Blood in the snow!* Kill Video*

longbowdave1

Thursday morning at 3:30 am, I was on my way to the first day of Spring Turkey hunting for me. Another 5" of snow had fallen, it was 24 degrees, and I was not sure how my days hunt would go. I had never hunted for Turkey in the spring with this much snow on the ground. There was at least 8" of snow cover in the open areas, and more than 12" in the wooded area. The temperature was supposed to reach 45 by mid day.

The walk in was a workout! A blind, chair, shotgun, tripod , two cameras, and a day pack. Although daylight was beginning to break, I had to head in slowly, tying mot to break a sweat. About a quarter mile later, I was at my ambush sight at the corner of the corn stubble field. I got set up and settled in for the days hunt. Excitement and expectations were high.

It began to warm up quickly as the bright sun and low winds helped the thermometer to rise. The snow covered tress began to drop the previous nights snow cover. Dripping and dropping, it became a noisy woodlot. I called and sat waiting for the birds to show, no response at all. At 10:30, in a flash A heavy coated coyote appeared from my right, angling right and away from me. He was a good distance out, but no yotes get a free pass. I let a wad of #5 fly, peppering his backside, but he was gone as fast as he arrived. This was the only action of the morning, and too quick to roll video.

About 11:45 I headed back to to a quick power nap, after I checked the SD cards on some scouting cameras I had out for 2 weeks. The cameras confirmed I was set up in the right spot, with literally hundreds of photos of turkeys. Some with multiple Toms fanned out, parading around the ladies. I plan to make slide show out of the trail camera pictures, some pictures are top shelf stuff. Worthy of a framed picture.

After my hour siesta. I headed back for the afternoon hunt. Retracing my morning footsteps, I headed back in. Not more than 50 yards from the jeep, I noticed fresh Turkey tracks paralleling my tracks, and I got that sick hunting feeling. Did I miss my opportunity while napping? As I my made way back to the blind, the turkey tracks were headed the same direction as me. When I got to the blind, two set of tracks were now just 10 yards directly in front of the blind! Dang, I hate when that happens.

Attachments

• Spring Turkey 8.jpg
    Spring Turkey 8.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 574
  • Spring Turkey 7.jpg
    Spring Turkey 7.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 574
  • Spring Turkey 6.jpg
    Spring Turkey 6.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 573
Last edited:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Did I miss my opportunity while napping? Dang, I hate when that happens.

Been there, done that, got a case of the t shirts in all the popular sizes and colors up in the attic.:bounce:

longbowdave1

I thought that it was possible these birds may not be far, who knows?? I crawled back in my blind, and carefully got set up again. Readjusting my three legged blind chair in the melting snow at my feet. I got out my trusty Box call. I began with a quiet purring, and then let out three soft yelps, just I had done in my morning sit. Instantly, I heard a Gobble! He sounded close, but down the 100 foot drop of on the rocks directly behind my blind! I waited about two minutes and repeated the sequence. He was closer, and louder!

Time to put down the call and pick up the 12 gauge H&R Single shot Turkey gun. Model KLM I believe, as in Kicks Like Mule! It's a 3 1/2inch magnum built on a youth frame gun. In just a few seconds, I hear a third gobble, He is right of my left shoulder, behind the blind! I can see his head and beard through the side window.

I pull back the hammer, turn on the barrel mounted camera, and wait for him to pass the blind. I put the florescent pink bead right on his head area, just 5 yards away, and drop the hammer. The model BLM goes off with the usual Mule Kick! My camera spins up, I fly back in the melting snow, catch myself, catch the gun, spin the camera back down, and the Tom is flopping around in the snow. Head no longer functioning properly.

I had to laugh, and thank the Lord at the same time. It was the only video I captured all day. I'll laugh every time I see it, and probably ice my shoulder too.

We only get one tag, so I'm done hunting, But I am videoing and calling for my brother for the rest of the weekend.

The bird weighed in At 20 pounds even on the scale, 7/8 spurs, and about a 9 " beard.

I guess hunting in the snow isn't that bad at all. I hope my brother can repeat the scene before Sunday is over. I fixed the camera mount so it won't kick up. I can also focus on videoing without have to man a gun.

Attachments

• Spring Turkey 1.jpg
    Spring Turkey 1.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 549
  • Spring Turkey 5.jpg
    Spring Turkey 5.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 548
  • Spring Turkey 4.jpg
    Spring Turkey 4.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 547
  • Spring Turkey 3.jpg
    Spring Turkey 3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 547

turkeykirk

Nice pictures. Congratulations.

longbowdave1

Thank you gentleman. It was a lot of fun. I hope we get my brother a bird today. Yesterday was slow.

Gaswamp

very cool thanks for sharing

longbowdave1

Thank you again. A fun hunt for sure, that bird will eat good. We were not so lucky on my brothers hunt. Only saw two hens, and only heard gobbling at first light.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Great hunt and fine bird, Dave. Enjoyed your story.

wvdawg

Staff member
Fantastic! Congratulations!

longbowdave1

Great hunt and fine bird, Dave. Enjoyed your story.

Thanks Nic! Hope you are doing well! Most turkey hunts I wind up eating crow, not this time. I'm guessing all the wing feathers will go to member on the traditional archery forum.

longbowdave1

Reviewing my rail camera pictures from the 3 days of hunting, here a few birds that walked right by when I was not in the blind, and the one that walked by when I was in the blind.....

Attachments

• wildgame  3day pictures 002.jpg
    wildgame 3day pictures 002.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 85
  • wildgame  3day pictures 003.jpg
    wildgame 3day pictures 003.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 86
  • wildgame  3day pictures 004.jpg
    wildgame 3day pictures 004.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 84