Goldfish As Bait

BRIAN1

Anyone Ever Use Goldfish As Bait For Flatheads? The Local Bait Shop Sells Them And I Was Thinking About Trying A Couple.

MOTS

I've used them several times with success, when limited on time and couldn't get bream. The ones bait stores sell are legal as I think they can't produce.

Corey

On the bottom with a Carolina Rig, use the Gold color....Sorry could not help it :)

BRIAN1

Funny.............but What I Meant Was He Has Orange Ones And Gray Ones(they Have Lost Their Color). Are They Better?

Sultan of Slime

Just a bit of knowledge, a goldfish will not work any better than your natural bait in the body of water you are fishing.Now like mots said you can use them if you dont have time to catch bait.But they are not a magic flathead bait.The one positive that I have found is that a 6 inch goldfish will last a little longer than with a heavy gauge 10/0 hook in it than a 6 inch bream will.

little rascal

Last time

I looked, the pet shop had Goldfish cheaper than the bait shops. The rosy red looking deals. On second note that fish truck that comes through, he was here today and headed towards Athens, sells the fathead minnows(Rosy Reds) by the pound. A pound is about 200-250 minnows for 8.50, that's over around 20 dozen @ around .03 ea. or .43 cents a dozen. "Cheap"!!!!:bounce:

Corey

I think the ones at the pet store can reproduce, Is that not a no no in a lake?

Sultan of Slime

I think the ones at the pet store can reproduce, Is that not a no no in a lake?

yes sir.

just go down the creek and catch you some bullheads or some Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ---- heads.They last a while.

j_seph

yes sir.

just go down the creek and catch you some bullheads or some Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ---- heads.They last a while.
Man you did not have to cuss him:bounce:

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've heard that rule before, but cannot find it in the regulations anywhere. I can find regulations about which lakes you can and cannot use blueback herring and the regulations for using bream or bluegill for bait, but nothing about goldfish and whether or not they have to be sterile.

Corey

You know I have been going to the lake for a long time now and I have never seen anything that looked like that. Or maybe I did but
never until now payed it any attention.

I have been doing some studying on live bait fishing, have not done
much of it other than (minnow, worms and crickets)

Corey