Clayton County area question

patriot15joe

Has anyone had much luck finding anything in Clayton county? I have read that the area was populated by the Creek but there doesn't seem to be many specifics.

Thanks

Last edited:

mizuno24jad

Ive never searched for anything but i grew up in clayton county and pretty much all land in clayton county is populated or privately owned

drippin' rock

Most everything I have found has been in clayton co. Sandy flood plain on the river. 40 to 50 quartz points, a few flint, and more potshards than I can count.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
95% of the "arrowheads" and stuff found predate the historic tribes by thousands of years. Most "arrowheads" are actually atlatl dart points or knives from long before the bow and arrow was introduced to the southeast. There have been people living all over this area in large numbers for at least the last 15,000 years, so I doubt that there is a county in the whole region where there hasn't been lots of artifacts found. Tribes and cultures come and go, but a good spot to live is a good spot to live. Many sites that are a good place to live will have a mix of artifacts from the Historic period, such as the Creek Indians, all the way back to Paleo mammoth-hunter times. Unfortunately, a lot of the best spots to live are now covered by our towns and cities which were founded where they are for the same reasons other folks built their towns and villages there before we came along.