New to flyfishing

A lot of good advice in this thread.

I second the Orvis rods. Recently bought a Clearwater 7 piece and it casts extremely well.

I also have a Cabelas 5 weight and a White River 3 weight and have been very happy with both. There are many good values in rods on the market today with very descent prices. You no longer have to drop a ton of cash to get good quality. The most important thing is to get on the water and have some fun!

IvyThicket

I am looking to get into it more and would appreciate any and all input. Good starter rod and reel that won't break the bank but still performs well.... I've looked at taylor reels, abel reels, lamson, and a few others. Don't see fly gear online often on forums for sale.

I grew up in the NC Mountains and fly fished there my entire life. I'll give you what I've learned over the years of trout fishing. Trout fishing around here is less to do with the rod/reel and fly choice and more to do with your casting ability and presentation. I also put more stock in the line than I do rod and reel. As NCHillbilly stated, choose a reputible company but don't overbuy. Cabelas makes some great rods as does Redington, Orvis Echo, TFO, etc. Lamson also makes some great reels for the money as does Ross and Orvis.

Take care of your feet and body. Buy good waders and boots. Take care of your eyes too, buy polarized sunglasses. They're pretty a much a necessity on the stream. Use a net that has rubber netting. The mesh is a You-Know-What to get hooks out of. Learn stream entomology and invest in tying flies. It'll save you a ton of money on buying overpriced flies.

As for advice, always keep a spare rod in your truck because you will break one. Always put wax on your ferrules, it'll be a heck of a lot easier to break apart after a good day fishing. Practice your casting in your yard any chance you get, and always use a practice leader. Keep your feet out of the water if you can and if you must to get closer to your casting area, find a good rock to hide your feet behind. Stealthiness is your best friend. I see too many guys that aren't catching fish and they truly believe it is the fly, when in reality it is their casting, presentation and their carelessness in the stream, that is keep them from catching fish.

I'm sure I'll think of more later. I can't help you with any other kind of fly fishing but if it's done on Mountain Streams or Smallmouth Rivers, I'll try to be of any assistance that I can.

AllTerrainAngler

I grew up in the NC Mountains and fly fished there my entire life. I'll give you what I've learned over the years of trout fishing. Trout fishing around here is less to do with the rod/reel and fly choice and more to do with your casting ability and presentation. I also put more stock in the line than I do rod and reel. As NCHillbilly stated, choose a reputible company but don't overbuy. Cabelas makes some great rods as does Redington, Orvis Echo, TFO, etc. Lamson also makes some great reels for the money as does Ross and Orvis.

Take care of your feet and body. Buy good waders and boots. Take care of your eyes too, buy polarized sunglasses. They're pretty a much a necessity on the stream. Use a net that has rubber netting. The mesh is a You-Know-What to get hooks out of. Learn stream entomology and invest in tying flies. It'll save you a ton of money on buying overpriced flies.

As for advice, always keep a spare rod in your truck because you will break one. Always put wax on your ferrules, it'll be a heck of a lot easier to break apart after a good day fishing. Practice your casting in your yard any chance you get, and always use a practice leader. Keep your feet out of the water if you can and if you must to get closer to your casting area, find a good rock to hide your feet behind. Stealthiness is your best friend. I see too many guys that aren't catching fish and they truly believe it is the fly, when in reality it is their casting, presentation and their carelessness in the stream, that is keep them from catching fish.

I'm sure I'll think of more later. I can't help you with any other kind of fly fishing but if it's done on Mountain Streams or Smallmouth Rivers, I'll try to be of any assistance that I can.

Im mostly going to be saltwater fishing for reds and whatever else hits. I live very close to the coast. I already have waders and plenty of Costa's. My fly fishing experience is very very limited though. I will he ordering a rod outfit in the next couple of weeks since the weather has been so nice down this way.