GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting

Old Today, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Killmaster View Post
Show me any metric in wildlife management that isn't an estimate.
There isn't, but using the least accurate method, overestimating the population and allowing for maximum harvest that is over 3 times the estimated population every year for 15 yrs in a row is a recipe for disaster.

In the management plan it states there may be 10 deer per SQ mile or might be 100 per SQ mile... really read that, at that point it's not even a estimate anymore.

You can say the land owners, lease owners, whatever can set the harvest all you want, people cannot control themselves, that has been shown time and time again through the history of hunting... that is after all kinda the reason for the DNR.

The ones who do are in the minority and are still affected by the ones who don't.

As far as what I harvested, all year I saw... one, a 9 point that i shot, I never saw the first doe.
Old Today, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
There isn't, but using the least accurate method, overestimating the population and allowing for maximum harvest that is over 3 times the estimated population every year for 15 yrs in a row is a recipe for disaster.

In the management plan it states there may be 10 deer per SQ mile or might be 100 per SQ mile... really read that, at that point it's not even a estimate anymore.

You can say the land owners, lease owners, whatever can set the harvest all you want, people cannot control themselves, that has been shown time and time again through the history of hunting... that is after all kinda the reason for the DNR.

The ones who do are in the minority and are still affected by the ones who don't.

As far as what I harvested, all year I saw... one, a 9 point that i shot, I never saw the first doe.
You may want to consider one or two solutions: either change the property you are hunting and/or learn how to hunt.

I hunt leased land in middle Georgia and a couple of WMA's and national forest in the mountains. We always see deer. And we always kill deer. Sometimes it requires a lot of hiking, scouting, trial & error, but we always manage to make it work. I'm going to call you out and say that your problem is you. Not the State regs.

Youre in the south. You're in Georgia. You've got a forum that allows you to connect with any in any county in any part of the state if you want to join a new club. You've got about 1,000,000 acres of public land available for an extra $19. And one (1) deer is all you could see?

Last edited by Buckman18; Today at 05:51 AM.
Old Today, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post

I'm pretty familiar with the deer plan being the editor. What that part of the plan states is that population estimates are done at a regional level and that individual properties can vary from 10 to 100 deer per square mile, depending on how they are managed. That's not the same as saying a region has 25 deer per square mile, but the standard deviation is 10 to 100 which is what you took from it. I'm not defending the bag limit, I wish I had it as a management tool; however we have gotten some substantial reductions in doe harvest by reducing either-sex days.
Old Today, 06:53 AM
Official Political Forum Meme Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Killmaster View Post
I'm pretty familiar with the deer plan being the editor.
Talk about being a post killer..
Old Today, 07:09 AM

Saw plenty. Passed on two BIG does that in retrospect I wish I'd shot. Was hoping one of my big bucks were following. Ended up killing two bucks a 7 and an 8 both probably 2 yrs old. Glad I did cause life went to pot after that and never go to hunt again. But plenty of meat to last we don't eat but about 2 a yr