Were you able to harvest plenty of deer for meat

Muddy Water

Kind of funny that SC also has had no limits at all on bucks for many years in most areas, and a five-buck limit in the rest of the state, but restricted doe harvest. And lots of deer. Hmmm.

It's almost like there's some sort of relationship between more does and more new deer. Who knows though, I'm not a scientist.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
How are your TC pics looking now, are you getting several that made it through the season?

On my two 100 acre pieces of property I am getting pics of 8 does on each place. I attribute that to the fact the drought was severe and my food plots have finally come on and that is all they have to eat until some browse starts back. I do not consider my local population to be much bigger than that since I run cameras 24/7/365.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Kind of funny that SC also has had no limits at all on bucks for many years in most areas, and a five-buck limit in the rest of the state, but restricted doe harvest. And lots of deer. Hmmm.

South Carolina must not have any coyotes.. ;)

Browning Slayer

Since 2012 and no. Last year was the worst year yet.

Wow, hard to believe you haven't seen an uptick in the population over the last 5 years.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
South Carolina must not have any coyotes.. ;)

At the moment, it has about 5 less than it did last year in the part I hunt in, but there are still plentyplentyplenty of them. :)

biggdogg

Folks round here would lose their minds if Georgia went with limits like that!

Anyways, I shot one doe at Panola Mountain and my son shot a big spike on a water authority hunt. Meat is almost gone, but we had a good season.

thumper523

2 is Enough

I got 2 nice does off WMA early and I just buck hunt my club. Never saw the one I was after. We do have some restraint on our club about shooting does and it's paying off. Saw plenty of deer, plus we got hogs too. To me, a ground up hog eats better.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Wow, hard to believe you haven't seen an uptick in the population over the last 5 years.

In 2015 we had a big increase in bucks but they all disappeared last year. From Sep 16 to Jan 17 I got lots pics of the same 5 does, a spike, a forkhorn 4 pt and a basket 6.

Jim Boyd

We have a pretty strong coyote herd but they are not awful.

Restricted Doe harvest is not that accurate, at least in our zone.

$20 buys you 4 doe tags for any use after 15 September and either most or all Saturdays are doe days.

For us, what helps I think, is that we are about 4:1 doe vs buck harvest and we work on a "no reason to leave" philosophy.

Plenty of food, minerals, cover, minimize pressure and a strong initial herd have really made it easy for us. When you add good trigger control on juvenile bucks, I think that our processes become more and more sound each year.

What I cannot overemphasize - and am very thankful for - are the RIGHT members. That is the make or break point.

Best of luck to all.

Dustin

Show me any metric in wildlife management that isn't an estimate.

There isn't, but using the least accurate method, overestimating the population and allowing for maximum harvest that is over 3 times the estimated population every year for 15 yrs in a row is a recipe for disaster.

In the management plan it states there may be 10 deer per SQ mile or might be 100 per SQ mile... really read that, at that point it's not even a estimate anymore.

You can say the land owners, lease owners, whatever can set the harvest all you want, people cannot control themselves, that has been shown time and time again through the history of hunting... that is after all kinda the reason for the DNR.

The ones who do are in the minority and are still affected by the ones who don't.

As far as what I harvested, all year I saw... one, a 9 point that i shot, I never saw the first doe.

Buckman18

There isn't, but using the least accurate method, overestimating the population and allowing for maximum harvest that is over 3 times the estimated population every year for 15 yrs in a row is a recipe for disaster.

In the management plan it states there may be 10 deer per SQ mile or might be 100 per SQ mile... really read that, at that point it's not even a estimate anymore.

You can say the land owners, lease owners, whatever can set the harvest all you want, people cannot control themselves, that has been shown time and time again through the history of hunting... that is after all kinda the reason for the DNR.

The ones who do are in the minority and are still affected by the ones who don't.

As far as what I harvested, all year I saw... one, a 9 point that i shot, I never saw the first doe.

You may want to consider one or two solutions: either change the property you are hunting and/or learn how to hunt.

I hunt leased land in middle Georgia and a couple of WMA's and national forest in the mountains. We always see deer. And we always kill deer. Sometimes it requires a lot of hiking, scouting, trial & error, but we always manage to make it work. I'm going to call you out and say that your problem is you. Not the State regs.

You're in the south. You're in Georgia. You've got a forum that allows you to connect with hunters in any county in any part of the state if you want to join a new club. You've got about 1,000,000 acres of public land available for an extra $19. And one (1) deer is all you could see?

Last edited:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

I'm pretty familiar with the deer plan being the editor. What that part of the plan states is that population estimates are done at a regional level and that individual properties can vary from 10 to 100 deer per square mile, depending on how they are managed. That's not the same as saying a region has 25 deer per square mile, but the standard deviation is 10 to 100 which is what you took from it. I'm not defending the bag limit, I wish I had it as a management tool; however we have gotten some substantial reductions in doe harvest by reducing either-sex days.

Browning Slayer

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Saw plenty. Passed on two BIG does that in retrospect I wish I'd shot. Was hoping one of my big bucks were following. Ended up killing two bucks a 7 and an 8 both probably 2 yrs old. Glad I did cause life went to pot after that and never go to hunt again. But plenty of meat to last we don't eat but about 2 a yr

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I hunt leased land in middle Georgia and a couple of WMA's and national forest in the mountains. We always see deer. And we always kill deer. Sometimes it requires a lot of hiking, scouting, trial & error, but we always manage to make it work. I'm going to call you out and say that your problem is you. Not the State regs.

There's always somebody on here that will accuse you of being either a lousy or lazy hunter if you aren't seeing deer. Apparently these people all seem to have ESPN.

lampern

There's always somebody on here that will accuse you of being either a lousy or lazy hunter if you aren't seeing deer. Apparently these people all seem to have ESPN.

You can't see or kill whats not there. Yes deer can be overharvested.

Dustin

You may want to consider one or two solutions: either change the property you are hunting and/or learn how to hunt.

Youre in the south. You're in Georgia. You've got a forum that allows you to connect with any in any county in any part of the state if you want to join a new club. You've got about 1,000,000 acres of public land available for an extra $19. And one (1) deer is all you could see?

I'm in northwest GA, property isn't the problem I hunted a little over 1,000 acres private land and 22,737 acres of public land in GA this yr... the one deer is all, I have a 7,000 acre lease in TN which was a completely different story as to how many deer I saw... and amazingly it's only 12 miles over the sate line but a different world than anything the next 50 miles into GA, this is GON not TON, so those deer don't count in this thread.

As far as my hunting ability... yeah, that may be it... I mean saw plenty of bucks, does, fawns etc. in TN, killed a 9 point 4+ yr old buck in GA... it's those GA does that are the elusive trophies now days.