Need some advice

erhunter

Hunting large tract public timber. Found plenty of fresh sign this morning but heard only distant gobble. Tried ineffectively to close the distance. Should I go back to same spot where I saw sign but heard very little? Or just move on to new place?
In this same vein, how many of y’all “deer” hunt turkey? Just sit where you find fresh sign and wait, regardless wether you hear anything off the roost?
On one property I hunt, I’ve been hunting from deer boxes and seen more completely silent turkeys killed than I’d have ever expected. Anyone else had this experience?

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Hunting large tract public timber. Found plenty of fresh sign this morning but heard only distant gobble. Tried ineffectively to close the distance. Should I go back to same spot where I saw sign but heard very little? Or just move on to new place?
In this same vein, how many of y’all “deer” hunt turkey? Just sit where you find fresh sign and wait, regardless wether you hear anything off the roost?
On one property I hunt, I’ve been hunting from deer boxes and seen more completely silent turkeys killed than I’d have ever expected. Anyone else had this experience?

I won't deer hunt a turkey. Won't shoot one that doesn't gobble. Won't use a decoy. I'm in it for the chess match.
If you can move closer to the gobble it helps in most cases. But, if there's a lot of sign, sometimes you just have to let them get heated up. More than likely they're just not vocal. Patience and 15 to 20 minutes between soft calls works in the long run. A lot of times they may be moving your way and not gobble until they are about to walk up.

Last edited:

DLH_Woodstock

I won't deer hunt a turkey. Won't shoot one that doesn't gobble. Won't use a decoy. I'm in it for the chess match.
If you can move closer to the gobble it helps in most cases. But, if there's a lot of sign, sometimes you just have to let them get heated up. More than likely they're just not vocal. Patience and 15 to 20 minutes between soft calls works in the long run. A lot of times they may be moving your way and not gobble until they are about to walk up.

Do This! But I would shoot one that doesn't gobble. I've had them sneak in on me!!!

LTAnderson

hard to "deer hunt" turkeys in a good looking spot on public land because you never know who was there yesterday morning and killed all the gobblers in my opinion

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I won't hunt a bird that hasn't gobbled. It's the gobbling that excites me and that's why I turkey hunt.
BUT!! At least 50 percent of the time...a bird could be gobblin from the roost and and on the ground. And when he's on his way to you he MAY go silent...and just pop up somewhere 30 minutes later. It's just what they do.
I bet that bird you heard will be gobblin from his roost in that same area tomorrow mornin!

killerv

quiet sneak in birds deserve to die just like the rest. Just because he slips in quiet doesn't mean you didn't do your part. kill'em!

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
quiet sneak in birds deserve to die just like the rest. Just because he slips in quiet doesn't mean you didn't do your part. kill'em!

Oh yes sir I love killin em regardless of if they gobble to the gun or if they sneak in quietly!!!
It's the go hunt a spot and never hear them gobble at all and keep waitin for em that I don't have the patience for.