Artificial only

Fishindan

Could someone give me the definition of "Artificial Only".
I know it has to be one single hook (ie. fly or spinner)
but none of the trout baits qualify, correct?
This seems a little strange to me because none of them are "natural" baits.

Dr. Strangelove

Correct, single hook artificial lures only. No trout bait, or bait of any kind.

Oh, and be sure to check your regs, on some streams you are prohibited from even possessing a treble hooks or bait, such as in your vest. That's the part that really burns me up.

I fish multiple streams in a given day, as long as I'm not USING a prohibited lure, why does it matter if I have it with me?

centerpin fan

"Any lure which is made completely of natural or colored wood, cork, feathers, hair, rubber, metal, plastic, tinsel, styrofoam, sponge, string, or any combination of such materials, in imitation of or as a substitute for natural bait. This does not include any item sprayed with or containing scented or chemical attractants."

http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/fishing/definitions/

skibum

Could someone give me the definition of "Artificial Only".
I know it has to be one single hook (ie. fly or spinner)
but none of the trout baits qualify, correct?
This seems a little strange to me because none of them are "natural" baits.

Artificial only doesn't mean single hook only. Depends on the regs for each stream. Example, the DH is single hook but Dukes is not (but is barbless only), both are artificial only streams.

Fishindan

Thanks everyone.
So if I cut a piece of a pink plastic worm to look like one of the old commercial salmon eggs and stick it on a single hook this would fit the bill? Not that I would catch anything with it though.

mdgreco191

Thanks everyone.
So if I cut a piece of a pink plastic worm to look like one of the old commercial salmon eggs and stick it on a single hook this would fit the bill? Not that I would catch anything with it though.

Yeah you could, or you could just tie on an imitation egg fly. My favorite junk food set up is a pink san juan worm and a pink egg about 1.5 feet below that. If there are stockers in the area you will hook them on one or the other.

centerpin fan

Thanks everyone.

I think you have to be careful with the plastic. It can't contain salt or scent.

The mtn man

If your talk in about using a spinning rod, try trout magnet. Stockers love them. Or try a Y2K.

mdgreco191

If you're using a spinning rod just keep it simple. Use an ultra-light set up with four pound test. Get yourself some Y2K's, imitation egg flies, and San Juan worms. Tie one or two of those on below a very small weighted bobber cast upstream let it drift down and if that bobber even ticks or moves set the hook. Then you're in the trout!

Fishindan

Thanks everyone. My wife and I went hiking up that way on 1-15 and stopped by the canoe launch afterwards. Watched a fellow catch a nice 14"on a fly rod with a small plastic worm on.
I used to trout fish years ago. Spin gear only. I do have a fly rod but have only used it for panfish. Starting to feel the itch of getting back in.

Killer Kyle

A couple of other options are Otters Eggs. They're non scented , small imitation eggs and are soft plastic, non scented and cheap. Lots of fly fishermen use them. Another option is creme earthworms which are non scented, cheap, and look like the real thing. Trout magnet grubs can be fished on a jig head, or put on a hook and dead drifted behind a split shot, and work very well. Crankbaits are allowed as long as you follow hook regulations. I almost completely quit fly fishing last year except on the smallest wild creeks and fished crankbaits a lot. The rebel wee craw and cd-1 painted in rainbow patterns just killed the trout. Don't know why, but stockers really, really love the cd-1 in a baby rainbow color scheme. Maybe it's because of the wobble. Just remember, cranks are expensive to lose! Small, unscented curly tail grubs can work just fine too. There lots of options out there once you really start digging.