Chattahoochee/Chestatee WMA Rifle hunt

Buckman18

Sure thing, do you know where your going?

Well, I did... Lol

Daughter now has a soccer game scheduled Saturday at 10:30, so it'll be early afternoon before we can go. I'm PM you then and see what's happening..

The mtn man

Well, I did... Lol

Daughter now has a soccer game scheduled Saturday at 10:30, so it'll be early afternoon before we can go. I'm PM you then and see what's happening..

Ok, if I have service, I'm just going to still hunt an area I have in mind, if I don't find any sign, I'll be off to the lake.

Buckman18

Ok, if I have service, I'm just going to still hunt an area I have in mind, if I don't find any sign, I'll be off to the lake.

10-4. The lake sounds fun too! But by the time I get there you'll probably need some help dragging. I'll bring the sled! :shoot:

Bkeepr

I will be going to Chestatee to hunt Saturday, got my spot marked on GPS. Same area I saw one and missed one!

The mtn man

10-4. The lake sounds fun too! But by the time I get there you'll probably need some help dragging. I'll bring the sled! :shoot:

If I shoot a bear where I'm going, I'll be packing it out. What are the rules on packing one out? Don't you have to bring the head , and sex identification.

Buckman18

If I shoot a bear where I'm going, I'll be packing it out. What are the rules on packing one out? Don't you have to bring the head , and sex identification.

The past few I've killed I packed out the head and hide in one bag and the meat in another. The dnr guy was ok with that, and he pulled a tooth to send it off for aging. they like the hide so they can measure it for estimated weight.

The mtn man

The past few I've killed I packed out the head and hide in one bag and the meat in another. The dnr guy was ok with that, and he pulled a tooth to send it off for aging. they like the hide so they can measure it for estimated weight.

Gotcha

Killer Kyle

You must have the head, hide, and might want to keep the claws for yourself. The head and hide adds considerable weight to a pack out. Could add as much as an additional 30-75 lbs depending on the size of the bear.

twincedargap

Hadn't heard any shots round me. Saw a 75# or so about 840. Nothing since.
A

vbhtml]

Killer Kyle

It was a bust for me this morning. I set out on a hunch, and hit a big bench I had never been to before. I had spotted several big bears at both the bottom and the top over the last several weeks, so I hit the bench in the middle thinking it was part of their travel route and likely a good place to catch one.

Wrong.

Nothing but red oaks, pines, maple, sourwood, and chestnut oaks. There was a little deer feeding sign and some deer tracks and trails, but in terms of bear or hog sign, it was deader than a door nail. The deadest place I have been in weeks. No bear trails, droppings (new or old), paw prints in the leaves. Literally no sign whatsoever. I messed up this a.m. on the hunch. Might be back to deer hunt that bench, but it is one place I can forever check off my list in terms of early season bear hunting. I was out of the woods by 10:00, and went down the the river on the WMA to fish for a couple of hours before I came home. Good luck to the rest of you guys. I'll be back out there tomorrow evening!

tree cutter 08

How was the woods y'all are hunting? It was a wreck the first spot I was at. Went to another and it was fairly good shape except for broke limbs. I eyed a gap from the road that I usually hunt and looked like a tornado went through it.

Gerrik

How was the woods y'all are hunting? It was a wreck the first spot I was at. Went to another and it was fairly good shape except for broke limbs. I eyed a gap from the road that I usually hunt and looked like a tornado went through it.

My favorite spot was hit & miss. Some big trees down, and some that just had the branches snapped off.

Gerrik

Tracking dog had blood for a while, and lost it at water. We trailed tiny spots of blood for almost 4 hours, and came up empty. Left my house yesterday morning @4am. Got home this morning @4am. It was a long, exciting, and frustrating day.

I want to thank jbogg & joe Brandon. Those 2 guys were in camp eating dinner, when I came by at almost 10pm. And they immediately offered to help. Couldn't ask for nicer guys.

Buckman18

After my daughters soccer game, we made it to the WMA about 3:00. Had an hour walk, and about 30 minutes in the hurricane had decimated an area to the point it was to big of a headache to continue with a 10 yr old...

So we called an audible, and went to another area. Sign was only so so but by now it was getting late. Set up and made the most out of a screwed up evening. Then, heard something walking. Very steady. Not a squirrel! This is big game coming. Got daughter positioned with her 243, a bear or hog is fast approaching.... Then here he comes!!! Hearts beating, could see vegetation moving, I'm already coaching daughter what to do and to wait on my go ahead... Then I see antlers. Antlers??? Not just antlers, but a freaking Rack! Out steps a 4.5-5.5 yr old 8 pointer. Feeding on acorns. Watched him for over 10 minutes THROUGH the scope! I've hunted Chattahoochee all bow season and this is the first deer I've seen! A legit 115"... Bear/hog only hunt, all we could do was watch!

Oh well, how often is it in the mountains do you get to watch a very mature buck in September, with the crosshairs on it's shoulder, and can do nothing about it. Definitely one for the memory book!

Gerrik

I'll most likely be back out there, next Saturday. That ridge I was on had a TON of sign. They are moving, above 2500ft.

HunterJoe24

Saw a crap ton of bear and hog sign and alot of hogs. Shot a 125lb sow yesterday afternoon, I'll upload pics later with a story. And missed a 300+ boar at about 250 yds. I could see his tusks from that far away(3 ridges over). That one hurt cause I rushed the shot cause of how fast everything happened, it sucked to say the least. The high areas are covered up in acorns and hogs.