Macon County

Zak26

I have the opportunity to lease 300 acres in Macon County and was wondering about the quality of deer in that area. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

mizuno24jad

I have never hunted there before but I do know they have a 15 inch spread minimum on all the bucks taken, so that helps a lot

Zak26

The 15 inch minimum is actually one thing I like about the county. Where I hunt now the people who have leases around me shoot anything so its hard to let deer grow

catch22

If you dont want it, let me know.............. LOL I'll take it.

Does depend on what the woods are, but its a fantastic County and has been for years!

Dirtroad Johnson

Not sure what that particular 300 acres has to offer, with that being said (Macon County) is one of Ga's better counties for quality whitetail hunting IMO. Good luck.

shdw633

If you dont want it, let me know.............. LOL I'll take it.

Does depend on what the woods are, but its a fantastic County and has been for years!

What he said!!! Seriously though if you don't want it please let us know in the leasing section with information about how to lease it. Great county and if you like the way the woods look I wouldn't hesitate getting it. :cheers:

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I was "jokingly" going to ask you if you have been living with your head under a rock. I see your from FL. so maybe you haven't been keeping up with Ga. hunting.
Year in and year out Macon is on of the best trophy counties in Ga.
Like the others said, id go look at it and lease if it has a decent amount of woods.

Zak26

I've been hunting in sw ga for the last several years and there are some decent there but guys who lease land around me shoot whatever they see so it's almost impossible to manage the deer

bilgerat

Senior
why would the quality of the bucks matter?, while I think almost any county in middle Ga will produce a decent buck every now and then , Id rather have a ton of medium size does and bucks to fill My freezer. but that's just Me.

sghoghunter

why would the quality of the bucks matter?, while I think almost any county in middle Ga will produce a decent buck every now and then , Id rather have a ton of medium size does and bucks to fill My freezer. but that's just Me.

One reason is so people can spend 1000's of dollars on a lease,1000's on useless hunting gimmicks and 1000's on hi protein feed and luck up and kill a decent to good buck and think they have been doing right. I'm like you,a deer is a deer and a good rack is a plus

smokeeater465

One reason is so people can spend 1000's of dollars on a lease,1000's on useless hunting gimmicks and 1000's on hi protein feed and luck up and kill a decent to good buck and think they have been doing right. I'm like you,a deer is a deer and a good rack is a plus

I don't think he was asking for anyone's opinion on what they shoot or how much money they spend on hunting. He was just asking what the quality of deer were in a specific area ofmour state. Honestly, get off that high horse a bunch of you guys ride on. Not everyone is perfect.

sghoghunter

I don't think he was asking for anyone's opinion on what they shoot or how much money they spend on hunting. He was just asking what the quality of deer were in a specific area ofmour state. Honestly, get off that high horse a bunch of you guys ride on. Not everyone is perfect.

I was making a comment on what bilgerat said. If you don't like what I said scroll on by;)

smokeeater465

I was making a comment on what bilgerat said. If you don't like what I said scroll on by;)

It's not that I don't like what you said.

The comment was directed to both of you. Don't jack someone's thread with crappy comments on hunting your way or what you guys think is important in the woods. Yeah, I'll just scroll on by when people learn to just give advice or answer the mans question about Macon county.

THIS is why people don't like to post on here, you guys just can't keep your mouths shut.

wellwood

I hunt in Macon County. There are some monster deer and always some pigs. What part of the county is the property in?

davidhelmly

Zak, the amount of useless info you got has become standard to most questions here, sorry about that!!

It's a great county!! :cheers:

z71mathewsman

Not all Macon County is GREAT.It depends on the area and type of woods that are on the tract.Im just comparing it to my tract in Macon.Last year was my first year leasing a tract in Macon.I was very disappointed in my tract.Of course last year was terrible for food plots and the RUT from what I heard from local hunters near my lease there.Good Luck and let me know if I can help in any way.