Straining Fish Grease?

MOTS

I know there is ALOT of fish cooking members on here. Does anyone have a better idea of straining the oil after a fry? I have only used the round kitchen strainer, and it seems to make more of a mess than anything else.

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
I think a strainer is what my wife uses.

leroy

We cook alot of fish and we never strain our grease we let it cool then pour it up slowly leaving most of the drippings in the pan what does get in will settle to the bottom.

bull0ne

Banned
A few layers of cheesecloth does a good job of removing the dredgings from the grease but if you will pat the fish down before seasoning & mealing them you won't have nearly the problem to deal with after the cooking is over........using cracker meal to meal the fish with helps too.....

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
I use a large plastic funnel with large filters that are made for straining the grease left over from frying turkeys that I purchased at Bass Pro. It works just as well on fish grease. Just make sure you allow the oil to cool before straining.

BowArrow

For small amounts, I use a paint strainer supported by a large plastic funnel. These are the cheap, paper strainers found at paint stores. I throw them away after using.

For large amounts, I use a custom made stainless steel 100 mesh strainer.

I strain the cooking oil while it is still warm as it will flow thru the strainer faster.

MOTS

Thanks! I have a few more options to try, which sounds much better than the average 4 inch strainer.....MOTS

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I fry my french fries last, that tends to bring all the junk to the top and you can dip it out. Then strain through any of the cloths mentioned.