Henry .22 thoughts

bwbb88

I have been wanting a Henry .22 for years and am finally where I can get one. I’ve read mixed reviews online about the craftsmanship and durability of the stock finish. I’m wanting this for my two kids to help teach them to shoot. figured I’d reach out to a source I trust which is to say yall good folks. Thanks for the help.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I've had one for several years. My son has shot many squirrels with it. It's a well built rifle that should last for generations. He takes pretty good care of our guns so it is still in fine shape. You won't go wrong buying this gun

Red dirt clod

Bought a used one from a guy at work, still looks new. Used some shorts to kill a groundhog in my garden a couple years ago. Absolutely love it, just mounted a new leipold on it last week. You won't regret buying it.

TurkeyH90

I think you can get a better 22 for the money. The Henry's that I've seen ain't all the accurate. As for you can keep all brass and marketing they sell you on.

Fork Horn

My son wanted a Golden Boy a few years ago but I talked him into a Marlin 39 instead, thinking it'd be a better rifle. We ended up buying the Golden Boy a couple years later and I absolutely love shooting it. It far exceeded my expectations on both accuracy and quality. Great made rifles. I know there are better .22s available for the same money, but the Henry is a fun gun to shoot.

Let me add that although I have nothing but good things to say about my Henry rifle, if I were teaching my kids to shoot, I probably wouldn't start with a lever action. To me a good bolt action is much safer. I never liked my kids having to let the hammer down with a round in the chamber. A bolt action just seems safer to me, especially with a shooter with less experience.

greg_n_clayton

I will agree that the newer ones are not the quality they once were. I have one in the box now. If you decide to go for one, try to find one with the bead front site and dove tail at the back, or plan on changing to such. The wide square sights don't work for me. Also pay attention to the ammo it shoots. A lot of them only shoot LR. The one I have shoots S, L & LR.

bwbb88

Thank yall for the input, through my research I have decided to go with a Marlin 39. I have a line on one and will be meeting a guy tomorrow to look at it.

bwbb88

Well, I am now the proud owner of a 1957 Marlin 39A. Its not in show room condition but it shoots straight and I gave a little over 400 for it, not much more I could ask for. Now all I need to do is get the young’ns out there for some plinkin.

rwh

definitely better than the henry. the marlin is an investment that will keep going up in value and it's considered to be the best lever .22 ever made if i remember right. the octagon henry rifles are too heavy to be practical

HossBog

You did good, bw! I've been wanting a lever in my .22 collection. Mine are all shooters, not wall hangers. I hunt with all my guns. Hmmm, they need a good working out...

GeorgiaGlockMan

I bought two of the golden boy 22s for my kids along time ago as heirlooms.

They are great fun. A little stiff out of the box but they slick right up with a little use.

The only thing I didn't think through (and someone else mentioned) was a young kid lugging that weight around the woods. My boy "wanted" to carry it almost as soon as he could walk.

I should have got him a cricket first for our "hunting" trips to the farm.

Dr. Strangelove

I've a got a Henry, it's alright. Fit and finish are about like anything these days, nothing to write home about but it's accurate enough.

HossBog

I've got an old Browning BL-22 and it is a killer!

opp, you wouldn't want to sell that one would you?

How's that for my buymanship? I buy it from you anyway.

GA native

I don't understand the criticism. I've played with two Henrys. They are fine rifles. Fit and finish look good, accuracy and reliability have been exceptional.

I've put at least a thousand rounds through a Henry pump action the past three years. I've only seen it jam once. And that, I blame on short cycling the pump. At 30 yards it will shoot a tight group. It puts my 10/22 to shame.