Georgia Coyote Challenge

The Fever

And an anti hunter was born... if she wasn't already and yes there is a difference between helping an animal and being anti hunting.

I do have to wonder, since coyotes are having such an "effect" on the deer herd, are they also having the same "effect" on feral hogs?

If so, get ready for a hog explosion when the coyotes are gone because there's probably 12 piglets to every fawn born."

No kidding :banginghe

Then again I'm sure that coyotes "only" kill deer and never hogs... cause you know, the deer population is the only big game population going down and it's always solved by just killing coyotes. :rolleyes:

No kidding :banginghe

The Fever

When I first got on the club I'm on about 8 years ago, we had a healthy deer herd, abundance of rabbits and a huge turkey population; however, all we really hunted were the deer. After being on the lease a couple of years we started to notice the coyote population growing on the property and at times we would hear multiple sets of howls in different areas as the train would roll by. About a year or two of hearing them we noticed our rabbits and turkey populations were almost non-existent, having gone from seeing 30 to 40 turkeys running up and down the foodplots to less then 10 on most occasions and the rabbits just disappeared. As a result we let a trapper come on and between him taking them off and the timber company thinning the woods out, our population of coyotes is down quite considerably. As a result we have noticed our turkey population growing and have even noticed our small game coming back as we are getting more and more rabbits in our trail cam pictures and seeing them while we are out in the field. As far as our deer go, we had one of the best seasons in the eight years I have been there and are seeing deer similar to the numbers we saw eight years ago. I am a true believer that they need to go whenever an opportunity comes up as I have seen what can happen when they go unchecked. I applaud the program and hope that it becomes successful in it's attempt to rid the state of as many coyotes as they can.

Thinning cover is actually counter productive to these efforts QDMA has produced several articles regarding the need for dense areas for safety of fawns. Trapping and a natural balance in the prey population were likely the cause of the yote reduction.

BornToHuntAndFish

Coyote Attacks Jogger

Way to go alonghi85 & congrats on lots of good rocking yote success! Thanks for posting, Sir.:cool:

Caught a few bits of this WSB report a few times about a coyote attack on a Roswell jogger, then finally went looking for the rest of the story. The coyote had deadly rabies while the jogger has started the long series of medical shots to treat the bite on his leg.

Time = 2-minutes

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/nor...-for-morning-jog-attacked-by-coyote/499161109

Man out for morning jog attacked by coyote

Updated: March 3, 2017

happened Monday morning on Lake Charles Drive in Roswell

"I looked down and grabbed him by the neck and pushed down. Trying to get him off the leg. And then when I got him pinned down I realized it wasn't a dog. It was a coyote,"

"He was growling when he was biting on my leg."

tests revealed it had rabies

"I didn't think rabies was a good thing but I didn't realize that once the symptoms start it's pretty much 100 percent lethal,"

CoyoteAttack_20170303015736119_7447629_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

:hair:

fastball_24

I am not sure about the yote killing deer and turkey or not but I have seen a lot more of them around in and out of hunting season in the last year. So just in case it is becoming a problem I think I am going to try and help.

transfixer

Just printed off an application for a trapping license, going to put it in the mail today, ordered a starter set of traps and accessories, I'm sure its going to be a learning experience,, but it should be fun ! Hopefully I can take a few off our lease.

BornToHuntAndFish

Same liberal anti-hunter complaining again as before.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/scientists-condemn-controversial-coyote-challenge/503645302

Scientists condemn controversial 'Coyote Challenge'

March 17, 2017

Video Time = 2:05

Berry College professor and founder of the Atlanta Coyote Project . . . wrote an eight page letter to the DNR, calling the challenge reprehensible.

. . . contacted DNR officials who said, “Science shows that the removal of coyotes during spring and summer improves the survival of young, native wildlife. Managing predator populations, such as coyotes, is no different than any other huntable species.”

OR

For only video, go to next web link below . . .

http://www.wsbtv.com/video?videoId=503694846&videoVersion=1.0

Experts condemn DNR 'coyote killing challenge' in Georgia

Published on 6:10 PM

Scientist say killing coyote's in its territory creates a problem…

:eek:

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
“It’s going to kill coyotes at a time when they’re raising pups and leave them to starve to death,” he said..

What about when a coyote kills a mama turkey or goose and their babies starve to death?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What about when a coyote kills a mama turkey or goose and their babies starve to death?

But, baby coyote puppies are cuter and fluffier than baby gooses. So, they are more important. :)

shdw633

Thinning cover is actually counter productive to these efforts QDMA has produced several articles regarding the need for dense areas for safety of fawns. Trapping and a natural balance in the prey population were likely the cause of the yote reduction.

Dense areas and thinning trees are two different things. When the trees get a certain height they drown out the sunlight and the forest floor becomes open, which favors the hunter, just as it does us, but when thinned and replanted that area will be dense as all get out for upwards of five years. I am not saying that QDMA is wrong in their statements regarding dense cover but I don't believe that what they are talking about and hunting timber company property are one in the same. The trapper takes upwards of 6 to 10 yotes off the property per year.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

secerator

It's a pain to take a dead coyote to a DNR office far away M-F 8-4pm. They will clip a ear and give it back to you. Now you have to dispose of it.

Then how do they notify everyone who won? Will it be a public notification? Public lottery extraction?

swamp hunter

Cayotes will travel with a Sounder of Sows and pick off the Squealers one by one..day by day.
I have this on camera. When the Sounders get to my part of the woods I get pictures of them and an hour or 3 later the Yotes will be on the same trail.
I've never shot one,,,ever. Might one day..
The Cayotes will balance out with the un naturally high deer herd sooner or later.
Our Panthers are due for a crash real soon down here in the Glades.
Deer Harvest in my woods..
1970's and 80's , 600 plus Bucks only per season.
Hogs about the same.
1994..258 Bucks , 166 Hogs
2017....93 Bucks a Zero hogs
This on almost a Million acres. Cats are gonna do The Big Crash in a year or two.
Predators will always have a correction in numbers naturally.
The problem is lot's of folks are use to a bunch of deer that were not here before humans times. We're coddling them to grow them big and numerous...just sayin..

Forest Grump

Cayotes will travel with a Sounder of Sows and pick off the Squealers one by one..day by day.
I have this on camera. When the Sounders get to my part of the woods I get pictures of them and an hour or 3 later the Yotes will be on the same trail.
I've never shot one,,,ever. Might one day..

Wow, we ought to propagate your brand of coyotes, mine won't touch a hog, even if I shoot it for them. Maybe it's a religious thing. My place sounds like Transylvania when the sun goes down, & I have to trap hogs continually. We do have plenty of deer, more than I'd like, but due to hunters not taking the number of does I recommend, based on herd surveys 3 X/yr.

I do think coyotes are continually increasing; & they kill native small predators like foxes & bobcats. But the people who argue that shooting one when you see it is ineffective are correct: unless you are willing to wage war on them to exterminate them in your area, just like with hogs, you will fail to do anything substantive. You will just make a space for more to survive. Do nothing, or go all out, but if you try for a happy medium, you had just as well do nothing.

My objection to the DNR plan is it requires too much trouble for too small a reward:

My solution: let them bring you a tail; ain't but one on a coyote, they don't grow back. And no limit per week, what the...:huh: who cares how many they get, if the goal is to reduce the population? That seems weighted to try to prevent someone from gaining advantage by getting lots of coyotes...Isn't that the goal?

I'm all for some Grad student @ UGA to do a DNA survey to see if there really is Red Wolf DNA in our coyotes, making them bigger than the ones out West (& they are, much bigger). We don't have a Red Wolf, but we have lots of Western coyotes, & likely a museum sample if needed of a Red Wolf. Just a significant difference in W v. SE might serve. Sounds like a good project for somebody wanting a MS or PhD to me.

KLBTJTALLY1

I understand your dismay and if they were a native species I might be inclined your way a little bit. I view coyotes in Georgia like pythons and boas in the Everglades. They are here to stay unfortunately but that doesn't mean they don't need some control applied.

If this program is successful in removing a couple of thousand state wide I don't believe it will hurt the coyotes much and it might be some help for our native species.

I know I've got them on my place and I know they are causing harm to all the other species so I'm trying to take as many out as I can which won't be very many at all because I've already figured out they are a lot smarter than me. If my effort spares one fawn or one turkey poult I'll call it a success and say I enjoyed the time spent in the woods, the challenge and the added bonus of learning more about the natural world.

I agree with elfiii. We had yotes in North Florida 30 years ago. One of them was even black. After that, a steady decline in fawns and especially rabbits.

By the way; how often does anyone see rabbits anymore except in subdivisions? :huh:

With that said, if there are definite full blood Red Wolf sightings and they can be verified then I would not shoot those.

Overall, I agree with the program and intend to do some yote clearing in Stewart County. :shoot::shoot:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I agree with elfiii. We had yotes in North Florida 30 years ago. One of them was even black. After that, a steady decline in fawns and especially rabbits.

By the way; how often does anyone see rabbits anymore except in subdivisions? :huh:

With that said, if there are definite full blood Red Wolf sightings and they can be verified then I would not shoot those.

Overall, I agree with the program and intend to do some yote clearing in Stewart County. :shoot::shoot:

It`s been proven here on the forum that even professionals can`t tell the difference between coyotes and red wolves. :D

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm all for some Grad student @ UGA to do a DNA survey to see if there really is Red Wolf DNA in our coyotes, making them bigger than the ones out West (& they are, much bigger). We don't have a Red Wolf, but we have lots of Western coyotes, & likely a museum sample if needed of a Red Wolf. Just a significant difference in W v. SE might serve. Sounds like a good project for somebody wanting a MS or PhD to me.
It's already been done several times, and is scientifically documented. Eastern "coyotes" being wolf/yote hybrids instead of coyotes is not speculation, it is scientific fact. Every study done on coyotes in the east so far (and it's been quite a few of them,) have shown a good bit of wolf DNA in the "yotes." Every single one.

KLBTJTALLY1

It`s been proven here on the forum that even professionals can`t tell the difference between coyotes and red wolves. :D

I guess I will not be discriminating that much then as the lease President has advised to kill what we can.

I do respect wildlife by all means but if there's anything I can do to assist in the survival of a few species over an invasive predator then I will do so.

HermanMerman

The Coyote Challenge was referenced in a recent episode of Joe Rogan's podcast. The guest is Dan Flores. If you have time, I would recommend listening in to the first 30 minutes or so, very interesting. You can find it on You Tube (Joe Rogan Experience # 942). I won't provide the link due to some of the language.

mudracing101

Just shot one while eating lunch at the house. Wished they had a check in place closer. I'd like to enter.. oh well

Update. I called the dnr office and didnt get much help. I called my local or used to be local Warden. He helped me do what was needed to enter. Cut corner off of ear and freeze , he said he would come by at his earliest convenience and pick it up to enter in the contest. Gave name , sex, county and all that other stuff. Maybe i'll win maybe not.
Everyone has a personal opinion on Yotes and you cant change that. I will just say after some trail cam pics and nights watching 3 or more corner the neighbors cat i will shoot them if i see them. I'll never be able to shoot what i see on camera's but keeps good practice on my 7mag.;)