Lake Sinclair water front property questions

Dog Hunter

Anybody with knowledge of water front property? Corp or Ga power change rent on property along shore? Dock permit process? Any other info. Thanks in advance.

FootLongDawg

Anybody with knowledge of water front property? Corp or Ga power change rent on property along shore? Dock permit process? Any other info. Thanks in advance.

Don't know all of Ga. Power rules but many people say you cant do jack without their permission. And they have people motoring around the lake making sure you are compliant. Sinclair1 will probably be along shortly to give you better info.

sinclair1

Sinclair. Do you own the land or lease the whole lot?
We own the whole lot down to the waterline. I still have to get approval to take out shoreline trees, but it's my land. It's a erosion thing inside of 20 ft, but as long as you have a seawall they will approve on the phone.

We only have one tree in the buffer now days, they approved them all out when the seawall went in.

The docks have to be a certain design now days. They won't approve stuff people dream up, it's only slip and swim platform, or double slip and swim platform up to a max allowed.

If you don't have 100 ft of shoreline it's not a given to have a boathouse. In some rare instances, people have 100ft but the channel swings to their shore and they won't approve if they know about it.
There are some lease lots nearby, but I know nothing about them.

3ringer

We have a Ga Power lease lot on Jackson. The lease generally stays the same for many years. I recently tried to get a covered rv port for my camper. I was denied because I already have two out buildings. We had to get a permit to take down trees. We also have to plant something in there place. Ga Power is kind of like a HOA in a way. They have done a fantastic job on Jackson getting rid of the fishing shacks and replacing with beautiful homes. Ga Power lease lots is not all a bad thing. They have only revoked one owners lease that I know of and that was because of drugs.

Darien1

I own my lot. The house, dock, boat house and out building were here when I bought it. I haven't heard a word from Ga Power with the exception of them sending me a lot # plaque to mount on my boat house to identify the property.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
We have to pay Ga Power $1050 annually for the portion they own up to 10 ft elevation above water. Reason is part of the house sits on it.
Folks who build nowadays don’t make that mistake.

We still have to pay taxes to Putnam county for the remaining land.

The GPC folks in the office at Wallace dam on Oconee manage both lakes.