his original height and my arrow connects hitting him perfectly behind his front shoulder completely passing through him. The buck spins and runs out of the field blood gushing from him . I am about to through up from the adrenalin dump from what had just taken place. I had just taken a big eight point at 54 yards and Judged him on the fly with no range finders and with only a 20 and 30 yard pins . Pure practice and knowing my equipment killed those two deer on that day nothing else.

savedjim

Favorite would be my first bow kill. I shot this buck at 16 yards from my knees and on public land. I was running real late that morning and while stopped trying to pick a tree to climb, I saw the tips of his antlers coming though a thicket my way. I was able to shed my stand from my back, get my release on and pull the shot off when he gave me an opportunity. Been ruined ever since. I remember that excitement like it was yesterday!
P1010084.jpg

I was using an old PSE a good friend loaned me to "try" bowhunting, shooting Gold Tip Expedition Hunters I believe tipped with a Grim Reaper.

Awsome deer man ur spoiled for life now:flag:

savedjim

My favorite shot was also a squirrel, the first one I ever killed with a bow. My cousin and I used to practice with our bows daily (sadly, we don't get to do this anymore, I was around 12 at the time and he was 8 or 9) and we were shooting off his deck at a McKenzie deer target. We went inside for a drink, and I looked out to see a squirrel on the deer target's back. I slipped back out onto the deck with my bow right as the squirrel hit the ground. He was 16-17 yards away, directly under the target, as I took aim and drilled him. He ran to a tree but didn't make it up.

The reason this is my favorite shot is simple; it was the first time I ever had my body go on autopilot to shoot an animal with a bow. I vaguely remember lining the pin up, but after that everything was a blur. As I said, this was when I could practice shooting for hours a day, and this was when I realized how awesome it is to have your weapon become an extension of your body.

Edit: no pictures, but the bow was a PSE Spyder with an Impact pendulum sight and Tiger Tuff rest. I believe the arrow was an Easton Gamegetter 1816 with 85gr field tip

That's awsome that's when u know ur a born killer:shoot::shoot:

skippygus73

We were having a family get together at the family cabin in New Mexico when I was around 15. Down the hill from the cabin was a stump that my Great Grandfather would feed Mountain Blue-Jays on. This stump was about 40 yds away and at around a 40 degree down angle from the patio where we watched them. He had been feeding those birds oatmeal that my Little Granny made for him for over 50 years. One morning while we were on the patio my Granddad bet me $50 that I couldn't hit one of them "Danged Birds". So I gave it a try and stuck one right between the wings nailing it to the stump. My Granddad and Dad were next to me when I shot it and they were both shocked. That little bird made all kinds of racket while it was trying to fly away. What I didn't realize is my Big Papa (Great Grandfather) heard all the noise and came out to see what was going on. When he seen that bird stuck to the stump and me still holding my bow he lost it. I thought this man was going to kill me on the spot. My Dad and Granddad had to get in the way to save me. That’s when my Granddad told him about the beat he had made with me. So he didn't want to kill me anymore. That was the last trip that I ever got to make up there due to joining the Navy until about 4 years ago some 20 years later. It was funny seeing all my cousins that I haven't seen in those 20 years and they would all introduce me to their significant others as the one that shot the Blue-Jay. I made that shot with old PSE Game-Getter and Easton aluminum arrows.

BOWROD

I have made a few great shots with a bow in hand...my favorite would have to be when we were bowfishing one night I spotted a water snake swimming dead away from us about 20 yds away ...I shot at it and SMOKED it....my 3 buddies didn't believe me til I pulled it in and put him in the boat ...I talked a lot of smack that night .!!

savedjim

We were having a family get together at the family cabin in New Mexico when I was around 15. Down the hill from the cabin was a stump that my Great Grandfather would feed Mountain Blue-Jays on. This stump was about 40 yds away and at around a 40 degree down angle from the patio where we watched them. He had been feeding those birds oatmeal that my Little Granny made for him for over 50 years. One morning while we were on the patio my Granddad bet me $50 that I couldn't hit one of them "Danged Birds". So I gave it a try and stuck one right between the wings nailing it to the stump. My Granddad and Dad were next to me when I shot it and they were both shocked. That little bird made all kinds of racket while it was trying to fly away. What I didn't realize is my Big Papa (Great Grandfather) heard all the noise and came out to see what was going on. When he seen that bird stuck to the stump and me still holding my bow he lost it. I thought this man was going to kill me on the spot. My Dad and Granddad had to get in the way to save me. That’s when my Granddad told him about the beat he had made with me. So he didn't want to kill me anymore. That was the last trip that I ever got to make up there due to joining the Navy until about 4 years ago some 20 years later. It was funny seeing all my cousins that I haven't seen in those 20 years and they would all introduce me to their significant others as the one that shot the Blue-Jay. I made that shot with old PSE Game-Getter and Easton aluminum arrows.

That's just to funny:rofl::rofl::rofl:

grouper throat

I love to see them drop in their tracks or hit them so hard with an arrow that they fall.

2-3 years ago I had been hunting this one particular 8pt that was completely nocturnal, I never got a daytime pic of him at all in the hundreds I had. The third time I sat in the stand I saw him cruising through the swamp coming my way. I nearly fell out of the tree because he was the biggest I'd ever encountered that close. He cruised up there checking the doe out. I was more nervous than ever, so I came to full draw, and an easiness came over me as I concentrated hard on his vitals and let it fly. Clipped both his shoulders and passed through his heart. His front end slammed to the ground and he pushed himself just out of my sight 20 yds away.

My second biggest archery buck was a different 8pt that was right under my stand when I shot. I spined him and he fell over kicking.

DSGB

Made a perfect heart shot on this 7 pointer a couple years ago. He came in from behind me and walked right down the trail I set my stand up for. When the arrow hit him, he mule-kicked and grunted, then ran in a circle and died 10 yards from where I shot him. Wish I'd have taken a picture of the heart, cause it had a perfect X in the center.

013e.jpg

hoytslanger87

First Deer with a bow. Passed on 6 deer in three days waiting on a buck. Had one doe come in to about 4 yards about two hours before dark but couldn't get a shot out the blind. She walked off and about 45 mins later 9 does stepped out at 30 yards. I drew back and shot the biggest one that had no youngin's complete pass through and the arrow was stuck about two inches in the dirt. she ran about 45 yards and died. Hoyt Lazertec, PSE Arrows and G5 Tekan 2

Attachments

• bow6.jpg
    bow6.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,226

nhancedsvt

Banned
Killed this buck last year from the ground with no blind. I had been seeing a couple decent bucks every night before dark in this one field. I couldn't find a tree to hang my stand in with the wind this particular afternoon, so I just backed into a small thicket on the edge of the field. Had a smaller buck come in right before this one, snort wheezed with my mouth and this guy came in looking for a fight. Turned broadside at 20 yds and I let him have it.

10709272.jpg

countryboy27012

My first deer with a bow. About 30 yard shot. I dont know how i done it. I was a wreck! I watched him for 30 minutes with my friends hollering for me a couple of hundred yards down the road (we were supposed to be meeting back at the truck 10 minutes before I shot). I remember drawing, but dont remember aiming or releasing. I thought "no way I am going to make this". But the deer mule kicked, took one jump and fell over! I was SO PUMPED!!

I knew I was going to be hooked for life.

DuckArrow

Mine was also on a squirrel. I had been sitting in the stand all morning with this one annoying :banginghe squirrel that kept running around and screaming. After an hour of this he climbed on a stump about 20 yds out. I drew back put the pin on his chin and let the arrow fly. The arrow took him just below the mouth straight thought the neck, snatched him off the stump and pin him to the base of the oak behind the stump. :banana: Needless to say he didn't annoy me anymore. Plus 35 mins later, I got a big fat doe. :fine:

I've had a few good ones in my life but my favorite one is probably this ol song dog I made a 30yrd shot on it as he walked down a little shallow creek one afternoon. I stopped him and popped him perfect and he never even made it out the creek. It was a lucky shot:huh: 8333_1071413725254_4473829_n.jpg