TroyBoy30

snp1203175951_zpstn2pbrjm.jpg

snp1203175639_zpsnldxsvsb.jpg

snp1203170517_zpsfuflaxhl.jpg

snp1203170537_zpsk3c82i0l.jpg

Coenen

Those are nice shots and all, but where are the fish pictures? ::ke: :stir:

littlejon

The SI and DI pics are impressive. Can I achieve that quality with a Helix 7 Gen 2 out of the box? Does it have the capability?

Coenen

The SI and DI pics are impressive. Can I achieve that quality with a Helix 7 Gen 2 out of the box? Does it have the capability?
The Short answer is probably going to be "No". Looks like he's using the MEGA transducer, probably with a larger screened unit. Larger screen = more pixels = better res on the screenshots.

You can still expect more than adequate performance out of Helix7 on DI and SI. I've been impressed with my Helix 5 in both modes, even with just a couple of basic settings tweaks it's provided me some really nice shots.

Edited to add pics. Sorry, they're cell phone shots of screens, but you get the idea. Got them a couple of weeks ago, picked off several stripers out of these schools / in this area, so that's my guess as to what they are. I'm sure I could probably get better results with further tweaks, but these are fairly indicative of the performance I get on a regular basis with minimal fiddling.

Attachments

• helix1.jpg
    helix1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 608
  • helix2.jpg
    helix2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 609
  • helix3.jpg
    helix3.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 603
Last edited:

TroyBoy30

you should be able to see the same quality with any mega unit with a quality install. I'd be happy to set up a trip to the lake to help you out. I'm running pretty much out of the box settings except the freq range, sensitivity, scroll speed an contrast

Pretty sure those are solix units

solix 15

littlejon

I'm good with my 2D just want to clean up DI and SI thanks Coen

TB any help I'll take, :cool:

Attachments

• 20171124_154704.jpg
    20171124_154704.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 420
  • 20170715_140951.jpg
    20170715_140951.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 420
  • 20170724_131245.jpg
    20170724_131245.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 421

Coenen

I'm good with my 2D just want to clean up DI and SI thanks Coen

TB any help I'll take, :cool:
I wouldn't say your shots are terribly different from mine. Sitting still, or nearly still is going to affect things. If you've got some spots marked that you like, try having a look at them sitting still / moving very slow, versus cruising over.

The big "trick" for me has just been learning to match chart speed as closely as possible to boat speed. In my kayak, that means bumping up (all the way) to 4 when I'm running A-B(3-4mph), and back down to 1-2 when I'm pulling bait or actively fishing(0-1.5mph). Aside from that, I don't fiddle with much besides sensitivity(as high as I can get away with).

The thing I'm still in the dark about is when it's appropriate to switch between the lower and higher frequencies for each 2D and DI.

littlejon

I normally only use 2D so that's why the speed is slow. Vertical fishing in those pics. When I use DI or SI my speed will be 3-4 mph and I will match that with my chart speed. I just don't take many pics of my screen so I have no examples at those speeds. I have seen other examples of TB images with SI that was posted and they are impressive. Mine look just ok :flag:

TroyBoy30

On the console when I'm scanning i run the scroll speed 1 up from boat speed. My boat idles at about 3.2mph so I run scroll speed at 4. other than that, I max out the mega range for si and di and use max mode for both.

on the bow i run scroll speed on 10, max mode and high chirp