Reasons Christianity and the bible are false

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
A day late and a dollar short in two threads now.

ambush80

What evidence do you have to say how old the Earth is? If you're going by carbon-dating let me tell you it is absolutely unreliable.

Just off the top of your head (no Google), how many different ways can you think of that are used to date very old things?

Last edited:

mdgreco191

Just off the top of your head (no Google), how many different ways can you think of that are used to date very old things?

Alright, we get it. You are not going to see anything other than what you want to. I'm done arguing.

God bless you and hope you have a nice life.

ambush80

Alright, we get it. You are not going to see anything other than what you want to. I'm done arguing.

God bless you and hope you have a nice life.

And the same to you, Good Sir. May the light of Ra shine upon you for all eternity.

drippin' rock

You can find current videos on YouTube of people that still argue for a flat earth. I put these folks and the "carbon dating is a lie" folks in the same category.

oldfella1962

History is replete with over confident, hyper-intellectual Atheist in the prime of their life, however a review of some of the most notables quotes from just before death tell a different story. Many a man may feel secure in living as an Atheist, but very few die as one.

thus the bottom line - fear of eternal CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredation. :(
I just cannot equate an omnipotent loving caring god with sending people to eternal torment. Okay, back in the old testament days god flooded the world and encouraged his chosen people to kill millions of his enemies in warfare (which isn't a sin BTW because god's either doing the killing or directing it, so it's all good - mysterious ways and all that you know!) but smiting people is amateur hour - eternal torment really kicks it up a notch! :cool:

So now some people will say "well god gives us a choice you know!" but my only question is why is the eternal torment option even on the punishment table to begin with? facepalm:

Seriously, I wouldn't even torture Hitler for eternity. A thousand years of Hitler torture? I'd have to think about it I guess. But eternity in pain for well behaved responsible generous people who only seek absolute truth through science and knowledge? :mad:

oldfella1962

Do good, be good, treat others as you want to be treated yourself.
Sound words to live by.

sure....if you want to ride the express train to the land of eternal torment/fire/brimstone! :cry:

you can't build a religion (at least a profitable successful one) around something that crude and simplistic! Where are the rules, the doctrine, the over-the-top dramatic stories? Your philosophy reeks of FAIL! :yawn:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
sure....if you want to ride the express train to the land of eternal torment/fire/brimstone! :cry:

you can't build a religion (at least a profitable successful one) around something that crude and simplistic! Where are the rules, the doctrine, the over-the-top dramatic stories? Your philosophy reeks of FAIL! :yawn:

That is why I am not in the religion construction business.

oldfella1962

That is why I am not in the religion construction business.

interesting you said that: I have a weird idea! What if I were to pick through the bible (mostly old testament but it's not off-limits so why not) and construct sermons around the most brutal, bloody, racist, sexist, violently graphic and ridiculously embellished parts of the bible?
I mean the parts that make church members roll their eyes and squirm with awkwardness and want to cover their ears and pray for a hole in the ground to open up and swallow them? :pop:

My point is the bible has a huge volume of material that can be molded to fit any narrative and prove any point. In for a penny, in for a pound - either it's all the word of god, and worthy of sharing, or it isn't. :huh:

My bet is I'd be shut down and marginalized so fast your head would spin! :bounce:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
interesting you said that: I have a weird idea! What if I were to pick through the bible (mostly old testament but it's not off-limits so why not) and construct sermons around the most brutal, bloody, racist, sexist, violently graphic and ridiculously embellished parts of the bible?
I mean the parts that make church members roll their eyes and squirm with awkwardness and want to cover their ears and pray for a hole in the ground to open up and swallow them? :pop:

My point is the bible has a huge volume of material that can be molded to fit any narrative and prove any point. In for a penny, in for a pound - either it's all the word of god, and worthy of sharing, or it isn't. :huh:

My bet is I'd be shut down and marginalized so fast your head would spin! :bounce:

No doubt.

1gr8bldr

It would shock most people to know what is in there.

centerpin fan

What if I were to pick through the bible (mostly old testament but it's not off-limits so why not) and construct sermons around the most brutal, bloody, racist, sexist, violently graphic and ridiculously embellished parts of the bible?

What would be the name of your synagogue?

Israel

BANNED
I've always liked Ambush's scripture reference...it's so very to the point.
We could start there.

"She lusted after their paramours, whose flesh is like the flesh of donkeys and whose issue is like the issue of horses. "Thus you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when the Egyptians handled your bosom because of the breasts of your youth."

Who's "giving it up" in trade for favor from the world?

660griz

"She lusted after their paramours, whose flesh is like the flesh of donkeys and whose issue is like the issue of horses. "Thus you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when the Egyptians handled your bosom because of the breasts of your youth."

That is probably one of the milder translations.
Enforces my view that man, alone, wrote the Bible. Or, God spends a lot of time thinking about sex.

Israel

BANNED
Really, why wouldn't He?

Do you think He's ashamed of what He's established?

Matters of implantations...and even explantations are very much His concern, the uprootings of things not established by righteous implantation.

We are both men, will either of us, or both...now feign an ignorance or parade cleverness as cover?

Did we marry the cheerleader? What team did we quaterback for to gain her eye? Then her ear? Then her attention by carving ourselves up to whittle down all else in her heart? What did we adopt to advantage and abandon to disuse by its manifest inutility...in our quest to put something in her belly? Did we write her poetry? Build a city? Or did we find her the more inclined to be delighted by a man slayer? What trophy did we present?What did we do to prepare her earth for our reception?

Where is our eye...aimed? What did we, what do we...reach out with then...to gain? What has taught us what gain is? What do we dazzle with to apprehend? What do we send out with marching orders...to bring back plunder? Some skill? Intellect? Power? Some remarkable ability to make this world...our own? What do we extend to see our own image and likeness reproduced...to be satisfied? And what do we withhold to starve out what we find displeasing...that is unlike us? In what universe would you and I not have a siege mentality?

Yes, the Bible is written by men, men who have "told on themselves" after finding themselves, the besiegers, themselves besieged by the stronger. He has made Himself to appear in their eye, then their ear, and then heart that something might be placed in their belly. And, they wrote. Moved by a Spirit.

And out from their belly shall flow rivers...

Sing, O barren, thou that didst not bear; break forth into singing, and cry aloud, thou that didst not travail with child: for more are the children of the desolate than the children of the married wife, saith the LORD.

When we are laid waste by that stronger, spread wide open as a city whose walls are in ruin, whose doors and gates are blown off hinges by one word...the sperma of God...something will grow...implanted.

Of course God understands sex...and war. And football, decathlons, drinking contests, and hunting. And thinking.

It is we...who do not.

We are all men busy just trying to conquer the man we know we are not. And so we take the battle outside, lest we hurt our own selves.

Last edited: