hunting on the decline.

Down4Count

I have seen 5 major clubs of 20-30 members each loose their lease this year including mine. most of these clubs range from 1000-15,000 acres and all along the coastal counties. atleast in this part of georgia its hard to find a club and if you do is 1500-3000 dollars a year. i was paying 1000 and thought that was to much. just my 2 cents...

Swamprat

Swamprat
I have seen in my area of NW and North Florida that have well established clubs struggle to find members the last few years....this ranges from the 600 acre still hunt club up to the 60,000 acre dog club.

I tend to think there is alot of folks who want to hunt but their finances are dictating different.

Gone Fishin

WMA's will be hopping this year...

Rodonne1

I'm in the same boat, I wanted desperatly to join a club around Bryon, Liberty, Effingham... area this year. I was willing to spend up to $700-$800 for a good club and couldn't find anything for less than $1,000 so I'm hunting Ft. Stewart for $60 but am a little bit concerned about the competition of other hunters from what friends who have hunted out there have told me. I'm going to give it a shot, if it doesn't work out then I won't hunt there next year, maybe there will be some more affordable clubs by then.

Win1917

I doubt this is the result of hunting being on the decline. People just aren't spending as freely. It sucks for the individuals effected by the cut back in spending but it's good for society as a whole.

copeland7

I do not know if anyone read the stats in Field and Stream not too long ago, but it talked about not only how its on the decline but another reason for it, not just the money, there are less and less kids hunting. If a child is not taken hunting or fishing by age 10 then they more than likely never will. Hunters under the age of 24 makes up only 12% of the total hunting population, 55+ makes up more than 26% We need to take the kids to the woods, all of them becasue when the 55+'s are gone, who takes their place?

Itchy Finger

What were the name of these clubs? Dog or still hunting clubs?

I have been as a guest on some of the area clubs in the past.

Also, it seems the timber companies are really over-pricing for leased land. I've called to inquire about some land to lease or have checked their websites to see what was available and couldn't believe what was being charged for an acre!

Most clubs do not want to have many members so they charge more to keep the membership down, but this makes it harder to get members. But when you don't charge much you have to take on more members and a lot of people don't want to join an over-crowded club either!

It's really a no win situation! Sad, but true!

Thanks

coondog96

I do not know if anyone read the stats in Field and Stream not too long ago, but it talked about not only how its on the decline but another reason for it, not just the money, there are less and less kids hunting. If a child is not taken hunting or fishing by age 10 then they more than likely never will. Hunters under the age of 24 makes up only 12% of the total hunting population, 55+ makes up more than 26% We need to take the kids to the woods, all of them becasue when the 55+'s are gone, who takes their place?

X2...the kids of today are the men and women of tomorrow and it"ALL"depends on us to teach them the importants of hunting and fishing.now i know the economy has some to do with this acclaimed deminishing popularity of the hunting but we can teach more children to enjoy these outdoor sports and do away with at least some of the slow down in the future.:banana:

Jeff Phillips

Whacking does to reduce the population and increasing the prices for leases equals less opportunity, fewer deer sightings, for more money.

And we are surprised that fewer people want to spend the time and money for a club:rolleyes:

whitworth

Unfortunately, I observed it for years

A lot of reasons for the decline of hunters and fishermen.

1. The recession affects a lot of folks. A lot of hunters don't have the money available, that they once did.

2. Costs of leasing went up. New owners of properties have higher investments than the old timber companies, that sold off a lot of Georgia timberland.
I found a 20 year old timberland permit to hunt from an old timber company, now gone. The cost was so low, I couldn't look at it for more than a few seconds. I got sick.

3. A lot of people and former hunters and fishermen, now live in large metro areas. Lot more than thirty and forty years ago. And that requires more travel and time to get to a hunting area for most. Time and travel that many will not give now and in the future.

4. Divorces have caused problems, as a lot of potential hunters are not raised by a hunting parent, and miss the outdoor schooling.

5. A lot of folks became huge couch potatoes. A condition not condusive to treking in the forests and climbing trees with tree stands. I know the work I did in the last twenty years, to stay in shape for deer hunting and river wade fishing. A lot will not pay the price of staying in shape.

6. A big population group, many hunters and fishermen, the so-called post WWII population, just hit the 65 year old age group. A big decrease will continue to come from this large and important age group, in American history.

7. Youth have more areas to attract their attention. With the glitter and speed of all the electronics, how do we attract youth to a quiet, silent, sit in a tree stand, for only two or three hours.

8. The coming of Country Club hunters. It's getting a lot more expensive to deer hunt.
They now have critical and important gizmos for the hunter that didn't exist 20 years ago. I noticed with the new tree stand, the safety harness, the rappelling rope, some anti-suspension gear, alone, are creeping towards the $1000 total.

9. The search for the Great Trophy. It creates demand and increases costs. Many search tirelessly for the unmet trophy deer.
And it will be an endless quest for many. Even if they have little chance on their 50 acre plot on the expensive lease landscape.

I'm beginning to feel that I'll have to keep a state secret, that I can go and leave an unknown forest, aided only by a map and compass. Us old timers have to guard our secrets. Some of the youngins' might wonder why we use a no-electronic compass, anyways.

Itchy Finger

Whacking does to reduce the population and increasing the prices for leases equals less opportunity, fewer deer sightings, for more money.

And we are surprised that fewer people want to spend the time and money for a club:rolleyes:

I agree! Clubs should have a set deer limit, especially for does. You're essentially killing more than one deer when you shoot a doe! So, depending on the size of the club and total membership, clubs should implement limits on does to protect the future welfare of the local herd.

You want to shoot more does than your club allows? Hunt private land or WMAs.

Also, look back at all the posts about timber companies cutting timber during the deer season. This along will be enough to discourage members from wanting to rejoin a club or keep someone from wanting to re-lease the land, especially after it has been whacked to nothing.

I know timber companies have a right to do what ever they please, I understand this. But it would be nice if the cutting would/could be scheduled out of deer season, especially if the woods are dry.

I could go on.

whchunter

Many Reasons

I'm sure the reaons are many but I see cost and increased members per acre as one.

I just read where one club is looking for members.

1. 52 acres per member and quite a bit of swamp...a little rain and they will be hunting on top of each other

2. The cost per acre is $13.52/acre for a cost per member of $697. The land is way overpriced.

:hair::hair::hair:

IT IS ONLY GOING TO GET WORSE!!
As the economy gets worse and believe me it will, the first cuts people will make will be money spent on recreation.

david w.

I'm a young generation(20 years old),My little brother is 13 and i have got him hooked onto this sport because i want to keep this sport alive. Theres nothing like getting him off of the TV and video games and take him into the wilderness and show him this beautiful place we live on.

coondog96

I'm a young generation(20 years old),My little brother is 13 and i have got him hooked onto this sport because i want to keep this sport alive. Theres nothing like getting him off of the TV and video games and take him into the wilderness and show him this beautiful place we live on.

God bless brother i mean that with everything in me!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

cephus91

In regard to item two below - increased property taxes is another huge problem. Land owners are often trying to offset property taxes with lease income, and that is diffficult to do now.

A lot of reasons for the decline of hunters and fishermen.

1. The recession affects a lot of folks. A lot of hunters don't have the money available, that they once did.

2. Costs of leasing went up. New owners of properties have higher investments than the old timber companies, that sold off a lot of Georgia timberland.
I found a 20 year old timberland permit to hunt from an old timber company, now gone. The cost was so low, I couldn't look at it for more than a few seconds. I got sick.

3. A lot of people and former hunters and fishermen, now live in large metro areas. Lot more than thirty and forty years ago. And that requires more travel and time to get to a hunting area for most. Time and travel that many will not give now and in the future.

4. Divorces have caused problems, as a lot of potential hunters are not raised by a hunting parent, and miss the outdoor schooling.

5. A lot of folks became huge couch potatoes. A condition not condusive to treking in the forests and climbing trees with tree stands. I know the work I did in the last twenty years, to stay in shape for deer hunting and river wade fishing. A lot will not pay the price of staying in shape.

6. A big population group, many hunters and fishermen, the so-called post WWII population, just hit the 65 year old age group. A big decrease will continue to come from this large and important age group, in American history.

7. Youth have more areas to attract their attention. With the glitter and speed of all the electronics, how do we attract youth to a quiet, silent, sit in a tree stand, for only two or three hours.

8. The coming of Country Club hunters. It's getting a lot more expensive to deer hunt.
They now have critical and important gizmos for the hunter that didn't exist 20 years ago. I noticed with the new tree stand, the safety harness, the rappelling rope, some anti-suspension gear, alone, are creeping towards the $1000 total.

9. The search for the Great Trophy. It creates demand and increases costs. Many search tirelessly for the unmet trophy deer.
And it will be an endless quest for many. Even if they have little chance on their 50 acre plot on the expensive lease landscape.

I'm beginning to feel that I'll have to keep a state secret, that I can go and leave an unknown forest, aided only by a map and compass. Us old timers have to guard our secrets. Some of the youngins' might wonder why we use a no-electronic compass, anyways.

DAVE

Hunter education requirements keep a lot of potential new hunters out. On countless times I have had people both young and old that were interested in trying hunting but when I tell them they will need certification that kills it.

Bkeepr

It seems like affordable leases are harder and harder to find.

I love going to the ladies only deer hunts put on by the state at several WMAs. When I started going in the mid-90s, there would be close to 300 women signing up for some of the more popular hunts. This was bad because you would have people bickering about whose stand was put somewhere first, but good because with all the people in the woods the deer were running all over the place.

Now it seems if 50 women show up for a hunt it is a lot. We are all afraid the state will get rid of the ladies only hunts. I don't know where all the women went. 3 that were in my group are dead. :( A couple of others got busy with new families.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Hunter education requirements keep a lot of potential new hunters out. On countless times I have had people both young and old that were interested in trying hunting but when I tell them they will need certification that kills it.

They can buy a 3 day "Apprentice License" for $3.50 that does not require an HSC.;)

Dr. Strangelove

I think it's money more than anything else.

I'm making significantly less than half of what I made two years ago, and that really affects what I do in my leisure time.

My hunting spot is on a WMA approximately an hour from my home, more importantly about $20.00 in gas round-trip. Having a deer processed runs $60.00 and up. ( I can, and have processed them myself, but my current living situation just doesn't allow for that)

Money has been tight, and sometimes I stay home when I would rather be in then woods, so joining a club is just out of the question at the moment.

I don't believe I am the only person in this postion.